Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > The Final Horcrux Reviews and Articles > The Final Horcrux Articles

The Final Horcrux Articles A selection of Articles from the members of TFH and also Chapter by Chapter submissions

Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Harry Potter, good or evil?
Published by Sirius Potter Fan
01-05-2007

First, ANYONE who says that Harry Potter is satanic hasn't even read the first book. I was raised in a church, and have continued with my faith into adulthood. I will be the first to admit that when I first heard of the books and movies, that I was against it. I wouldn't allow my children to read the books or watch the movies. Then, one Christmas 4 years ago a friend gave my oldest son (who had been having trouble getting motivated to read) one of the Harry Potter books. At first I told him he couldn’t read it, but then I decided to look into it for myself . . . Imagine my surprise to find out that Harry is the good guy fighting against an evil wizard! An evil wizard that will be defeated how? By LOVE! Hmmmmm . . . isn't that just what Jesus teaches us?

Not only do I now encourage my children to read the books as well as watching the movies, but it has become something that all in my family participate in. (All 7 of us!) We discuss things in Harry's world, play games based on the series and even role play. The best part? Seeing my 3rd grader pick up a heavy 652 page book and read it because she wants to!

There is nothing wrong with religions. But people in any faith need to remember to use their own heads to look into what they are being taught, as it is easy to be led astray by those who would preach their own personal opinions as God's word. The Bible itself tells us "Study to show yourself approved to God, a workman who does not need to be ashamed, who correctly handles the word of truth" - 2 Timothy 2:15 Those who claim the Potter series as satanic based on what they are told by others, or on the simple words "witch" or "Wizard" have not in fact done their duty to decide for themselves what they should believe.

I read (quite some time ago) that early on Rowling had explained to those higher up in the Catholic church what the final outcome of the book would be and how it would come about, and that the former Pope himself approved of the books.

I think that as a Christian parent, we cannot "shield" our children from the ways of the secular world, and to do so would only make them more vulnerable to the temptations they will face later on. We should point out that the things in Harry Potter are FICTIONAL, and for entertainment, and fun. But, when the blind lead the blind . . . someone ends up being hurt.
Article Tools

Sir Cadogan on 01-05-2007, 15:08
Re: Harry Potter, good or evil?

@SPF: Amen to that.
Comment