Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Chamber of Secrets

Discussions on Chamber of Secrets "In my fifth year, The Chamber of Secrets was opened ..."

Old 14-03-2005, 12:37   #1
Tinkerbell
Graduating

Preview of Legilimency?

Quote:
Originally by JKR - CoS -
“Snape, too, was looking at Harry in an unexpected way: it was a shrewd and calculating look, and Harry didn’t like it.”
During the recent CbyC round, I came across the above quote, and it got me thinking....was this an indication of Snape trying Legilimency on Harry – to see how/why he had spoken to the snake? Also, was Snape at this time acting as spy for Voldemort/Death Eaters, or is this an example of him protecting Harry?

Growing older is mandatory...Growing up is optional... laughing at yourself is therapeutic... laughing with others is fun!!
Tinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2005, 14:17   #2
yarvelling
TFH Graduate

Re: Preview of Legilimency?

Well normaly when Snape looks like that at Harry, it means there's trouble ahead!! In this instance, Harry didn't know that he'd just spoken in Parsel-Tongue as yet, but Snape would have recognised it immediately, and so would naturaly be most curious...thus he gave Harry that look...I doubt he was trying to read his mind, as such, more fathom-out HOW and maybe why, Harry could speak Parsel-Tongue.
He wasn't rying to protect him either, just yet...I think he was momentarily too taken-aback by Hary being able to converse with snakes. Once he'd got over that he then intervened, to stop the situation from getting any worse, and to protect ALL the students from a potentialy dangerous snake!
Old 14-03-2005, 14:18   #3
Padma Patil
Dumbledore's Girl

hmm, this could be a preview to Legilimency, though in OotP, Snape had to say an incantation to work it. Though according to Snape it you are an accomplished legilimence, you must only be near somebody to preform it.

So maybe Snape was only trying to find out if Harry was lying.

"Look . . . at . . . me. . . ." he whispered.
- Severus Snape
DH pg. 658 Ch. 32 (US edition)
Padma Patil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2005, 15:01   #4
Hermione
Auror

I think Snape was just surprised to hear Harry speak Parseltongue and it was a natural, knee jerk reaction. When he couldn't find anything, then he just looked at him curiously. I think we are reading into this too much, and it was just a natural reaction of Snape's to see if Harry was faking, since he thinks he is out for attention.
Old 14-03-2005, 20:41   #5
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

I don't think we are reading too much into it at all! I have just recently started rereading the entire series (available thus far) and It just suddenly clicked with me, how often even a few times in book 1 that Snape appears to have read Harry's mind. I guess I noticed it more now after reading through OOTP 4 times in a row, then restarting from the begining again. I was shocked at how many times (and I'm only about half way though POA right now) Harry "wonders" if Snape knows what he is thinking, it's actualy mentioned quite a few times!!! I never paid any attention to it the first few times we read through the books, but now, I can't not notice. Snape has been at it a long time!

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2005, 06:22   #6
Padma Patil
Dumbledore's Girl

wow, now that you mention it, I seem to remember that too. That Harry keeps wondering if Snape can read is mind. Also, Dumbledore is an accomplished Legilimence too and he is noted as having a piercing gaze as thought trying to see inside or through someone.

Does this mean Snape and Dumbledore have been using legilimency on Harry?

"Look . . . at . . . me. . . ." he whispered.
- Severus Snape
DH pg. 658 Ch. 32 (US edition)
Padma Patil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2005, 07:00   #7
Hermione
Auror

SPF- good point. Now thinking back over the books, Harry has felt as if Snape can read his mind before this. But I think he would then know a lot more about Harry and his true personality. He suspects Harry is out for attention and faking things, but if he is mind reading, he would know Harry isn't.

I like the idea of Dumbeldore reading Harry's mind, I think it is one of the reasons he believes Harry even when evidence is scare or against him. Harry doesn't lie to him, so he believes him. As Fudge says, his stories keep getting taller and taller and Dumbledore keeps swooning to them. But he belives him because he can read his mind and see he is telling the truth.
Old 15-03-2005, 10:51   #8
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith
I like the idea of Dumbeldore reading Harry's mind, I think it is one of the reasons he believes Harry even when evidence is scare or against him. Harry doesn't lie to him, so he believes him. As Fudge says, his stories keep getting taller and taller and Dumbledore keeps swooning to them. But he belives him because he can read his mind and see he is telling the truth.
I think especially with DD that is exactly what is going on. With Snape I think perhaps although he may be very skilled with occlumency, (which kind of scares me sometimes, who is he hiding his true thoughts from... DD or V?) but he may not quite be the Legilimens that DD or V are, and may not see deeply enough into Harry to see his true nature. Perhaps, he only "knew" Harry was lying about using the potion ingredients stolen from his officein CoS. He may only be able to get enough to see truth or lies, unless like in the lessons when he has his wand in use, and not just reaching with his mind only. But even then...Harry had begun to fight him off, and even reached into Snapes mind. something further to consider

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Old 15-03-2005, 22:33   #9
Weasleyfanforever
TFH Graduate

I was of the mind that Snape was on par with Dumbledore as a Leglimens/Occlumens, or else I don't think that Dumbledore would have allowed him to teach Harry. Also, I think looking back, that yes, Snape, and possibly Dumbledore have used Leglimency on Harry. The question I have is, why didn't either of them say anything about what they saw? If I remember correctly, in CoS when Dumbledore asks Harry if there is anything he needs to tell him, he feels as if Dumbledore is looking through him. Shouldn't Dumbledore have been able to see that Harry was hiding things from him? At this point in the spetology, Harry didn't know how to protect his mind from Leglimency, so he wouldn't have even known that it was being performed on him....
Old 16-03-2005, 07:18   #10
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

I think DD wanted to keep close tabs on Harry, and seeing into his mind is a great way to go about that. One thing Dd wouldn't have wanted is for Harry to know of this "prying" I think if Harry found out he would be...very upset to say the least, even if it were DD, unless, it happened to come out when it was beneficial to both. I also Think DD wants to let Harry go about his growing up on his own terms as much as possible. So even though DD may have a good idea of what is going on in Harry's mind from time to time, he merely makes note of it, and possibly redirects Harry subtely (sp?) As for Snape... He is either under orders from DD or V (I am not yet convinced that DD's trust in him is warented, but holding my decision) in either case, again neither wants Harry to "know" they are peeking in on him, so they cannot let Harry know that they know.

_Willy Wonka