Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Half-Blood Prince > HBP Analysis

HBP Analysis A deeper and meaningful look at the details of HBP

Old 25-06-2007, 12:45   #11
Sir Cadogan
Noble Heart, Steely Sinew

Re: The Cave

I like it, too - with one exception: Somehow Kreacher appears to be way too stupid, obnoxious and false to be trusted on such a mission. I know a couple of years have passed since then, but ...
Old 25-06-2007, 14:21   #12
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Cagogan
I like it, too - with one exception: Somehow Kreacher appears to be way too stupid, obnoxious and false to be trusted on such a mission. I know a couple of years have passed since then, but ...
agreed. I think Kreacher woud not be the most trustworthy to use on such a mission. House Elves can disclose information if they want . . . they just have to punish themselves afterward. Can't help but wonder if maybe Snape went along, he definately knows his potions!

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 22:21   #13
horcruxfinder
TFH Graduate

Yes, but Snape would be too big - magically - to fit into the boat with RAB. We need someone magically small - like Harry as an underage wizard. Who else is possible? Any theories?
Old 26-06-2007, 06:53   #14
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

First . . . if RAB is indeed the Regulus Black that is Sirius' brother, then, Snape may well have still been underage at the time, so a possibility still. As far as others . . . well, since we have been told that we have at least been introduced to all characters that will appear in the last book, it won't be someone new to the scene. What we know . . . Regulus was Sirius' younger brother but not how much younger, and died young, so that, along with the hint in RAB's note that he knew of the prophecy "meet your match" places things around the time of or just before Harry's birth. Although that might preclude Snape from being underage, it may not rule out RAB himself as being underage. If it was RAB that was underage, then there are numerous possibilities to choose from. I think we can assume that RAB's assistant died in the cave or shortly afterward, had they lived I think they would have come to DD with the information when Voldemort came back to power.

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 11:52   #15
Dr Winterbourne
Time Turners

I don't have HBP with me at present, but does anyone remember if any of the Inferi are descibed individually? That could possibly be RAB or their alleged accomplise.

If RAB were underage, and Snape was there, then an interesting line of speculation arises.

If Snape went, then it was to destroy a horcrux, which presumably means he is good.

But if he is good, why would he send Dumbledore on a fools errand?

That means, if Snape was there, he is evil, (or doesn't trust Dumbledore. Let's ignore this possibility - it messes up my logic).

Okay, so if Snape destroyed a horcrux, and isn't good, then it could be because he has designs on the being a Dark Lord himself. I think he believes the prophecy, actually does think that Harry could kill Lord Voldemort, which is why Harry's ill-discipline frustrates him so much.

After Harry has disposed of the Usurper, Snape is in a position to rise to the throne himself. He knows he can beat Harry. He once labled himself 'Prince' - they even named a book after that nickname. Could this be a clue to his plans?

Last edited by Dr Winterbourne; 26-06-2007 at 18:01..
Dr Winterbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 12:47   #16
Sir Cadogan
Noble Heart, Steely Sinew

None of the inferi are described individually. All we hear about are "a white hand", "a face beneath the surface", while DD and Harry are crossing the lake. And when they attack the two, the inferi are only referred to as grabbing, staggering, stepping over the body in front of them etc.

On your idea (RAB & Snape destroyed the horcrux in the cave): Well - what if Snape never mentioned the horcrux in the cave but told DD about a different one? Maybe DD himself discovered the cave and thought it safer to try this hiding-place than the one Snape had told him about.

On second thoughts: I don't think RAB took Snape with him. Aren't we told that in the beginning, Snape really was a Death Eater because he liked it? This would exclude him from such excursions, I'm sure.

However, I agree with what you say about Snape's ambitions. I also think that he would be one to enjoy being powerful and dreaded. ;-)
Old 03-07-2007, 16:59   #17
Susan Sloan
I'm a N00b

The clues to the Cave are prior to the visit of Dumbledore and Harry. Read back to where Hagrid is telling Harry et al about overhearing Dumbledore speaking to Snape in the Forest, after Ron drank the tainted drink Slughorn gave him -- the bottle was intended for Dumbledore.
I think Dumbledore KNEW all along Snape was going to 'kill' him. I do not think Dumbledore will return, but Snape will be vindicated. I really hate to say this, but I am beginning to think Dumbledore beliving in Snape might be a real bit all along. We all hate Snape; but I am beginning to think he might -- just MIGHT -- be 'good.' The Unbreakable Vow is OK too, since Snape knew all along he would do the deed.

Sue
Susan Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote