Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Half-Blood Prince > HBP Analysis

HBP Analysis A deeper and meaningful look at the details of HBP

Old 14-06-2007, 07:06   #11
Seeker615
Ghosthunter

Re: re-reading HBP

I would think that the order knows that Voldemort was Tom Riddle. not sure about rest of the public. We know Slughorn knows because he felt terrible about giving him info on horcruxes.
Old 14-06-2007, 08:45   #12
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

I thought I had listed Hagrid as being there . . . but there was one more that would have been there that I can remember now . . . we figured it out by birthdates that were listed on her site. hmmmm

As far as to who knows Voldemort's true identity . . . It was said that he already had his own gang of folowers in school, the first deatheaters . . . so, at least some of them know his "secret" I don't know whether DD would have told the Order members or not, I'm just not sure how much help it is to most to know of his background. Helpful to Dumbledore and Harry to know about the horcruxes, but I'm still not certain as to what was proven to Harry showing him Merope, and riddle in the orphanage . . . perhaps to give him some level of sympathy for Riddle?

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2007, 14:39   #13
Sir Cadogan
Noble Heart, Steely Sinew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius Potter Fan View Post
...but I'm still not certain as to what was proven to Harry showing him Merope, and riddle in the orphanage . . . perhaps to give him some level of sympathy for Riddle?
I'm sure you're perfectly right with this guess, SPF. I happened to come across the relevant passage when listening to the CDs lately, and I'll quote some lines from that chapter - it's just before Harry and Dumbledore dive into DD's memory of his visit to the orphanage:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKRowling in HP6
[Dumbledore:] "... In any case, as you are about to see, Merope refused to raise her wand even to save her own life."

"She wouldn't even stay alive for her son?"

Dumbledore raised his eyebrows. "Could you possibly be feeling sorry for Lord Voldemort?"

"No," said Harry quickly, "but she had a choice, didn't she, not like my mother —"

"Your mother had a choice too," said Dumbledore gently. "Yes, Merope Riddle chose death in spite of a son who needed her, but do not judge her too harshly, Harry. She was greatly weakened by long suffering and she never had your mother's courage ..."
Although Harry quickly denies "feeling sorry" for LV, I'm sure he does pity the orphan boy, as Dumbledore suggests. And I'm also sure that this will be important in the final showdown.
Old 15-06-2007, 08:16   #14
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Cadogan
Although Harry quickly denies "feeling sorry" for LV, I'm sure he does pity the orphan boy, as Dumbledore suggests. And I'm also sure that this will be important in the final showdown.
Could this be where the "love" issue truly comes into play? Harry's ability to understand, and not just sympathise, but empathise with the young Tom? I don't know though . . . it sounds just a little too mushy for HP. But it must have some purpose!

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote