Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Chamber of Secrets

Discussions on Chamber of Secrets "In my fifth year, The Chamber of Secrets was opened ..."

Old 05-03-2005, 11:56   #1
kausarqadir
TFH Graduate

why only Tom Riddle??

i was just thinking...... heir of salazar slytherin.
why only Tom Riddle, Y not somebody else???
there could be thousand of people from slytherin house, volunteering for that post.
kausarqadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 14:35   #2
Hermione
Auror

Re: why only Tom Riddle??

Good question kausarqadir.

But there is a bit of complication here. Is he the heir of slytherin or the desendant of slytherin? Both are simialar and I think I have heard both but it could make a huge differance.

So did Tom Riddle become the hier, meaning he inherited it because of his willingness to, his comtempt for Muggles, his interest in the dark arts, or was he a disendant? Was he born with this use?

Both?

Here are some basic facts about Voldemort.

1. He came from a Muggle background and dispised it.

2. He sought Slytherin and the Chamber of Secrets.

3. He believed in many of the ways of Slytherin.

It could go either way.
Old 05-03-2005, 19:18   #3
Boing
Pops in randomly

I have always interpreted Heir of Slytherin to mean actual heir, as in, flesh and blood, so to speak. That he is descended from Slytherin, and is the last in the line of Slytherins - most likely through his witch mother we would have to assume.

Perhaps his quest for immortality partially stems from his desire not to let the Slytherin blood die out.

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 06:16   #4
Hermione
Auror

Not to let Slytherin blood die out? Then why not breed? Get married, have kids, that's the normal way to have blood not die out.

No, I think there is something more in Voldemort's quest for immortality. I think he wants to live forever, so he may never die. He wants to cheat death.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:53   #5
Boing
Pops in randomly

I agree with you, Meredith, and was just speculating on another reason he might have had in addition. It is quite clear from the books that Voldemort is bent on his own immortality. I think that the "circumstances" surrounding his birth that JKR has mentioned might give us more insight into his quest - it has also been put forth that he had a link with Grindelwald and when he saw that great wizard fall, he became worried for his own life. He knew that he could become a great wizard, but wanted more - he wanted to insure that he would be around forever and not face the same fate as Grindelwald.

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Old 06-03-2005, 13:38   #6
Hermione
Auror

Good point, bringing Grindlewald into this. I am sure that had a lot to do with Voldemort.

Do you think he ever actually knew Grindlewald? Perhaps they were brothers---oooh OH! Then he is the last remaining heir/desendant, because Geindlewald was killed??? I like my theory...
Old 06-03-2005, 14:44   #7
Boing
Pops in randomly

Well, in another thread it was pointed out that Grindelwald was defeated in 1945 - the same year the Chamber of Secrets was last opened . . . it seems like a big coincidence to use the same year.

As for them being brothers, well, that is quite interesting. JKR has said Voldemort has no living relatives, so that could make sense. So perhaps Grindelwald went looking for his brother/nephew/other relative that he had heard was placed in a Muggle orphanage. Found him, then told him of the Chamber of Secrets and told him it might be up to him to open it someday. He could have filled his impressionable mind with all sorts of propaganda at such a young age. Then, Dumbledore kills his mentor, and Voldemort is crushed, shattered, vows to avenge the death of Grindelwald and carry on the teachings of Slytherin.

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Old 07-03-2005, 03:41   #8
Nagini
Time Turners

Quote:
Originally Posted by kausarqadir
i was just thinking...... heir of salazar slytherin.
why only Tom Riddle, Y not somebody else???
there could be thousand of people from slytherin house, volunteering for that post.
Well I don't think its a job you can volunteer for as such, although I am sure a few Slytherins would have liked to have been the heir of Slytherin.

For whatever reason, Voldemort truly believes that he is the last direct descendant of Salazar Slytherin himself. I really like the ideas you have all mentioned about Grindlewald being a possible relative to Voldemort and that could be how he knew. Hermione said that Salazar Slytherin lived a thousand years ago or thousands of years ago and I wonder how difficult it is to trace your descendants in the wizarding world? Do most pure blood families like the Blacks have a family tapestry on their wall?

I also wonder where the line of Slytherin came from, his fathers side or his mothers side. Voldemort killed his father and his grandparents and I wondered if he was so he could be the last descendant?
Old 09-03-2005, 09:02   #9
kausarqadir
TFH Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagini
I also wonder where the line of Slytherin came from, his fathers side or his mothers side. Voldemort killed his father and his grandparents and I wondered if he was so he could be the last descendant?
Gini you are forgetting something.... he has a muggle father.
but yes i like your theory about Grindlewald.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith
So did Tom Riddle become the hier, meaning he inherited it because of his willingness to,
and yes i agree with you Meredith for this one. but dont you think, many of the people from slytherin (or take Draco for example) would love to be one and do anything for that.
kausarqadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 13:23   #10
Alz
Head Unspeakable

I think given all the heavy snake references - his ability to open the chamber created by Salazar and well a few other bits as w have passed through the book - he really is the last decendant of Salazar.
His Mum was a witch - she married a muggle - so it is more that possible that is where the family link is.
I dont think this is a nomination exercise - there is flesh and blood basis to the claim from Tom Riddle he really is the last decendant of Salazar.
This would suggest he has no relatives left - and JKR said he has no family - so yah - that is the ballard of Tom Riddle/Voldemort
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote