Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Chamber of Secrets

Discussions on Chamber of Secrets "In my fifth year, The Chamber of Secrets was opened ..."

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-07-2005, 13:57   #21
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Re: Why Does Snape Want Harry Expelled?

I think you need to prepare - someone once asked JRK is Snape was redeeming - and she gave a very jaded answer.
Your answer to your question was answered at this point - Snape is redeeming himself for something in the past - you want to know why Snape despises Harry so - because he has to keep him save and look after him to redeem himself - and all he can see is the image of James - prolly the main reasons he became what he did and also did the things he did ...
That is my take
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2005, 11:36   #22
Alz
Head Unspeakable

I thought I would post in this one - because it was relevant in HBP ...
If Snape ever wanted Harry expelled - then there was no better chance to than post sectumsempra attack on Draco Malfoy.
That to me gave the clearest view of Snape's best intention to Harry ...
Think about it - he could have asked for Harry to be expelled - in fact Minerva said he was lucky not to be - but he didnt!
This on top of the 'Unbreakable vow' that would have seen him die if Draco had ...
So - does he want Harry expelled - NO!!

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 07-11-2005, 11:39   #23
Prongs
I'm a N00b

But WHY? For good or for evil?
Old 07-11-2005, 12:05   #24
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Dumbledore was not misunderstood or misinformed when he stated that Snape was trying to redeem himself for starting the chain of events that lead to the Potter's death.
The reason is, in no doubts in my mind, the good of Harry.
He has looked after Harry (and true he wages a war in his head because of James) and has tried to avoid him being hurt or killed.
We do have a few threads on this same subject but I still feel - above all else - Snape is trying to look after Harry ... and the strongest reason for it is a link to Lily (also discussed elsewhere!) ...

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 27-11-2005, 19:13   #25
fawn2388
I'm a N00b

I agree with the fact that he has yet to attempt to forcefully expell Harry because of redemetion. I also agree with the fact that Harry could be the only way Snape lives. But, I do believe that there is moring reasoning to why Snape has such a hateful attitude towards 'Potter' And I hope she well bring that up more in the 7th book.

Also, yes Potter would be safer with the Duresly's but, There is a reason Potter hasn't died yet.

"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to to our friends" - Dumbledore HPaSC US pg 306
fawn2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2005, 03:49   #26
SnarkologyMajor
TFH Graduate

I believe that Snape wanted Harry expelled in order to prevent him from accidently getting into his head, therefore Voldemort getting into his head, therefore blowing Severus's cover and getting him killed. Snape's life was alot more precarious the moment Harry set foot in Hogwarts and I think that is part of the reason for Severus's attitude toward Harry right from the get go. He wanted Harry at arm's length, although I do think he genuinely hates Harry because he is the one who has surpassed Snape's ability to destroy Voldemort. I think Severus really wants that glory himself!
SnarkologyMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2006, 05:45   #27
HarryPotter80000
Lurkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boing
I know I'm behind on my HP reading schedule, but I was reading CoS today and was thinking about the scene when Ron and Harry arrive at school in the flying car. They are met at the door by Snape who was apparently looking for them. He brings them to his office and tells them that they did something terrible, etc. and that he cannot expel them himself as that is up to the Head of House to do. He fetches McGonagall and brings her to his office where Harry and Ron explain what happened at the station.

After the story, Dumbledore knocks on the office door and Snape is described as "looking happier than ever." Harry then explains the whole story again and after Ron says they'll go get their trunks, Dumbledore tells them that they will not be expelled.

At this point, Snape is described looking "as though Christmas had been canceled." He even tries to fight for them to get expelled by appealing to Dumbledore about the Decree for the Restriction of Underage Wizardry, and the damage to the Whomping Willow. Dumbledore brings Snape with him when he leaves the office and Snape glares at Harry and Ron as he is leaving.

So, I know that Snape hates Harry, but this got me thinking - even if he hates Harry, shouldn't he understand that Harry needs to be at Hogwarts in order to learn magic so he can defeat Voldemort? He needs to be strong, learn what he can, etc. If he is expelled, he would never be able to learn what he needs to in order to defeat Voldemort.

Why would Snape want Harry to leave the very place where he is learning what he needs to so that he will prevail in the battle with Voldemort?

Is there something sinister behind his actions?

Does Snape know about the diary that Malfoy was sending to the school and the potential hazard for Harry? Was he trying to save Harry in the same way Dobby was?

Or, was Snape simply blinded by his hatred of Harry for a moment and didn't realize the ramifications of Harry being expelled?

Would love to hear your thoughts!!
Snape wants to expell harry because then harry would not have many defensive spells to use so voldemort would easily defeat harry and if you remember snape is a death eater undercover so he is secretly helping the dark lord. That's my prediction. Anyway i wanna hear people's opinion about this cause it's highly possible and it's interesting because then snape can lie to DD and that is meant to be hard to do as how DD overpowered kreacher into telling him where the order had gone etc etc.