Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Chamber of Secrets

Discussions on Chamber of Secrets "In my fifth year, The Chamber of Secrets was opened ..."

Old 23-02-2005, 06:33   #11
Padma Patil
Dumbledore's Girl

Re: Blue Flames?

You are all making very good points, associating darkcolors with death.

About Hermione, is there more to her than we've seen? Why did JKR stress the fact of her being scared down there? Perhaps it was just forshadowing when Sirius would fall through the veil.

Perhaps there is more that we just don't know yet.

"Look . . . at . . . me. . . ." he whispered.
- Severus Snape
DH pg. 658 Ch. 32 (US edition)
Padma Patil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2006, 11:27   #12
Alz
Head Unspeakable

I dont suppose there was any references to blue flames in HBP?
I know we had white flames when Dumbledore's tomb sealed ...
I think there is something quite eerie about black and blue flames and the references we have had to date - I just wondered if I missed any in HBP?
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2006, 13:17   #13
Alz
Head Unspeakable

I did notice that the 'unspoken' spell that the DE attacked Hermione with was a purple flame ... and the effects seem to nearly kill her and I am sure it was said if the DE could have spoken the words it would have been more serious.
Her treatment from the attack involved drinking lots of different potions daily - what the heck did he hit her with!
I just wonder if AK really is the only killing curse - seems that spell could have had more dangerous ending ...
Sorry if that was a little OT - just interesting based on the description of the spell!

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 25-05-2006, 15:34   #14
SnarkologyMajor
TFH Graduate

Can't recall blue flame in 6 of the top of my head-I will check on that though It seems Hermione was busy doing things w/yellow canaries verses her blue flame in a jar Since you brought the blue flame thread up, I noticed something strange about it in Book 1-remember when Hermione set Snape's robes on fire and he was frantically trying to put them out. Well when Snape wasn't looking she scooped up the blue flame in her hands and put it in her pocket-Why on earth would Snape be frantic to put out a fire that doesn't burn? We know what a genius the man is-it doesn't make any sense that he wouldn't know about the properties of blue flame(even if we don't)-unless blue flame is particularly dangerous to him for some reason...hmm. This sure has me wondering since blue flame seems to have connections to space, time, and death. As for the purple light that hits Hermione-I still haven't figured out what that was exactly...since it caused internal damage and was non-verbal I had thought it might be Sectumsempra, but when I checked I don't think I found any reference to purple light although there did seem to be "a flash of light". I always associate purple with royalty and purple seems to be a color often associated w/Dumbledore-and that probably didn't help much did it
SnarkologyMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2006, 00:50   #15
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Madam Pomfrey said that the purple fire spell caused Hermione 'quite enough damage to be getting along with'.
She was taking 10 different potions daily to cure the damage.
When it hit her it was almost like it killed her - first time reading it did seem like it - but it was also said that the spell wasn't as strong because it was done Non verbal instead of verbally - I know it isn't too relevant but I just wonder if that spell can also be fatal? We know that the same DE was going to use it on Harry later.

Colours of candles and flames have cropped up - same as Dumbledore with fire in book 6 - while that was more traditional fire it was still fire used in a very powerful way.
I still believe the blues flames are important in some way - it just seems really weird when you have something crop up in 2 or 3 different books and not sequentially!

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 03-10-2006, 05:53   #16
SnarkologyMajor
TFH Graduate

Upon reading Book 1 again it finally hit me that the three times Blue Flames are mentioned-Snape is also mentioned. The first is on pg. 181-

..."and she had conjured them up a bright blue fire that could be carried around in a jam jar (or a bell-jar .They were standing with their backs to it, getting warm, when Snape crossed the yard."

This goes on to mention that they were attempting to hide it from Snape. The second mention is when Hermione places the blue flame on Snape at the Quidditch match and as I noted in previous post, his reaction is odd to say the least (The HBP actually fearful of fire-hmmm).

The third time is in Ch. 16-

pg. 278 "Oh, right!" said Hermione, and she whipped out her wand, waved it, muttered something, and sent a jet of the same bluebell flames she had used on Snape at the plant."

It's intriguing that the same blue flames work on both Snape and Devil's Snare no? Devil's Snare likes the dark and the damp and obviously dislikes fire-sounds like the inferi. Book 2 made a direct correlation between the blue flames and death and one could argue the same holds true at the MoM in Book 5. And doesn't this picture look an awful lot like Dumbledore's ring of fire?-

OoTP pg. 772- "She drew her wand in midair and a fiery X appeared on the door. ....and once again the wall began to revolve very fast, but now there was a red-gold blur in amongst the faint blue..."

I could be picking the wrong clues up here-but I think these hint at Snape's use of the DoLD, any thoughts?
Old 09-10-2006, 09:17   #17
Alz
Head Unspeakable

DoLD? Sorry I might be missing something blatently obvious

Interesting once again - I never saw that link before!
If you are right - perhaps Snape wasnt a stranger to the DoM's - and if so, what was he doing when he was sneaking around there?
Notice he didnt go to MoM in OoTP - he claims because it would expose him but maybe there is a clue in all of this?
The blue flames just seemed a little wierd and anything that is a repeating theme would suggest relevance or at list a little more investigation!
Thanks for the theory there SM - you could be right on the money!

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 10-10-2006, 07:58   #18
SnarkologyMajor
TFH Graduate

Sorry Alz I was thinking about the Draught of Living Death-too lazy to write it out I forgot to add something else I came across-Blue Flames are associated with the Will-o-the-Wisp. These are definately linked to the dead, thought to be spirits of the dead that hang around bogs. Sometimes called corpse-candles and funnily enough Wikapedia listed Tolkien as a literary source, but also JKR They're referring to her hinkypunk that Ron couldn't get past in POA
Old 10-10-2006, 08:43   #19
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

How had I missed this one!

I Love this! definately a connection with Snape here I would say. Not so certain that the blue flame doesn't "burn" everyone though, it says that the trio used it to warm up, and even though Hermionie "scooped it up" she could have been using the bell jar . . .(and a flame in a jar would have no oxygen would it?) WOW! so many possibilities . . .

Did Hermionie perhaps have to go to the DoM to get her time turner? perhaps why she may have been so familiar with the candles, time, veil . . .?

My guess with the DoM is that they were studying the "existance"/"life" of ghosts. It seems to go along with "time" and "death", and "prophesy" all are "otherworldly" mysterious concepts.

The connection with Snape does somehow seem relevant, and I would put money that we will see a blue flame being usefull in #7. perhaps . . . the Hogwarts ghosts using the candles to prevent Voldemort from becoming a ghost when he is ultimately killed? Perhaps Hermionie will make that conclusion?

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:56   #20
SnarkologyMajor
TFH Graduate

A pattern seems to be developing to be sure I posted some other links on the Possible Timeline thread, but should make a mention here too since you mention the ghost link SPF. The blue flames at Nick's Deathday party was on Halloween and the blue flames in the GoF were also on Halloween-still working on how these all tie together....