Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Future Book Speculation > Discussions on Book 7

Discussions on Book 7 "... Scar." THE END

Old 12-06-2007, 11:59   #1
paintball
TFH Graduate

The Destruction of the Soul-The biggest Irony

I just can't get out of my mind a possible ending to the series that in my opinion would be the perfect ironic ending. I finally had to put it in writing, so I added another page to my website here: The Big Irony It is not very long and will not take long to read. When I get a chance, I will add this thread as a place to come to discuss this new addition to my site.

I would appreciate your imput after you have had an opportunity to read this essay. I don't really think of this as much a theory as a wish.

Thanks

Paintball
paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 17:36   #2
Mr_Bandman
TFH Graduate

Re: The Destruction of the Soul-The biggest Irony

Okay.....an interesting viewpoint, to be sure. There are very deep spiritual implications here. Your "wish" would certainly put a plausible explanation to Dumbledore's assertion that "there are things far worse than death" and his comment that "merely killing you would not satisfy" him---if the thing that is worse than death is for a person and her/his soul to completely cease to exist. Hmmm......I'm going to mull this one over for a bit....more later.......
Mr_Bandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 20:29   #3
paintball
TFH Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bandman View Post
Okay.....an interesting viewpoint, to be sure. There are very deep spiritual implications here. Your "wish" would certainly put a plausible explanation to Dumbledore's assertion that "there are things far worse than death" and his comment that "merely killing you would not satisfy" him---if the thing that is worse than death is for a person and her/his soul to completely cease to exist. Hmmm......I'm going to mull this one over for a bit....more later.......
Thanks for reading my ramblings Mr_Bandman. I really don't think there is any way we can predict with any degree of certainity as to the details that JKR is going to give us about the afterlife and the effect of Voldemort's actions on his eternal soul, but I am willing to bet that she will at least give us some tidbits on this subject.
Old 12-06-2007, 20:47   #4
Hoggy Warty Hogwarts
Outside Playing Quidditch

I really like your thoughts on this, i can actually see it happening that way not saying that it will but i can see it never the less, it is very interesting though.
Hoggy Warty Hogwarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2007, 00:52   #5
Mr_Bandman
TFH Graduate

Paintball---The thing that sticks in my mind is that the "ending" of a person's soul does not fit with your argument that JKR's storyline is based on logic and not on fantasy. Albert Einstein stated that his reason for believing in some form of afterlife was based on logic----life is energy and energy cannot cease to exist.
Old 13-06-2007, 01:51   #6
Dr Winterbourne
Time Turners

The theory makes me think of a belief from some Buddhist schools of thought.

My understanding is that they hold that a soul does not come originally from Earth, but from a heavenly realm, another dimension. Due to wrong doing in that dimension, a soul cannot be allowed to stay - as they no longer meet the requirements for being in a paradise, so, the souls fall down. Eventually, as a last chance, they fall to the Earth.

Here on Earth, one is separated from the truth of the Universe - you are lost in a maze - and cannot recall your true home, or be sure of the truth of Gods and Buddhas. Because of this uncertainty, this lack of proof, a soul on Earth can be rewarded - if it can hold on to its original, good, nature in this place of temptation and pain and blindness, then it is worth rewarding, and can go home, once it has reached the required level of goodness again.

Should, however it fail to improve, it remains on Earth after death, to try again.

Should it grow worse, it will reach a point where the gods have no choice but to destroy it, as it is too evil to exist in any plane. Then, there is a complete destruction of body and soul. This, I believe, could very well be the fate of Voldemort, and a delicious irony it is, that his quest, through evil, for immortality, will lead to his permanent erasure from existence.
Dr Winterbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2007, 06:29   #7
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball
At the same time I hope her punishment of Voldemort is not something done to him by others, but something he did to himself
This is allways considered the best form of punishment or dicipline . . . Having no option than to suffer the consequences that were brought on yourself.

There is no doubt that splitting the soul damages it . . . just common sense would tell you that. Since the only way (we are told) to split the soul is to commit murder, that would also imply that only the person themselves is capable of damaging that soul. We have discussed briefly in other threads whether the soul can be rejoined once split. I think the consensus was that a soul split, but left in the body can eventualy heal, in otherwords, redemption is possible. But if the split part of the soul is removed so as to produce a Horcrux, then it may never rejoin the remaining soul portion in the body. It is also assumed that when a Horcrux is destroyed, that entails destroying the encased portion of the soul as well as the object (only I'm not certain that the object is completely destroyed, the diary was still a book with a hole in it, the ring just had a crack in the stone.) So, I guess, what I'm taking a long time to say, is that when the person elects to seperate his soul, that soul can then be destroyed, if it can be destroyed in part, it can be destroyed completely.

Some argue that Harry cannot be a murderer . . . first it is not murder when it is self defense, second, in destroying the Diary Horcrux, and in planning to destroy the others, he has already began the process of Voldemort's destruction. Harry is just killing him a piece at a time . . . but note . . . Harry is not doing it alone . . . Dumbledore destroyed the ring Horcrux, and it is possible that RAB was able to destroy the locket Horcrux before his death.

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 06:41   #8
paintball
TFH Graduate

Recently the posters on another forum have gotten me wondering even about the concept of an immortal soul in JKR's world. The dementor's kiss seems to be in conflict with the concept of the immortality of the soul. In JKR's world it appears that a soul can be destroyed through no fault of the soul. It apparently can be destroyed simply because it is in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Any comments on this apparent conflict with the concept of an immortal soul?
Old 19-06-2007, 07:29   #9
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

The only real info we are given on the Dementor’s kiss comes from Lupin in PoA . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoA
"They call it the Dementor's Kiss," said Lupin, with a slightly twisted smile. "It's what dementors do to those they wish to destroy utterly. I suppose there must be some kind of mouth under there, because they clamp their jaws upon the mouth of the victim and -- and suck out his soul."
Harry accidentally spat out a bit of butterbeer.
"What -- they kill --?"
"Oh no," said Lupin. "Much worse than that. You can exist without your
soul, you know, as long as your brain and heart are still working. But
you'll have no sense of self anymore, no memory, no. .. anything.
There's no chance at all of recovery. You'll just exist. As an empty
shell. And your soul is gone forever... lost.

This doesn’t imply that the soul is destroyed, but that it is removed from the body. Granted, it does not say what happens to that soul either. In this case, the body continues to exist, but in a soulless state. We really do not know what the dementors do to that removed soul. It is possible that it could be destroyed, but not stated either way, one would assume that although the destruction of the soul would be dreaded, the continuance of the soul in the being of the dementor, would be continuous torment even greater than being near them as in Azkaban, and would be even more feared. It could be then, that at the death of the dementor (can they die????) the soul could then be released to the afterlife . . . or . . . . behind the veil?

The quote by Dumbledore – “Death is but the next great adventure” as well as the presence of Ghosts, implies at least in Rowling’s wizarding world the soul is immortal.

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 07:34   #10
Mr_Bandman
TFH Graduate

Well....it at least implies that the soul can go on beyond the life of the body, but it does not necessarily mean the soul is indestructable....