Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone

Discussions on Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone "The dog must be guarding Flamel's Philosopher's Stone ..."

Old 23-11-2004, 12:45   #11
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Re: How does Dumbledore know?

See, my major objection to the all seeing Dumbledore is that - well he should be all seeing ...
This means when Harry goes for his little adventures - Dumbledore should know - even where he went after the Portkey in GoF - as such he should have apparated after him.
Then - are we also to assume it is just the kids - or in fact anyone and everyone?
As such - he would know where Voldemort and the Death Eaters are etc.
I think this is too much power for one person to possess and it would also leave another hole in the plot - because theoretically Dumbledore could and would know where any of his students and indeed maybe the wizarding world - so we cast back to the famous night - couldnt he have tracked Voldemort on route?
I am just trying to expand the idea to see how well it fits ...
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 21:16   #12
kaz
Professor of Potterology

I don't think Dumbledore could have apparated after the port key in GoF because you can't apprarate or disapparate in the shcool grounds- also he would have had other matters (such as Krum and Fleur in the maze) to attend to.

When Sirius tells Harry to send letter to him, he says "Your owl will know where to find me" My opinion is that the owl has a kind of inner sense. Like Fawkes knew that Harry needed him in the CoS. I know he was loyal to Dumbledore and Pheonix's are not owls but still, it was like an inner sense to go and help. I know, that have a built in GPS.... (kidding!)

I can't remember, did Hermione have to address the letter to Krum?
kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 21:21   #13
kaz
Professor of Potterology

OK, I went a bit off there! Dumbledore address' the letter to Harry in each specific room. Possible that Hedwig is relaying messages- not that quickly. Ok...

The letters also followed Harry out to the hut on the rocks where Hagrid first met him. Maybe the protection Dumbledore cast over Harry has them linked some how, so that Dumbledore can sense where ever Harry goes. Like the scar connects Harry to Voldemort and Harry feels pain whenever Voldy is happy or mad. Maybe Dumbledore has a tracking spell kind of thing on Harry.
kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 21:53   #14
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

Maybe Voldemort didn't even give Harry the scar. Maybe after Voldemort attacked him and disappeared, Dumbledore gave him the scar, to keep Harry linked to them both (not a triangle link though coz then Harry isn't necessary). Dumbledore said he could have taken the scar away, didn't he?

I agree with Kaz, Dumbledore's spell that he put on Harry for him to stay at the Dursely's could also have linked them together. Dumbledore knows how important Harry is to the prophecy. Off topic - After hearing that Lily and James were killed, and Harry survived, Dumbledore prolly sent Hagrid there so he could go to Neville and cast a protective spell on him. What if he thought Voldemort would go after both of them? In PS/SS, Dumbledore knew Hermione had cast a spell on Neville so they could sneak out. Do we really think they told him that?
I think Dumbledore knows what both Harry and Neville are up to.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:22   #15
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

It was explained that when a child with magic is born there is a magic quill that enters the childs name in the Hogwarts book. That would have to be a very powerful quill - maybe it's the same quill that addresses the envelopes for the school.

Dumbledore has admitted he can become invisible without a cloak, and he told Harry he has watched him more closely than he can have imagined. I'd like to think that Dumbledore popped in on Harry at the Dursley's now and then over the years to see how he was coming along. Someone mentioned Mrs. Figg watching Harry, but I don't think she has any power to become invisible or watch Harry unnoticed.

As for the owls knowing where to deliver the letters to - I think they have an internal tracking system. In OotP, Harry addressed a letter to Snuffles then he whispered to Hedwig that it was actually for Sirius, so it's the owls that know where to go to deliver their letters.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2005, 04:41   #16
Boing
Pops in randomly

Good point about Dumbledore being invisible whenever he wants without the cloak. I like the idea that he would have popped in on Harry every once in awhile . . . must have been so hard on him to see the way that the Dursleys were treating him. I wonder that he didn't send Petunia another letter or something in the meantime to remedy some of the mistreatment Harry was getting.

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2005, 13:09   #17
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boing
Good point about Dumbledore being invisible whenever he wants without the cloak. I like the idea that he would have popped in on Harry every once in awhile . . . must have been so hard on him to see the way that the Dursleys were treating him. I wonder that he didn't send Petunia another letter or something in the meantime to remedy some of the mistreatment Harry was getting.
I've thought of that as well - Dumbledore becoming invisible and watching Harry as he grew. I don't think he would have interfered because Harry had to have his "safe place" to stay in the summer, and Dumbledore knew that he couldn't risk upsetting the Dursley's by reprimanding them for their treatment of Harry. I'm sure he would have been upset, but Harry wasn't being physically harmed, just mentally and emotionally. I can't wait though, I believe Dumbledore will have his say with the Dursley's before it's all said and done. I'm counting on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise
See, my major objection to the all seeing Dumbledore is that - well he should be all seeing ...
Dumbledore isn't all-seeing - he's very smart and powerful, but he doesn't have seer blood - he makes too many mistakes for that. I think he's a lot more 'human' than he's given credit for - he's just such an impressive presence, it's easy to be misled into the theory that he should or would know everything.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Old 21-06-2005, 18:25   #18
Boing
Pops in randomly

When reading OotP yesterday, I also noticed that when Dumbledore sent the Howler to Petunia, it was addressed to her in the kitchen. So, again, he appears to know exactly where she is. Also, it said, "Remember my last," which he apparently knew would force her to keep Harry with them.

So, another question comes up - did he know that Vernon had just threatened to force Harry out of the house and so sent the letter to Petunia? Or did he just guess that Vernon or Petunia would think about putting Harry on the street and sent the Howler as a precaution? The way it was worded, it's like he knew exactly what was happening . . . so, he does seem to be keeping a very close watch on Harry and what happens in that house at Number 4 . . .

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Old 21-06-2005, 19:06   #19
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boing
When reading OotP yesterday, I also noticed that when Dumbledore sent the Howler to Petunia, it was addressed to her in the kitchen. So, again, he appears to know exactly where she is. Also, it said, "Remember my last," which he apparently knew would force her to keep Harry with them.

So, another question comes up - did he know that Vernon had just threatened to force Harry out of the house and so sent the letter to Petunia? Or did he just guess that Vernon or Petunia would think about putting Harry on the street and sent the Howler as a precaution? The way it was worded, it's like he knew exactly what was happening . . . so, he does seem to be keeping a very close watch on Harry and what happens in that house at Number 4 . . .
I just began to read the series again to prepare for book 6, (or in anticipation you might say ) OotP is my all-time fav - I can't wait until I get there

Dumbledore tells Harry in the chapter The Lost Prophecy that he thought Petunia needed reminding of her agreement to keep Harry as that was what had kept him alive for the past fourteen years. He said he knew that the dementor attack might show the Dursley's the danger of having Harry as a surrogate son. (I love that chapter)

In HBP, I hope we find out how much Dumbledore has watched Harry, and I hope he makes an appearance at the Dursley's and tells them off for the way they treat Harry.

I think Dumbledore knows a lot simply because he's an old-fashioned eavesdropper in his invisible form. However he becomes invisible will come to light and we will all be going, Oh yeah, that makes sense.

Sybil Trelawney
Old 22-06-2005, 08:24   #20
Boing
Pops in randomly

See, this is why I need to read ahead before I post. I get so excited about something that ends up being cleared up later in the story.

I do hope we find out how Dumbledore can be invisible. And what he's been doing with it. I don't think all of his knowledge comes simply from guessing correctly how people will react in certain situations.

As for the CoS letter Harry gets in the Burrow, I think that Dumbledore might have heard from Mrs. Figg that Harry left. She might have been awake or woke up because of the car flying through the air and let him know. Just an idea.

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!