Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussion on Deathly Hallows > Deathly Hallows - Analysis

Deathly Hallows - Analysis A look deeper into the mysteries and clues resolved in the book.

Old 31-07-2007, 22:05   #1
Piper
TFH Graduate

Perhaps we sort too soon........

I hope I will be able to reply to this one, twice I have started threads and not been able to reply except in edit.

Anyway I totally did not get the exchange when Dumbledore told Snape, "Perhaps we sort too soon". What did that mean? Did it mean that Snape maybe should have been in Griffindor because he was so brave? Because that was what they were discussing.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:51   #2
Dr Winterbourne
Time Turners

Re: Perhaps we sort too soon........

That was the way I interpreted it.

Possibly, a sub-theme could be that Snape's infatuation with the Dark Arts may have passed if he had not been in the environment that was so Death-Eater friendly.
Dr Winterbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:23   #3
Seeker615
Ghosthunter

I found that line really intriguing.

Maybe Dumbledore thought that it would be wise to give the kids a year or two to see what qualities they possess that have not shown up yet.

Too me it seems Snape wasn't a very nice kid but he had seemed to have possesed loyalty, courage and smarts. He could have easily fit into one of the other houses and maybe things would have been different if those abilities were focused on more. It was too easy for him to fall in with the "bad" Slytherins since he was already not a very nice kid and was abused at home and by kids at Hogwarts.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:32   #4
Vold. E. Mort
Crucio!

Well, I think we can safely say that the sorting hat was wrong, 3 times.. 1st time it was wrong was putting Snape into Slytherin. Clearly, he should have been in Griffindor because of his bravery. Sure, he was a dark and loved the wrong things, but he was also brave and a mud-blood.. Slytherin wouldn't have wanted him in his house. 2nd time, was Voldemort. Again, a mud-blood. Shouldn't have been in Slytherin at all, regardless of who's blood he had. 3rd time was when the hat told Harry that it'd never been wrong before.
Vold. E. Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:41   #5
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

I agree, I think that being in with stuents other than just Slytherins, Snape may have had more chances to show his good side. I have seen kids in school, that desperate to "fit in" with someone setle for the "bad" kids because they are always willing to use them for their own desires, when had that child been with other peers, things would have been very different. Perhaps Slytherin house should be done away with at Hogwarts just as that founder chose to leave the school. group the students that would otherwise have been in Slytherin into which ever other house they would best fit, and allow the positive forces to influence them . . .

I still really wonder why Wormtail made it into Gryffindor . . . I don't think he knew the other marauders previously to have asked the hat to put him in Gryffindor with them. He shows neither Courage or Loyalty.

Clearly the hat has it's flaws! . . . unless . . . Did Snape ask to be in Slytherin?

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"

Last edited by Sirius Potter Fan; 01-08-2007 at 06:45..
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:20   #6
Vold. E. Mort
Crucio!

On wormtail, I don't know.. Did he pull the silver hand back out of loyalty to the life debt? Or just because he's a coward? Either way, I think the hat did indeed miss that one too.. So make it 4 wrongs.. At least Percy managed to not make it 5.. I was worried about that one.
Vold. E. Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:53   #7
keeron_man_boy
Accio Deathly Hallows!!

well we know that snape wanted lily to be in slytherin.. perhaps his family's line is slytherins..

and we know harry chose to be in griffindor.. he also made quite clearly that you can sometimes choose the house u want to be in...

it could be as simple that snape chose to be in slytherin
Old 01-08-2007, 10:24   #8
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vold. E. Mort View Post
Well, I think we can safely say that the sorting hat was wrong, 3 times.. 1st time it was wrong was putting Snape into Slytherin. Clearly, he should have been in Griffindor because of his bravery. Sure, he was a dark and loved the wrong things, but he was also brave and a mud-blood.. Slytherin wouldn't have wanted him in his house. 2nd time, was Voldemort. Again, a mud-blood. Shouldn't have been in Slytherin at all, regardless of who's blood he had. 3rd time was when the hat told Harry that it'd never been wrong before.
You meant to say Half bloods, right? Mudbloods are all muggle borns.

First Voldemort, because he wasnt pure blood. But his one side wizard blood was very strong to Slytherin.
What is the ultimate sign of being a Slytherin? Clever and cunning. Can you find a more clever and cunning Slytherin than Voldemort?
So, can we really say sorting hat was wrong? umm... no, not in my opinion.

Snape was great to die, and aid Harry in the end.
But originally he wasnt. In early life, he was as dark as they come. He fancied dark arts and ended up being a death eater.
He probably would have stayed as a death eater, if it wasnt for his fiasco and Lily's death, who was the only person he loved in his life.
So sorting hat is right in that decision too.

Harry showed up with a part of Voldemort's soul in him, that is why Sorting Hat took long time and kept wanting to put Harry in Slytherin. It was Harry who wanted to belong to brave.
So in my opinion, Sorting hat wasnt wrong there either. It was hoodwinked by accidental horcrux in Harry.

I think DD's statement about sorting too soon, was more like a sarcasm towards Snape, than a fact statement.

"Let me tell you the secret that had led me to my goal. My strength lies, solely in my tenacity."
-Salazar Slytherin the founder of house Slytherin

"Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which all difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air."
-Godric Gryffindor the founder of house Gryffindor

"We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge all around us. And the more we gain, the more is our desire."
-Rowena Ravenclaw the founder of house Ravenclaw
cagedcactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:36   #9
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius Potter Fan View Post

I still really wonder why Wormtail made it into Gryffindor . . . I don't think he knew the other marauders previously to have asked the hat to put him in Gryffindor with them. He shows neither Courage or Loyalty.

Clearly the hat has it's flaws! . . . unless . . . Did Snape ask to be in Slytherin?
That is only true flaw I have been able to see so far on Sorting Hat's side.
But I could be wrong. Wormtail, was the most laid back of the 4 marauders. I think James and Sirius took the lead, and Lupin came from a poor back ground.
I think the first war broke Peter's faith in good side. He turned against his friends, and betrayed them out of fear, that Voldemort was going to win it all in the end anyways.....
But yes, we havent heard any brave thing from his side, let alone loyalty. So yeah, he was definitely not a Gryffindor by any means we have seen.

"Let me tell you the secret that had led me to my goal. My strength lies, solely in my tenacity."
-Salazar Slytherin the founder of house Slytherin

"Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which all difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air."
-Godric Gryffindor the founder of house Gryffindor

"We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge all around us. And the more we gain, the more is our desire."
-Rowena Ravenclaw the founder of house Ravenclaw
cagedcactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:53   #10
Piper
TFH Graduate

When the hat sorted Harry, it said it could see the potential to do great things and that Slytherin could help him in that regard. By great, I think it meant large, not good.

I don't think the sorting hat was wrong about Snape or Voldemort. They both ended up having a great impact on the world. It's like when Time magazine made Hitler Man of the Year, they didn't do it because they greatly admired him. But because of the impact that he had on the world. Voldemort went down in imfamy, but he did huge things.
Voldemort was an exceptional wizard, and so was Snape. And Snape was brave, but it was not the main thing with him, the main thing was about his abilities, he made the most of every talent given to him. Without his abilities, the bravery would not have been enough.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote