Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Chamber of Secrets

Discussions on Chamber of Secrets "In my fifth year, The Chamber of Secrets was opened ..."

Old 14-03-2005, 12:39   #1
Tinkerbell
Graduating

Is it all relative??

In Chamber of Secrets, when Ron says:
Quote:
“And now the whole school’s going to think you’re his great-great-great-great-grandson or something…”
I couldn't help thinking that this was our dear Seer Weasley with another of his gems - we now know that Harry is not related to Slytherin… but is he perhaps related to Godric Gryffindor in this way? What do others think?

Growing older is mandatory...Growing up is optional... laughing at yourself is therapeutic... laughing with others is fun!!
Tinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2005, 13:49   #2
Boing
Pops in randomly

Re: Is it all relative??

I don't think it's necessarily too far-fetched. We've got some evidence that links the two together:

Harry is in Gryffindor (not that that's an automatic match, but it's something)

Harry pulled Godric's sword from the Sorting Hat when in the Chamber

Harry's parents were at the very least hiding, if not permanently living in, Godric's Hollow, which bears the name of Godric Gryffindor.

Also, this got me thinking - the Gryffindor connection would likely be on James's side (though wouldn't that be interesting if it were on the Dursley side . . . ). So, perhaps this is where all that money comes from? From an inheritance passed down through the ages originating with Godric Gryffindor . . .just another thought!

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2005, 14:14   #3
Padma Patil
Dumbledore's Girl

This is all interesting, but you forgot about how whenever Harry gets mad, red and gold sparks shoot out of his wand. Red and gold sparks shot out of his wand when he first got it too, that how they knew it was his.

Notice, red and gold equals Gryffindor.

"Look . . . at . . . me. . . ." he whispered.
- Severus Snape
DH pg. 658 Ch. 32 (US edition)
Padma Patil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2005, 15:11   #4
Hermione
Auror

Excellent point Padma!

I do think we have seen these and many other examples throughout the books that say Harry belongs in Gryffindor. Think back to the third book with the Maurders. That was a solely Gryffindor affair, no one from Slytherin or Hufflepuff would have been involved.

I don't think Ron meant his comment as a prediction. I think he merely was commenting the school's rumor mill would be hard at work, and gossip about Harry would be rampant.
Old 14-03-2005, 15:30   #5
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

I have a somewhat lengthy discourse on that, that I have put on another board. It is all highly speculative, but I believe that Harry may be the heir of Gryfindor. Alot of my speculation rests on the things already mentioned below, but not only those, it was Fawkes that brought Harry the sorting hat (hmmmm also formerly belonging to GG) with the sword in it, and DD stated later in the book "not just anyone could have pulled that from that hat" And on fawkes...also red and gold, Phoenixes are imortal... He may quite well have belonged to GG... or even better, is this possibly GG in his animagus form? I have seen somewhere on one board or another, that Harry will meet GG, and they are wondering if he will use a time turner, ...he wouldn't need a time turner if GG is just right there in DD's office

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2005, 06:05   #6
Padma Patil
Dumbledore's Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius Potter Fan
"not just anyone could have pulled that from that hat"
Just before that he says, "You want more proof that you belong in Gryffindor?".
(I don't know if that is the exact quote.)
What if he meant more than just the house Gryffindor, what if he meant the family of Gryffindor?

It would make sence to have the last remaining hier of Slytherin aka Voldemort and the last remaining hier of Gryffindor aka Harry, fight out the two's final battle.

"Look . . . at . . . me. . . ." he whispered.
- Severus Snape
DH pg. 658 Ch. 32 (US edition)
Padma Patil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2005, 07:17   #7
Hermione
Auror

Excellent ideas Padma and Sirus Potter Fan! You guys really took this to a whole new level. I am liking this thread.

I like the idea of the last remaining heirs going head to head. But what about the heirs of Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff? Maybe it will be a great 3-1 battle. Or even more interesting, a 2-2. Who would come to Slytherin's aid?

I like the speculation that Fawkes is just an animagus, but there are some holes in that theory. How would Godric Gryffindor still be alive? Yes, the pheniox is immortal, but is Fawkes is the animal form of Godric Gryffindor, he is not a pheniox, he is a human disguised as a pheniox. Therefore woulld he still be able to live forever? How would he be alive now?

I don't know if Harry will actually get to meet Godric Gryffindor. The closest I would think he could come would be through a pensive, but wouldn't Godric have died long before anyone here now was alive? Perhaps an antique pensive, another wizard's thoughts from when he was alive? This could be a valueable resource for the Order and for Harry.

Is there such a thing as a Hogwarts historian? Besides Hermione, who has memorized Hogwarts, A History is there anyone around who could tell the historyof Hogwarts? What about Professor Binns? They seem to largly ignore him, because he is a drearly, mundane ghost, but what if he had valueable information about Godric Gryffindor?

Is there a picture or painting og Godric Gryffindor? Would Harry look like him? That could be interesting.
Old 15-03-2005, 13:13   #8
Tinkerbell
Graduating

Wow, some great ideas here guys!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Padma Patil: What if he meant more than just the house Gryffindor, what if he meant the family of Gryffindor?
That is just what I was thinking about Padma!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Meredith: I don't think Ron meant his comment as a prediction.
No, I don't think Ron actually knows when he is making predictions, its just that quite often what he says has a real pertinency in it!

Growing older is mandatory...Growing up is optional... laughing at yourself is therapeutic... laughing with others is fun!!
Tinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2005, 14:14   #9
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

I Believe DD really did mean the family of Gryffindor. After all, I'm shure DD would also know Harry's ancestry, as I believe that DD himself is a descendant of GG.

on the point about the heirs battling at the end. I believe that it will just be Griffindor and Slytherin's heirs. The big disention was mainly between them in the first place. if you push it , it really seems that it was SS insisting on only purebloods, and all three of the others wanting to accept anyone magical. So although the other two founders may have their heirs as well, I don't see them in the thick of the battle. There is very little mention of the other two houses for the most part, so I don't think they will play a large role further on.

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2005, 22:54   #10
Weasleyfanforever
TFH Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius Potter Fan
I Believe DD really did mean the family of Gryffindor. After all, I'm shure DD would also know Harry's ancestry, as I believe that DD himself is a descendant of GG.
I'd have to agree with Tink on her point about Ron, I don't think that he knows, or intends to make any predictions, as such s shown by his distaste for Divination, I think it just happens.

And, if both DUmbledore and Harry were relatives of Godric Gryffindor, wouldn't that make them relatives? Because I know JKR has explicitly stated on her website that Harry has no living relatives, other than the Dursleys, and more so, she has specifically stated Dumbledore is not related to Harry.