Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone

Discussions on Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone "The dog must be guarding Flamel's Philosopher's Stone ..."

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-01-2006, 16:45   #21
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

Re: Centaurs Prediction

This confuses me - Lord Voldemort despises anything that isn't pure blood, yet is happy to get the Giants on side (and sarcastically i wonder why) yet he seems to have left the centaurs alone.
Why? They are self sufficient, intelligent beings, that could spread the word of Voldemort's evilness. You would think he would wipe them out.
But then, they don't seem to take sides. They ignore the world around them therefore causing no problems for either side.
Has that balance been disturbed by Firenze? I would think it has, but what it means, I don't know.
Their predictions may have included their own reactions to what is going on, hence not wanting to share them with anyone.
I am still tossing up how far ahead JKR was thinking when she wrote about their original predictions, but i am beginning to suspect they didn't just involve Harry.
I believe the centaurs predictions are more general than that. there a re billions of stars, and to read just one boys future from them is just a little too hard to believe.

if you are still following my drift here,i think they have seen much more than Harry's fate, but rather the fate of the wizarding/magical world.
Or perhaps even two sides to it - if Voldemort defeats Harry and vice versa. They wouldn't want to tell Harry what they had seen, because that would add a lot of pressure on to Harry. Imagine if he already knew the outcome...would he slack off and therefore risk the fates changing, or would he go nuts wondering how on earth he gets to that ending?
Old 08-01-2006, 19:42   #22
HeleneB
TFH Graduate

Yes, isn't that the challenge that comes from knowing the future? Ever read anything by Robert Heinlein? He was a SciFi writer beginning in the 1930s up to the 1990s. His earlier stuff, I think, was his best, and he received several Hugo Awards. He wrote a short story about a guy who created a machine that could tell the exact date someone would die. The insurance companies wigged out. Uhh...sorry--started wandering down the garden path there . . .

It is very curious that LV seems not to have approached the Centaurs--but maybe he did? They seem rather testy, generally. And I agree with you that they probably see a much larger picture than Harry Potter, but I remember how forceful Firenze was about Harry right from the very beginning (bolding & italics are mine):
Quote:
"Firenze!" Bane thundered. "What are you doing? You have a human on your back! Have you no shame? Are you a common mule?"

"Do you realize who this is?" said Firenze. "This is the Potter boy. The quicker he leaves this forest, the better." . . .

Firenze suddenly reared on to his hind legs in anger, so that Harry had to grab his shoulders to stay on.

"Do you not see that unicorn?" Firenze bellowed at Bane. "Do you not understand why it was killed? Or have the planets not let you in on that secret? I set myself against what is lurking in this forest, Bane, yes, with humans alongside me if I must."
I'm sure this is why Firenze sacrificed everything to come and teach at Hogwarts.
HeleneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:09   #23
Alz
Head Unspeakable

From Firenze's comments there I think it suggests he personally saw something to do with Voldemort and decided to do all he could to try and prevent it ...
His remarks suggest he has set himself against what was in that forest - the same thing that killed the unicorn for blood - and he would fight side by side with the humans to rid the world of him ...
What it suggests most is perhaps he can see the centaurs being attacked or defeated by Voldemort and he decided to try and 'fight the future' rather than ignore or hide from it!
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 19:53   #24
HeleneB
TFH Graduate

And perhaps he agrees with DD in this issue--fight evil wherever you find it rather than hide from it and hope it won't notice you?
Old 10-01-2006, 12:58   #25
Alz
Head Unspeakable

I agree but feel there is more too it - to be so confrontational with the herd - to do what he later did and be outcast from the centaurs - whatever he saw in the stars, he knows that Voldemort has to be stopped or something bad is going to happen - and I'm not all that sure it is all linked to the welfare of Harry - something big would come if/when Voldemort returns - I think we are seeing that now as we are preparing for war in many factions of the magical world ...

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 10-01-2006, 13:15   #26
HeleneB
TFH Graduate

Quote:
"Do you not see that unicorn?" Firenze bellowed at Bane. "Do you not understand why it was killed? Or have the planets not let you in on that secret? I set myself against what is lurking in this forest, Bane, yes, with humans alongside me if I must."
This sounds as though Firenze is mocking the Centaurs' "reading" of the planets. Is that because he has seen it differently or perhaps interprets it differently? He certainly sees it as enough of a threat to make a lot of personal sacrifices for his beliefs.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:51   #27
Alz
Head Unspeakable

LOL - never read it that way before until you highlighted it - you think he was being sarcastic?
I like it only because I never saw it that way before - would be kind of funny if he is mocking something the centaurs have lived their lives by for so long and would have stood against him even more when he was booted out of the herd!
Nice pickup

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 13-01-2006, 12:00   #28
HeleneB
TFH Graduate

Well, I certainly think Firenze has chosen a course of action different from the others. Will he remain alone when the final battle comes?
Old 16-01-2006, 12:44   #29
Alz
Head Unspeakable

I think there is a chance when the centaurs really see what is happening that Firenze may act as a bridge between the races to allow a unified stance.
While Firenze may see or even read things different to his people - I feel he still wants to be part of them and looks ay his exclusion from the herd as a way to try and make things right with what he knows and also eventually to return to his people. Perhaps what he saw suggests that in a while he will get to go back - hence why he stood up and was kicked out?

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 16-01-2006, 12:55   #30
HeleneB
TFH Graduate

I hope so. They're certainly cool characters, and they were important enough to be included in the fountain at the MoM. In fact, could looking at who was included in the fountain be a clue to which groups will be important? There are other magical creatures that were not included in the fountain. I wonder why. I also wonder if SPEW is in the books only for laughs. Will the house elves be more involved since they are included in the fountain? I wonder if Dobby could have been involved if DD faked his death. Dobby makes a comment about being willing to throw himself off the highest tower for DD.

It would be nice if Firenze saw in the future a time he would be accepted back in the herd. But it speaks loads to his strength of character if he did not and was still willing to take the path he did in supporting Harry and DD.