Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Chamber of Secrets

Discussions on Chamber of Secrets "In my fifth year, The Chamber of Secrets was opened ..."

Old 17-04-2005, 02:39   #11
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Re: What was Dobby thinking at the end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz
What is the punishment for a house elf that commits a crime? Just because he didn't like his previous employer doesn't mean he wants to top him off! LOL! I have had a few bosses that weren't my favorite but I wasn't about to slip sone arsenic in his cuppa! But then, I don't own a wand and I am not a figment of someones imagination!
LOL kaz Sounds like the definition of "going postal"

No, Dobby seemed like he was bound only by the magic that kept him in the service of the Malfoy's, not by any kind of caring or loyalty. I think his fate was not what he wanted - the Malfoy's treated him badly and he seemed intelligent enough to know there was more to life then what he had and that's why he was drawn to Harry - at first by rumors about Harry, and then later, by his own impression of what kind of person/wizard Harry was. (I imagine after living with Draco, Harry was like a breath of fresh air.) That's what I meant earlier about how Dobby seemed more human then the other house elves. He seems to be able to appreciate kindness, and even though he still has the house elf hang up about having to punish himself, though he is no longer enslaved to anyone, but a working man getting a paycheck.

I think Dobby's humaness would stop him from killing anyone unless he was given no other choice.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2005, 10:40   #12
Haley's Comet
Mature Graduates

Good point, Fortescue! I've think that Dobby did not mind serving anyone as long as he was treated with some respect by his master. Dobby would probably give up everything in order to serve Harry Potter for the rest of his life, without payment. But , I'm kind of keeping an eye on Dobby, as I'm not 100% convinced as yet, that he is totaly honest.
Haley's Comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2005, 12:51   #13
Alz
Head Unspeakable

I'm not convinced that Dobby or any other House Elf has a choice but to follow the orders and smile as much as they feel their rights have been ignored - i think this was the act of when they were enslaved by the magical world.

Once Dobby was freed - well that is a different matter and all bets are off.
He has escaped the ties that bind him and as such - he is capable of what ever powers the House Elf's have that the Wizarding world wanted to supress.
Dobby is a loose cannon
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2005, 15:34   #14
Haley's Comet
Mature Graduates

That thing about the loose cannon, Blaise, darned good point. I wonder when it's set to go off, and who's going to get hurt? Now that Dobby (as you said) is capable of all the powers that the wizards wanted to suppress, he just might get his hands on a wand. I kind of had the ending in my mind about Harry fighting voldemort and Hermione going against the Malfoy's. Dumbledore is lying injured inside the building but he was saved by Hagrid (who died protecting him).
I never gave a thought about Dobby going against Lucius. Who knows? Maybe Hermione and Draco might duel it out together. After all, he does have a score to settle with her. That was one heck of a punch she gave him in POA. Dropped the blighter with one hit! There are times where I can hardly wait to see the outcome of all this. It'll be a daisy....count on it.

"I'm Your Huckleberry."
Haley's Comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 12:14   #15
Kingsley
TFH Graduates

So Dobby being important in the final fight because of the end of book 2
So this is connected under the opinion that he hates the Malfoys currently

Ok I am starting to think of Dobby conspiracies myself :evil1:

Trying to be normal these days

Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 16:35   #16
Boing
Pops in randomly

As for what he was thinking at the end - he had finally been freed and now he didn't have to worry about going home with the Malfoys or ever seeing them again - the person who saved him and freed him from his prison was in danger from Lucius, so he lashed out against the man who had beaten him and enslaved him for years as he knew that his powers far outstripped those of Lucius and he had Dumbledore right behind in the office.

I think that he probably does still have some anger inside of him - how could he not? And if he ever ran across Lucius's path, there could be trouble, but I don't think he would go looking for trouble.

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 12:09   #17
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Well once again I point to the little skirmish between the Wizarding world and the Elf's that ended with them being enslaved.
As such we have to assume that they did have some powers and were able to use them against the wizarding world - but something happened and they lost their ability to attack the Wizarding world - who in return suppressed them to stop them taking ago at it again.
My thoughts are that once a house elf is released from this bond that suppresses them - the natural instincts will return - and for all we know those in the elf might be to cause havoc and wreak fear on the wizarding world
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2006, 21:39   #18
Lovegood54
Luna's Biggest Fan!

well, i have always thought of dobby wanting to be harry's house-elf. so, in line with thta thinking: i believe Dobby was thinking about asking Harry if he could be his house-elf. look at what lengths dobby goes to see harry! in the fifth book we learn that dobby is the only house-elf cleaning gryfindor tower, and he does mind becasue it gives him the oppurtunity to see harry!!!!! i think that at the end of CoS, dobby was thinking he would ask harry if he wanted him for a house-elf, but then remembered how harry lived with muggles, and decided that he would go and find temp. work, and now that i think about it, maybe thats why he was unable to find work? i can see it now: "do u have need of a house-elf for the next" --(counts fingers)-- "5 years? well here i--" (door slams in face)

"Mistletoe," said Luna dreamily, pointing at a large clump of white berries placed almost over Harry's head. He jumped out from under it. "Good thinking," said Luna very seriously. "It's often infested with nargles."

If it's wrong to think Tom Riddle is attractive, then i don't want to be right.
Lovegood54 is offline   Reply With Quote