Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussion on Deathly Hallows > Deathly Hallows - Analysis

Deathly Hallows - Analysis A look deeper into the mysteries and clues resolved in the book.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 27-07-2007, 13:13   #1
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

What Protected Harry?

I have been mulling this thought over in my mind for a few days and thought I would throw it out there and see what everone else thinks.

We were lead to believe that the reason Harry was protected from Voldemort while at Privet Drive was due to Lily's sacrifice the night she was killed. In DH we saw through Harry that Lily did indeed sacrifice herself in an attempt to save Harry. She faced Voldemort without a wand and did not try to fight him but only stood in front of Harry. But, James did the same thing! Voldemort's thoughts were of how stupid the two of them were for not having their wands on them. Neither Lily or James made a move to get a wand and we did not know if they had their wands on them or not. I would assume they both did since all the witches and wizards we have ever seen always carry their wands, regardless.

So then we have Harry walking into the woods to face Voldemort and lay down his life in order to save others. He too did not pull his wand to defend himself, but took Voldemort's wraith to save others. Harry survived again, but why? Was it his sacrifice that saved him? All Voldemort did was kill of the part of his soul that Harry had carried around with him for sixteen years.

So, what actually saved Harry, at Privet Drive?
Was it Lily's sacrfice only or did James's willingness to face death unarmed have something to do with Harry's protection at the Dursley's?

So, what saved Harry from AK again? Was it only the bit of Voldemort's soul inside him, was it his willingness to give his life to protect others, or was it something else?

Thoughts?

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 13:53   #2
Piper
TFH Graduate

Re: What Protected Harry?

I think she definately meant that Lily and James were both without their wands at that moment. They trusted Peter as their secret-keeper enough to go about without being on guard all of the time, even though he was known to be a bit of a coward, and there existed the possibility that he could be tortured into telling if nothing else, (there seems to be some speculation in their occupations, I always though auror, but I think we can rule out Brain Surgeon and Rocket Scientist right here), James didn't willingly die without pulling out the wand to defend himself, he simply was caught off guard. He didn't have a wand handy, so no choice. Lily having a choice and dying is what protected Harry at Privet Drive, I take it in the scene before Kings Cross she was saying that Harry lived because the Elder Wand would not work in killing him, since he was the rightful owner.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 16:37   #3
Horntail88
TFH Graduate

Lily/James' sacrifice is definitely what has protected him all these years, but I myself am not to sure about how he escape the forest unharmed...possibly, Piper is right about the Elder Wand not working against its master, but it did it's job, didn't it? It shot the Killing Curse at Harry, it can't possibly control the effects OF the curse...meaning something else saved Harry that night.

We can rule out his sacrifice to save everyone else because Lily sacrificed herself for Harry, but she died in the end...

I think the Killing Curse only affected the part of Harry's soul that was tainted with Lord Voldemort, so while the Voldemort inside Harry died, the Harry inside Harry lived. Weird, I know, but that's the best I can think of...
Horntail88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 16:39   #4
Weasleyfanforever
TFH Graduate

I think this should answer the question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP and the DH, Pg. 708, US Version
"But if Voldemort used the Killing Curse," Harry started again, "and nobody died for me this time how can I be alive?"
"I think you know," said Dumbledore. "Think back. Remember what he did, in his ignorance, in his greed and his cruelty."
Harry thought. He let his gaze drift down over his surroundings. If it was indeed a palace in which they sat, it was an odd one, with chairs set in little rows and bits of railing here and there, and still, he and Dumbledore and the stunted creature under the chair were the only beings there. Then the answer rose to his lips easily, without effort.
"He took my blood," said Harry.
"Precisely!" said Dumbledore. "He took your blood and rebuilt his living body withit! Your blood in his veins, Harry, Lily's protection inside both of you! He tethered you to life while he lives!"
And a little bit later on (I didn't want to type the whole page and a half ) :

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP and the DH, Pg. 709, US Version
"He took your blood believing it would strengthen him. He took into his body a tiny part of the enchantment your mother laid upon you when she died for you. His body keeps her sacrifice alive, and while the enchantment survives, so do you and so does Voldemort's one last hope for himself."

Last edited by Weasleyfanforever; 27-07-2007 at 16:41..
Weasleyfanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 16:44   #5
Horntail88
TFH Graduate

But see, then how could Harry kill Voldemort if the same enchantment is in BOTH of them??? It leaves a very big opening for contradiction...
Horntail88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 16:52   #6
Weasleyfanforever
TFH Graduate

The way that I take it is that since the enchantment was only meant for Harry, it only works on him. Being in Voldemort kept the enchantment alive, but it didn't protect Voldemort. And again, the reason that Harry survived was because the protection was still intact, it killed the portion of Voldemort's soul that was inside him, but it didn't effect his whole and intact soul.
Old 27-07-2007, 18:08   #7
Piper
TFH Graduate

Yes I read those passages, but the enchantment/bond of blood, whatever, wore off when Harry turned 17 according to the storyline.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 21:20   #8
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

So if we disregard Harry's blood protection, which it seems makes sense as Piper said. Harry was no longer protected after his birthday, thus the Order's urgency to get him away from the Dursley's. That makes sense to me as it was a huge part of story from the beginning. If as Dumbledore said, the reason Harry survived the second AK was because he and Voldemort carried the same blood, I can buy the fact that Voldemort made the mistake of using Harry's blood, which he thought was to his advantage, but if Harry lost his protection at 17, wouldn't Voldemort then lose any benefit of having Harry's blood.

I can buy the fact that Voldemort guaranteed Harry's survival by using his blood, but only to a degree. I think there is still a gaping hole in that part of it.

I also agree that if the AK was shot from the Elder Wand at anyone, it would kill them regardless of who owned it. AK is AK and magic is magic so I find it hard to believe that that was what saved Harry.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 23:30   #9
cj633
TFH Graduate

Location: St. Louis, Missouri, USA but I love to travel by knight bus

Regarding the final battle in the hall
HP and the DH pages 743-744 US version " Harry saw Voldemort's green jet meet his own spell , saw the Elder Wand fly high, dark against the sunrise, spinning across the enchanted ceiling like the head of Nagini, spinning through the air toward the master it would not kill, who had come to take full possession of it at last."

...the master it would not kill, and Harry survives his 3rd Avada Kedavra curse. I liked that Voldemort was killed by ..." his own rebounding curse..." leaving Harry not a murderer and his soul whole.
Old 28-07-2007, 01:07   #10
Weasleyfanforever
TFH Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortescue View Post
So if we disregard Harry's blood protection, which it seems makes sense as Piper said. Harry was no longer protected after his birthday, thus the Order's urgency to get him away from the Dursley's. That makes sense to me as it was a huge part of story from the beginning. If as Dumbledore said, the reason Harry survived the second AK was because he and Voldemort carried the same blood, I can buy the fact that Voldemort made the mistake of using Harry's blood, which he thought was to his advantage, but if Harry lost his protection at 17, wouldn't Voldemort then lose any benefit of having Harry's blood.

I can buy the fact that Voldemort guaranteed Harry's survival by using his blood, but only to a degree. I think there is still a gaping hole in that part of it.

I also agree that if the AK was shot from the Elder Wand at anyone, it would kill them regardless of who owned it. AK is AK and magic is magic so I find it hard to believe that that was what saved Harry.
I think we have to think of the gleam of triumph in Dumbleodre's eye in GoF. He knew that Harry wouldn't lose that protection at age 17, even though he had to keep that pretense.

Everyone thought, before the Elder Wand, that if AK was shot from Voldemort's wand that it would kill them, regardless of who they were, and we all know the exception to the fact, and I think we all know the exception to the fact again, and I think the facts from book 7 prove why!

As I said, I think the protection may have lived in Voldemort's blood, but it didn't benefit him. Harry was the one the enchantment was meant for, and he was the one that prospered from it, because it was meant for him, and while it could be held by someone else, it couldn't be spread to them...

Last edited by Weasleyfanforever; 28-07-2007 at 01:15..