Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Chamber of Secrets

Discussions on Chamber of Secrets "In my fifth year, The Chamber of Secrets was opened ..."

Old 13-05-2005, 19:36   #11
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Re: Tom Riddle's Motivation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boing
He is obviously embarrassed about his heritage by his reddened face when Dippet asks about his parents and he has to say he has a Muggle father. This leads me to believe that at this point, he was somewhat normal. He simply didn't want to have to go back to the orphanage, so he stopped letting the basilisk out in the hopes that he would be allowed to stay at Hogwarts.
Tom was definitely embarrassed about not being a pureblood. He deceived his followers into believing he was a pureblood as was shown by Bellatrix's admonishing Harry in the Department of Mysteries for even suggesting that Voldemort was part Muggle. Since she was one of his closest, most loyal followers, it seems that he was indeed living a lie. Voldemort runs an organization of evil that to our knowledge only allows purebloods into it's fold, yet his nearest and dearest followers have now been enlightened with the realization that Voldemort might not be who he says he is - thanks to Harry Potter. I wonder if this could possibly cause any dissention in the ranks?

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2005, 04:04   #12
Sir Cadogan
Noble Heart, Steely Sinew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortescue
Tom was definitely embarrassed about not being a pureblood. He deceived his followers [...], it seems that he was indeed living a lie. Voldemort runs an organization of evil that to our knowledge only allows purebloods into it's fold, [...]
Voldemort seems to follow a familiar pattern: Put up strict rules, but don't follow them yourself ... Sounds somehow reminiscent of certain fascist leaders in Germany some decades ago: The ideal German having to be tall, strong, blond and blue-eyed (ever seen photographs of Hitler and Goebbels? LOL).
Old 14-05-2005, 06:28   #13
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortescue
yet his nearest and dearest followers have now been enlightened with the realization that Voldemort might not be who he says he is - thanks to Harry Potter. I wonder if this could possibly cause any dissention in the ranks?

Now that is a very good question!!! We could only hope as much! But I think that though there may be a very few disgruntled DE's, Voldemort will point out that he hates his Muggle Father, despises the blood in his veins (if there really is anymore ) but that that very thing is why he now seeks to destoy the rest. But, yes. . . wouldn't it be nice to have a little civil war amoungst the DE's! You know, as I think about this. . . this could be what holds Voldemort back in HBP. Saving the war for book 7. Otherwise I have been having trouble figuring out why Voldemort wouldn't just start the war now since everyone now knows he is back. But then. . .with everyone knowing he is back now. . . he is likely to be getting new volunteers too. . . But I do love the idea of dissention in the Ranks Fort!!!

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2005, 15:54   #14
Boing
Pops in randomly

The DEs who were at Voldemort's "rebirthing party" (as he called it) know about his father - he tells Harry he is standing upon the remains of his father who was a Muggle and a fool. So, if they were going to leave him based on that - it seems they would have done so already instead of sticking with him through OotP.

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2005, 12:21   #15
Alz
Head Unspeakable

WTG Miss Factuality

You have to remember that at the end of the day - Voldemort is still the declared heir of Slytherin - and we all get the impression that his bias plays heavily into the DE movement.
As such they arent standing up and behind a half blood etc - they are standing up for what he is, what he represents and what he is doing.

Lets not digress too far from the initial question here that was questioning Tom Riddles motivations ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boing
After watching the TV airing of CoS tonight, I had some questions and went back to the book for answers - I never like to base posts on the movies as they can change things around too much.

So, in both the movie and the book, when Harry enters Tom Riddle's memories in the diary, he follows him to Dippet's (Hogwarts Headmaster) office where Dippet tells Tom that under the current circumstances, they cannot allow him to stay at Hogwarts over the holidays and that he would be safer at the Muggle orphanage.

Tom says, "Sir - if the person was caught - if it all stopped . . . "

It seems his only motivation for not letting the basilisk out anymore was so that he wouldn't have to go back to the orphanage.

He is obviously embarrassed about his heritage by his reddened face when Dippet asks about his parents and he has to say he has a Muggle father. This leads me to believe that at this point, he was somewhat normal. He simply didn't want to have to go back to the orphanage, so he stopped letting the basilisk out in the hopes that he would be allowed to stay at Hogwarts.

So, he wasn't completely bad to start off. JKR has already told us that he has never loved anyone, so we know he wasn't completely normal, but he seems to have normal teenage concerns (fitting in, etc.).

Do you guys think his motivation for framing Hagrid was to stop the worry over the basilisk to stay on at Hogwarts and just be normal or do you think it was to stay on at Hogwarts and further explore the Chamber/work on his hostile world takeover . . .?

If it was to just be normal, was this a critical point for Tom Riddle? Would he have turned out differently if they had let him stay at Hogwarts that summer? Or was he just the ruthless killer from the start?
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote