Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone

Discussions on Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone "The dog must be guarding Flamel's Philosopher's Stone ..."

Old 18-12-2004, 03:41   #1
Tinkerbell
Graduating

Very, very old wizard...?

In Chapter 5, Diagon Alley, in PS/SS, during Harry's first visit to the wizarding shopping mall, when he visits Ollvanders , we are told that they have been Wand makers since 382 BC.

No other shop in Diagon Alley denotes how long they have been trading – is there any significance in this, or is it simply a clever way of JKR illustrating how long magic has been in existence? It is interesting that no other shops are described by when they were established.

Growing older is mandatory...Growing up is optional... laughing at yourself is therapeutic... laughing with others is fun!!
Tinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2004, 08:26   #2
Boing
Pops in randomly

Re: Very, very old wizard...?

Hmmm, so perhaps she is either trying to show us when a significant part of magical history came into place - perhaps the first time wands were used by most wizards to perform magic?

I never thought that maybe Ollivander himself was that old, but rather that the store had been passed down through generations of Ollivanders to this guy.

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2004, 14:17   #3
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Yah actually - i wonder if he has been the sole proprieter all this time?
I agree with the point I think it was marked to show how important the wand was - and that it's invention and use was attributed back to the Ollivanders?
Also - is Ollivanders the only wand shop - in England or the world?
It is said the wand chooses the wizard - so what if there are more than one shop - and the wand for the wizard isnt in that shop?
Would a student have to shop around the globe - is there an internet shop where you can test OL to see who has your right wand and they mail order it to you

All the same - how many wand shops are there - and if you place a witch of wizard in another shop would they get the same wand?
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2004, 20:03   #4
Tonks
Unspeakable

Ok, I do think that this was just a nice way to show us that magic has been along a really long time, and a wand is very important.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise
Yah actually - i wonder if he has been the sole proprieter all this time?
I don't think so. We know that there are other wand makes, such as the Gregorians or some similar weird G name along those lines, and they all like to use different materials to put in the wands core.
Quote:
Also - is Ollivanders the only wand shop - in England or the world?
I highly doubt it is the only wand shop in the world, but in London, most definitely. In England, possibly. I don't remember hearing about one in Hogsmeade, and I think those two places are really the only two sole-wizarding establishments/shopping places in England, so unless there is one that just sort of stands on its own, then no I don't think so.
Quote:
It is said the wand chooses the wizard - so what if there are more than one shop - and the wand for the wizard isnt in that shop?
I think that while the wand chooses the wizard, they aren't exactly the most pickiest things in the world. I bet that there is more than one right wand for everyone (what happens if yours is broken or destroyed in some way?)
Quote:
All the same - how many wand shops are there - and if you place a witch of wizard in another shop would they get the same wand?
No idea how many wand shops there are, but I think that if you placed a witch or wizard in another shop, they would probably get a somewhat similar wizard, although not an exactly identical one. I have a feeling that all wands are different in some way, especially because there are so many various types of woods and cores that can be used, not to mention the possible lengths and thicknesses, etc.

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."
- Albus Dumbledore
Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2004, 11:36   #5
Alz
Head Unspeakable

See - I saw it differently ...
In order for a Wizard or Witch to be the best they needed the 'right' wand ...
Well - I think that is personal and I think IMHO that if there are more than one shop - then a person would have to 'shop around' to find the right wand ...

I dont doubt that people can do magic with other wands - but I think in order to be great they need the right wand ... and the wand chooses the wizard

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 20-12-2004, 22:06   #6
Weasleyfanforever
TFH Graduate

Actually, Tonks is right. There are other shops, or at least other wand makers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gof, The Weighing of the Wands
“Yes,” said Mr. Ollivander, “yes, I’ve never used veela hair myself, of course. I find it makes for rather temperamental wands…however, to each his own, and if this suits you..”
Mr. Ollivander ran his fingers along the wand, apparently checking for scratches or bumps; then he muttered, “Orchideous!” and a bunch of flowers burst from the wand tip.
“Very well, very well, it’s in fine working order,” said Mr. Ollivander, scooping up the flowers and handing them to Fleur with her wand. “Mr. Diggory, you next.”
Fleur glided back to her seat, smiling at Cedric as he passed her.
“Ah, now, this is one of mine, isn’t it?” said Mr. Ollivander, with much more enthusiasm, as Cedric handed over his wand. “Yes, I remember it well. Containing a single hair from the tail of a particularly fine male unicorn. . . must have been seventeen hands; nearly gored me with his horn after I plucked his tail. Twelve and a quarter inches. . . ash. . . pleasantly springy. It’s in fine condition…You treat it regularly?”
“Polished it last night,” said Cedric, grinning.
Harry hooked down at his own wand. He could see finger marks all over it. He gathered a fistful of robe from his knee and tried to rub it clean surreptitiously. Several gold sparks shot out of the end of it. Fleur Delacour gave him a very patronizing look, and he desisted.
Mr. Ollivander sent a stream of silver smoke rings across the room from the tip of Cedric’s wand, pronounced himself satisfied, and then said, “Mr. Krum, if you please.”
Viktor Krum got up and slouched, round-shouldered and duck-footed, toward Mr.
Ollivander. He thrust out his wand and stood scowling, with his hands in the pockets of his robes.
“Hmm,” said Mr. Ollivander, “this is a Gregorovitch creation, unless I’m much mistaken? A fine wand-maker, though the styling is never quite what I. . . however. .”
Old 21-12-2004, 12:57   #7
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Well - I think I was more going for was there other wand shops!
OK, I quit ....
I just thought that there could be many wizards and witches out there that arent great - good but not great because they never found the one true and right wand .... because it was in another shop/location

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 12-02-2007, 08:02   #8
Jenelle
Supreme Mugwump

I was wondering if all of this had anything to do with the DE taking Ollivander? Didnt they say that their wasnt a struggle? Or was there? Either way he is either dead, helping the dark side, or being made to help the dark side right? I wonder what he could be doing if he is still alive, maybe the wands have more to do with the story than we know.
OotP movie comes out.
AND
Deathly Hallows is released.
I cant wait!
Jenelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 21:10   #9
Piper
TFH Graduate

In HBP when it is mentioned that Ollivander has gone missing, someone asks, "What will people do for wands" and the reply was that they would have to use other wand makers, but that it would be a blow to the good side if the Voldermort has Mr Olivander because he is the best.
So I would agree that there probably are many witches and wizards out there who are not being all that they could be.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2007, 14:52   #10
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

You know what just occured to me reading this thread . . .

Harry and Voldemort both got their wands from Olivander . . .

their Wands are brothers, both sharing the only two feathers donated by Fawkes . . .

We also know what happened in the graveyard in GoF, when the wands joined in priori incantatem . . .

DD said that the two wands wouldn't work "properly" against each other . . .

Voldemort was actualy frightened of what happened with the wands . . .

Perhaps he needs Olivander to make him a new wand?

or . . . is he planning to get Harry's wand or have it broken, and wanting to make certain that Harry can't get another "just right for him" wand? I would say it would be one or the other wouldn't you?

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote