Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Half-Blood Prince > HBP Analysis

HBP Analysis A deeper and meaningful look at the details of HBP

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 14-03-2007, 23:41   #1
happy_hannah
TFH Graduate

did R.A.B know about the prophecy?

I just had a look-see over the note left by R.A.B in the locket and i noticed it contained the line 'when you meet your match you will be mortal once more'
so i was wondering is R.A.B referring to harry?
I dont have the fifth book with me but when sirius is talking about regulus, how long ago did he say he had been killed by voldemort? is it probable that regulus had found out about the prophecy? then again it may not be regulus, but still just a thought
Old 03-07-2007, 06:04   #2
George
Tom Marvolo Riddle

Re: did R.A.B know about the prophecy?

Nicely observed. Still, that's highly unlikely.
I think that RAB found out about the Horcruxes and Voldemort didn't know about it. So, he said he would be pulling out of the ranks of the Death Eaters, but went looking for the locket instead. Voldemort ordered his death. RAB knew it was coming, and fast. He managed to either destroy or steal one of the Horcruxes (maybe the locket hidden in Grimmauld Place) and then left a note saying that he does this "in the hope" that Voldemort will some day meet his match, who, we suppose means, will go out, hunt down the remaining bits of his soul, and then kill off the man himself. I doubt this referred to Harry to any other prophecy, but simply to the blind hope that someday, someone will come along with the power to destroy the Dark Lord.

"There is no good and evil. There is only power, and those too weak to seek it."

"I was ripped from my body, I was less than spirit, less than the meanest ghost- but still, I was alive."

"I, who have gone further than anybody along the path that leads to immortality. You know my goal- to conquer death."
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:50   #3
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

I don't know George . . . I have always had the impression or gut feeling that the writer of the note was aware of the Prophecy. I think anyone close enough to Voldemort to know of a Horcrux would also be aware of the prophecy. Of course . . . we won't know untill . . .

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:39   #4
George
Tom Marvolo Riddle

SPF,

I was under the impression that no DE knew about the Horcruxes. Dumbledore himself says that Voldemort's followers did not know what was meant when their master told them that he had gone farther than anyone to conquer death. So, unless Dumbledore is wrong on major counts, it is VERY unlikely that anyone at all knew about the Horcruxes.
To counter my own point, the Lestranges must have known, because they said Voldemort would rise again just before being locked up in Azkaban. We see this in GoF.
However, Regulus was not a Death Eater for long enough to simply have been told of Voldemort's deepest and darkest secrets. So, unless RAB refers to anyone BUT Regulus Black, I doubt he would have been aware of the prophecy.
However. I digress. We know that RAB was not told of the Horcruxes by Voldemort; in the note he left, RAB states that: "It was I who discovered your secret". This would be a bit pointless if the aforementioned "secret" would have been discussed over tea by Voldemort and RAB just the night before.
Had RAB known about the Prophecy, he would have specifically mentioned either a) Harry, or b) some fulfillment of said prophecy. However, he merely mentions a distant "match" for Voldemort, which could refer to Dumbledore, or McGonagall or anybody else for that matter. I just find it unlikely that he would have meant that the "match" would be a boy, whose magical powers had not yet been seen by the world.
Lastly, there is the discussion of time. RAB stole the Horcrux while Voldemort was still alive. Else, there would have been no need for the note and all. However, Voldemort's downfall came less than two years after the prophecy was made ...
so, one must think RAB stole the Horcrux AFTER the prophecy, but before Voldemort's downfall.
Now, according to the Lexicon, Harry was born on July 31st 1980 - the same year Regulus died. THEREFORE, Regulus was dead before Voldemort's downfall, for sure. He was also probably dead before Voldemort decided that Harry was the greatest risk to the Dark Lord. Hence, to HH's first question - Regulus had no way of knowing the prophecy referred to Harry, as Voldemort himself had not yet decided to whom it referred until AFTER Regulus was dead.
SPF, you are right. There is definitely a good chance that RAB was aware of some sort of connection between Voldemort and some kid that would have a chance of destroying him. But I wonder: would RAB have sacrificed himself in the hope that a baby would one day grow up and kill Voldemort? Would it not be more likely that he was, in fact, placing his hopes in someone like Dumbledore.
And my final argument:
We know Snape found out about the prophecy and that he told Voldemort. In order for RAB to have known, he would have had to either a) get the info from Snape himself (and this is unlikely, due to the hatred Snape had for Sirius, and the suspicion he would have held for any sibling of the Gryffindor Black) or b) have gotten the info from Voldemort himself. If what Sirius et comp said is true, Regulus was not close enough to Voldemort to have known. So I figure the answer to our question lies in whether or not Voldemort told his Death Eaters of the prophecy BEFORE the date on which RAB died. Comments?

"There is no good and evil. There is only power, and those too weak to seek it."

"I was ripped from my body, I was less than spirit, less than the meanest ghost- but still, I was alive."

"I, who have gone further than anybody along the path that leads to immortality. You know my goal- to conquer death."
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:10   #5
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

I think some of this is a problem with continuity . . . it has only happened a few times throughout the books where things contradicted themselves. DD has said that none of the DE's knew of Voldemort's Horcruxes, Voldemort said they knew of his plans, and Belatrix & co. believed he would be alive somewhere. Now this may not be contradicting if we take statements exactly. It is possible that DE's did not know of "Horcruxes" specificaly, but had been told by Voldemort nonspecificaly that he had taken steps to ensure imortality, and most likely they just took him at his word. In which case, perhaps RAB guessed that it was a Horcrux and did his own research . . . but no . . . he just wouldn't have had the time or resourses really . . . The prophecy was made before Harry's birth, and Voldemort didn't go after Harry untill after Harry was a year old . . . so we are talking well over a year for the word to leak around. I am not saying that RAB knew that Harry was the one, but that he had heard that someone was coming. Just too bad . . . that he didn't know there were 6 horcruxes!

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Old 15-07-2007, 19:24   #6
Alz
Head Unspeakable

In my mind - only Snape has demonstrated that he can cloak his mind from Voldemort - given this, it is possible he could have gone the next step and went into his mind.
I think there is a certain amount of implication from the fact Snape can continue to live a lie with Voldemort - maybe in the top three for mind probing along with Dumbledore and Snape ... thus if I was to take a bet on anyone having got this from Voldemort, it would be Snape.
Could Snape be linked to RAB - who knows but would also be a good guess!
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 19:39   #7
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Well, Snape's mother was a pureblood . . . Hagrid said that most all the "purebloods" were related, and we saw that on the Black family tree as well, so they could have grown up together, Regulus was only a few years behind Snape, wouldn't be surprised if they were tied in together.

_Willy Wonka

Old 16-07-2007, 21:08   #8
Piper
TFH Graduate

Reglus and Snape were also in the same house.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote