View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 18:49   #16
Mr_Bandman
TFH Graduate

Re: Open Letter To Jkr- Please Help

I have had fun batting around all the theories and postulations on this site. I enjoyed the series immensely. My daughter, who reads voraciously at a very high level and with whom I have shared the HP series for the past 4 years, has it in perspective. She understands that it is all make-believe. Just like everything else she has read, from Curios George to Junie B Jones to The Chronicles of Narnia. She’s loves the HP books, loves the characters, loves tossing around theories with me just like I do with people from all over on this site---but she does not mistake them for reality, nor does she let any of this stuff dominate her life, except in that she loves nothing more than to curl up with a good book and escape into a make-believe world for awhile. And what on earth is wrong with that? My kid is bright, engaging, conversational, imaginative, thoughtful, articulate---all the things a good reader should be. For that, I am indebted to JKR, as much as I am to A.A. Milne, C.S. Lewis, Beverley Cleary, E.L. Konigsburg, Barbara Park, and Dr. Seuss, among dozens of others. As far as my opinions, I was right about some things, wrong about others; satisfied with some final resolutions, heartily disappointed in others. But, this....Paintball....this is absurd…..I think you are deflecting your own manic obsession on the rest of us who merely thought they were well-written books that captured and held our collective imagination for a short time. You're acting like the Trekkies who got mad at Shatner for his lampooning of them on Saturday Night Live. I also think you enjoy being the subject of conversation amongst people all over the world on a dozen different websites. The pouting and whining has to stop, and so does the ego-gorging. The last 2 words of the title of this thread is telling---”please help”----that’s not a bad idea----seek help!
Mr_Bandman is offline   Reply With Quote