Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone

Discussions on Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone "The dog must be guarding Flamel's Philosopher's Stone ..."

Old 24-12-2004, 12:47   #11
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Re: The wand chooses the Wizard ...

Yah actually I wonder if that is about right?
I wonder if Harry will switch wands and catch Voldemort offside ...
I do think that the phoenix core is kinda right for Harry - I mean the Fawkes thing etc ...
.... OMG unles .... Umm that could be a thread for wild speculation!
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 13:51   #12
Nagini
Time Turners

What you can't just leave it at that...

On reflection it's possible that the wands chose Voldemort and Harry because of their other similarities. Voldemort is a half blood, his mother died when he was at a young age (giving birth to him no less), he never knew either of his parents. Harry lost both his parents because Voldemort murdered them, he didn't know either of them. They both had unhappy upbringings, Voldemort hated the orphanage and Harry, quite understandably hated the Dursleys and both are very gifted magically. Well we are reminded again and again that Harry is gifted but dont see a lot of it until it really matters - like producing a powerful patronus. We saw just how powerful Voldemort was, he almost became immortal.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:16   #13
Alz
Head Unspeakable

LOL - you know I think I forgot what I was gonna place in wild spec
I will re-read and see if I can get it back

We are told when Harry was attacked he inherited some of Voldemort's powers - as such he has some of Voldemort's traits ...
What if the wand picked up on the Voldemort part of Harry and not Harry himself?
What I mean to say is perhaps Harry isnt fulfilling his best because he is using a wand that sensed the strong Voldemort traits in him and such went for the similar kind of wand?
I wonder if Harry was to loose any of this Voldemort traits in him - he might get another wand that is more in tune with him?
It's like the sorting hat - it isnt a 100% correct process - I think the wand just saw the very strong powers of Voldemort in Harry ...

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 02-02-2005, 14:09   #14
Boing
Pops in randomly

I was thinking that the wand somehow "knows" about the prophecy and put itself in Harry's hands because it knew that it could save him from some tough spots he got himelf into with Voldemort.

But my goodness, if Harry has the wrong wand and he can do the magic we have seen - that's one powerful little wizard! I can't imagine if that is true and he got the right wand . . .

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 14:38   #15
Nagini
Time Turners

Actually what you have both been saying kinda makes sense. Hermione is always going on about Harry being a really powerful wizard and its mentioned throughout all the books. Everyone has built Harry up to be the one who managed to escape Voldemort four times and perform a patronus charm to get rid of the Dementors etc (I'm sure your all famillar with the books ). But if you actually look at it, Harry struggles with his studies and his magic through most of the books. The only thing he has found easy was flying the rest including the Patronus charm which I know is a powerful bit of magic took time for him to learn. Against Voldemort in the power stakes he just doesn't compare and he isn't even as powerful as Hermione who is a witch of his own age.

This could be attributed to the wand actually stopping Harry from reaching HIS own potential as it is only feeling the parts of Voldemort that passed over which so far haven't needed a wand - parseltongue and some kind of occulmency with Voldemort. If Harry is as powerful as he is made out to be, perhaps this wand is holding him back from becoming that powerful wizard as I am not convinced we have seen his full magical abilities yet.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:16   #16
Alz
Head Unspeakable

See I think if the wand is feeding off the essence of Voldemort that remains in Harry - then we will always have Priori Incatem if these two puppies start to rumble again ...
BUT, if indeed Harry's wand only chose him because of the Voldemort feelings - then it is plausible Harry would find true power in another wand - the deadlock could be broke and these two could duel to the death at some point ...
I know it seems a little out there - but maybe worth a thought or 2 - because when Harry and Voldemort do meet - then can use wands - then something has to give to break that deadlock.

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 03-02-2005, 20:45   #17
Sirius-fan-forever
TFH Graduate

I think the wands choose the wizard based on probably several characteristics. Harry's wand is brother to voldemorts wand and we know that voldemort's powers got transferred to Harry during the attack. I don't think that these are trivial powers and that the wand only chose him because in essence it reminded him of voldemort. These powers that were transferred make the core powers in Harry very similar to voldemorts...aside from that and similarities in their personalities and circumstances in life. I think that this wand chosing Harry, if anything is beneficial. I dunno...but my theory still doesn't explain how the two will duel without one getting a new wand. So maybe there will be a change of wands for one reason or another.
Sirius-fan-forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:45   #18
Alz
Head Unspeakable

See that is the thing - we know the PI moment in GoF makes them unviable to fight via duel in the big ending - but if it is possible the wand picked up on the essence of Voldemort in Harry - one day he might pick up another wand and do many, many great things he couldnt do with his current one.
OT alert and asked in another thread - but I wonder how much of what Voldemort left in Harry that night made Harry what he is today? Just a point I like - dont debate that here please

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 06-02-2005, 14:16   #19
yarvelling
TFH Graduate

It is indeed pretty clear from the first book that the wand chose Harry because it sensed/felt the power in him. I believe that the powers that Voldemort left in Harry are an integral part of Harry and his personality, and of course the root of his being a more powerful wizard than many of his fellow students. I don't believe that the wand is responsible for this power though; it is Harry alone, who through his developing years at Hogwarts is discovering magic and how to use it, is finding out slowly just how powerful he can be.
The wand, like the Sorting Hat, will have felt Harrys' inherant goodness, and courage, and as such is surely just a means of channeling the power that Harry tries to exert when casting spells, albeit a very powerful conduit!
I also don't feel that Harry would have to use a different wand in order to defeat Voldemort, as it was made clear in the first couple of books that a different wand as never as effective as your own 'chosen' wand. Harry's wand, like Harry, if it is to defeat Voldemort, will almost certainly be able to chanel Harry's power effectively, as we saw in GoF, and as Harry's powers increase then so will his wands' power.
Of course, the words of the profecy (OotP) are ambiguous and we can't be really certain as to their meaning, but it may not be in Harrys' best interests to even try to kill Voldemort, and the wand even, may decide that it would not be prudent! That also depends upon whether JKR allows Harry to learn the killing curse in the forthcoming books! And also whether Voldemort finds out the wording of the prophecy........
Old 06-02-2005, 14:21   #20
Tinkerbell
Graduating

I am currently listening to GoF on audio CD, and got to thinking about the wand chooses the wizard thing when we have the wand weighing ceremony and we hear about Fleur's wand containing a Veela hair and that her grandmother was a Veela. This got me to thinking that perhaps Harry WILL change his wand and therefore he will be able to defeat Voldemort, and one of the important things will be the significance of the wand's core.

We are aware that wand cores come from phoenix feathers, dragon heart strings and unicorn tail hairs - how about a tail hair from a Centaur? Possibly from Firenze???

Growing older is mandatory...Growing up is optional... laughing at yourself is therapeutic... laughing with others is fun!!
Tinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote