Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Chamber of Secrets

Discussions on Chamber of Secrets "In my fifth year, The Chamber of Secrets was opened ..."

Old 05-10-2006, 03:29   #1
SnarkologyMajor
TFH Graduate

Who Closed the Chamber?

Just noted something that has blown right by me many times-forgive if someone already posted this When Harry enters the Chamber of Secrets he comes to the solid wall with the two entwined serpents-

pg. 305-"Open," said Harry, in a low, faint hiss.

He has to speak parseltongue in order to open the chamber, so who closes it?

pg.323-"Harry heard the stone doors close behind them with a soft hiss."

This indicates that someone else was there who speaks parseltongue and sealed the Chamber back up-who? It wasn't Harry, the diary was destroyed along w/Tom's partially sustained form-any ideas?
SnarkologyMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:38   #2
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

Re: Who Closed the Chamber?

I thought that, like most of the fiction stories, the doors close automatically once you enter. I think that door needed the parseltongue just once to open and close, and then again to exit and close.
Voldemort was there in that Chamber too, at that time as Tom Riddle. So if closing of the door was required, Voldemort could have done it, staying hidden.
But if you ask about when he exits after things are done, I would have to say that we have to be able to assume the first option(door closes itself). I think it would be logical that way.

"Let me tell you the secret that had led me to my goal. My strength lies, solely in my tenacity."
-Salazar Slytherin the founder of house Slytherin

"Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which all difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air."
-Godric Gryffindor the founder of house Gryffindor

"We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge all around us. And the more we gain, the more is our desire."
-Rowena Ravenclaw the founder of house Ravenclaw

Last edited by cagedcactus; 05-10-2006 at 04:40..
cagedcactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 04:32   #3
SnarkologyMajor
TFH Graduate

She likes to hide her clues in plain sight-within the words themselves ei. Knockturn Alley (nocturnally), Diagon Alley (diagonally), Occlumency (A Clue Men See),-those are just some very simple one out of thousands After 6 Books I figure she wants us to assume the doors closed on their own with a hiss-but as she has proven many times(most recently w/invisibility cloak)-never assume anything when it comes to JKR. Tom Riddle/Voldemort vanished when the diary was destroyed-do you think he was still around somehow? Intrigueing...We do know of at least one person who doesn't need an invisiblity cloak to be invisible and can appear to be in more than one place at a time
Old 06-10-2006, 05:48   #4
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

hmmm....
You have a point there. I admit that she does drop fine clues on us. And just when we think its nothing, it turns out to be a big deal.
I would like to see what other members think.....

"Let me tell you the secret that had led me to my goal. My strength lies, solely in my tenacity."

"Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which all difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air."

"We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge all around us. And the more we gain, the more is our desire."
Old 07-10-2006, 03:14   #5
SnarkologyMajor
TFH Graduate

Just to stir the pot a bit JKR did give a hint in HBP that Dumbledore at the very least understands parseltongue....
Old 09-10-2006, 10:25   #6
Alz
Head Unspeakable

LOL - I like the fun ones - nice one SM

First off - CC makes my initial reaction in his opening points - I thought it just closed on it's own - and not having the DVD to hand I'm not sure if that was ever shown or what - I sometimes feel if something is relevant, it is kept in those films as well ...

But the spec is great - and your last point is certainly added weight to the idea in my mind, there is no doubts in my mind Dumbledore knows enough of parselmouth to get by!
But then think on that - if he was there - would he have let Harry take on the threat so early on in Harry's developement?
I think there is a chance yeah - if he was somewhat training Harry - he could have been around to watch the events take place and jump in if required ...
But, always one of these - I think if Dumbledore had witnessed first hand all the events - he would have made that link to horcruxes even earlier maybe?
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:32   #7
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

Just wanted to add here. Alz, yes. The door opens to Harry, as he speaks. And as he is descending that ladder, the door is seen closing behind him, or in back ground I should say.

Old 12-10-2006, 04:22   #8
SnarkologyMajor
TFH Graduate

Well now I have to check the DVD again cagedcactus, somehow missed that-but then I was giggling because it shows them flying up through apparently a hole in ground instead of into Myrtle's chamber! I'm not counting things that aren't included in the film as non-relevant though, especially after Voldemort neglects to mention his quest for immortality in GoF, arrrgh that's a sore spot Oh and Alz just to add to what you said-Do you honestly think it was just a coinkydink that Hogwarts just happens to get a batch of Mandrakes (apparently the only known cure for being petrified) the very year that the chamber is opened again? For that matter is Harry's assumption that no one got killed because they all "just happened" to not look the basalisk directly in the eye a correct assumption? I guess they all just got lucky...
Old 12-10-2006, 04:56   #9
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

well, the only answer to your post there SnarkM is "build the bridges".
In a story like like Harry Potter, JKR cant explain every single move in details. We have to be able to assume fine lines. If she went on to tell us how the door opened as well as closed, how mandrake potions are brewed same year as the chamber, how Harry knows that the people who got petrified, didnt die, because they saw reflections of eyes instead of straight on, then the books would be looooooooooong, and boring at some point.
Your thread about who closed the chamber is a darn good one. It stands a good debatable topic. Voldemort's presence there also creates stir. But at this moment in the storyline it doesnt get the kind of importance it would have earned, when the book 2 freshly came out. Or the movie for that matter.
As adults we love to discuss things like this. When I saw this posted by you, I went, "Aha... no one saw this, did they?" But to kids, who also are a big part of fan base, these details are too much to handle. JKR probably wants to keep it action packed, and not lose the young audience.

Last edited by cagedcactus; 12-10-2006 at 04:59..