Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Prisoner of Azkaban

Discussions on Prisoner of Azkaban "If Black can break out of Azkaban ..."

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 27-12-2004, 15:23   #1
Kingsley
TFH Graduates

Who else knew Sirius was innocent?

I was thinking how Malfoy was talking to Harry about Sirius and how he seemed to know more than Harry and Ron.

Did Draco know Sirius was innocent or was he just being the usual pest
Did Snape actually not know the truth?
Did the other death eaters know he was innocent or did they even care?
If Lucius knew, arent there certain strings he would have pulled as far as where Fudge would be concerned

I just thought that since the death eaters are a priveleged gang wouldnt they frown upon all accused

Trying to be normal these days

Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2004, 19:41   #2
Rooster
Lurkers

Re: Who else knew Sirius was innocent?

I doubt Draco knew that Sirius was innocent - I don't his father would have trusted him with info that important. As for Snape I think it might have to do with Snape not being trusted and being left out of some of the ongoings of the inner circle. I think that if Snape knew I doubt he would have tried to have Sirius killed by the Dementors. I think part of the reason Snape wanted to catch Sirius himself was because he though Sirius was the cause of Lily's death.
Old 28-12-2004, 11:02   #3
Tinkerbell
Graduating

If any of the DE's knew that Sirius was innocent, they were unlikely to tell anyone in authority. After all, the fact that everyone believed Sirius was the culprit allowed Wormtail to masquerade freely as Scabbers and gather (probably) invaluable information on Harry for Voldemort.

Growing older is mandatory...Growing up is optional... laughing at yourself is therapeutic... laughing with others is fun!!
Tinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2004, 13:46   #4
Alz
Head Unspeakable

I think Draco just liked to act like he knew more and be bigger than other people ... where in reality I dont think he knew any better than anyone else ...

I think Snape knew Sirius was innocent because he would have known that in fact it was Pettigrew that did the informing on the Potters ... he would probably have witnessed it!
I'm not convinced he knew Pettigrew was still alive thou ... you have to remember Pettigrew turned rat and hid after Voldemort died - and I dont think Pettigrew went calling on other DE's ...
Snape prolly assumed that Sirius tracked Pettigrew down and then killed him because of the fact of him involvement in the Potters Death ...
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2004, 19:12   #5
MissWhizbee
Mature Graduates

Good thread! I often wondered about this. Surely Snape at least knew that Sirius wasn't a death eater, right? And then wouldn't all the other DEs know that as well. I don't think the DEs would care whether Sirius was imprisoned wrongly. The acts were still attributed to the DEs and I imagine that is all they cared about.

It is plausible that Snape may have known that Sirius wasn't a death eater, and maybe have even knew that Wormtail betrayed the Potters and still thought that Sirius was guilty, since the confrontation between Wormtail and Sirius wasn't planned and he didn't have any inside info regarding it. For all intents and purposes Snape could simply think that Sirius really did kill Peter and all those other people, even if he knows that he wasn't the one that betrayed Lily and James and wasn't a DE.

I think the same thing could be said for Lucius as well. Maybe Draco did know more than Harry and Ron, but he only knew that it wasn't Sirius who betrayed Harry's parents and he didn't know that Sirius didn't kill wormtail or the other people.
Old 29-12-2004, 08:11   #6
Boing
Pops in randomly

Wow - I had never thought about this before. I think the most intriguing part is whether or not Snape knew about Sirius' innocence or not. I think it is completely possible that he would have witnessed the betrayal of James and Lily's whereabouts by Pettigrew, but Miss Whizbee makes a good point that he might still have believed that Pettigrew, et al died at the hands of Sirius in a revenge act.

I think that the latter is probably the case - Snape believed Sirius killed a whole bunch of innocent people - but if he knew that, then why didn't he tell Dumbledore that Pettigrew was the one that betrayed Lily and James???

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2004, 08:17   #7
Kingsley
TFH Graduates

Its funny how most of these plot speculations go back to Snape
He only talks to Dumbledore about his beliefs and ideas--why wouldnt he have told Dumbledore about Pettigrew being the DE in training at least--everyone believed Sirius was Voldemort's right hand man--even Crouch jr knew that was false

So wouldnt Dumbledore know that

Trying to be normal these days

Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2005, 12:54   #8
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsley
I was thinking how Malfoy was talking to Harry about Sirius and how he seemed to know more than Harry and Ron.
I think Draco only knew the story about Sirius being the one who betrayed the Potter's. He told Harry something like if it were him, he'd want to get revenge, (something like that...my books in the car,) yet, at that point Harry didn't know what Draco was talking about. Ron thought he was trying to talk Harry into doing something stupid like catching Sirius. I don't think Draco knew that Pettigrew was the one who betrayed the Potters. What bugged me was the fact that Draco knew more about what happened to Harry's parents then Harry did. I would think that the adults in his life should tell him a bit more information, especially when it that huge and it pertains specifically to him. It's the same as Lucius in the Department of Mysteries....he knew about the prophecy and what it was for. He made Harry look stupid for his lack of knowledge, and made Dumbledore look feeble in not telling Harry something so cosmically important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsley
Did Snape actually not know the truth?
Did the other death eaters know he was innocent or did they even care?
If Lucius knew, arent there certain strings he would have pulled as far as where Fudge would be concerned
I don't think Snape knew the whole truth. I'm sure he knew that Pettigrew was the one who was working for Voldemort. He had to know if he was spying for Dumbledore. But I don't think he knew that Sirius wasn't the one who killed the Muggles or Pettigrew. Since, like Voldemort, Pettigrew disappeared instead of facing the Death Eaters regarding the information he gave Voldemort which led to his downfall - there was no one else to tell the story of what really happened the day Pettigrew disappeared and Sirius got sent to Azkaban. None of the Death Eaters knew what really happened and that Pettigrew was still alive. That's the way Wormtail wanted it for his own safety.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2005, 18:17   #9
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

I think you are all forgetting one important fact. In the pensieve, Harry discovers that Voldemort was the only one who knew all the names of the Death Eaters. Sure, some of them knew of each other, but due to the numbers and the fact that they are all in cloaks and hoods, no one knew who all of them were. We learnt this when Voldemort passed over some without speaking to them in the graveyard.

I don't think anybody knew for sure if Sirius was or wasn't a Death Eater. I don't think anybody doubted that he killed Wormtail and the Muggles though. Of course, if they had just tested his wand to see the last spell out of it...

Only Sirius and Peter knew the truth before PoA, that I believe. Everything else was speculation.