Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone

Discussions on Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone "The dog must be guarding Flamel's Philosopher's Stone ..."

Old 17-06-2005, 00:29   #21
jburden
/**}\ 1st Renegade /**}\

Re: potters close to dd?

Here is my therory.

The secret keeper can't be one one who cast the spell to create the secret keeper...therefore DD was the best choice to do the actual spell.

because of this, serius would be the next runner up, since he was the best choice.

get what i mean? there person who cast the spell to create a secret keeper, can't cast it upon ones self because...something blocks them fro doing that. so since DD was the most powerful of his time, he could make the best SK spell there was. Then he cast it on serious, the most trusted and such, to make the spell even more effective. But serius, knowing he was a obvious choice, thougth by making peter the SK, it would stall time from voldy getting at the potters. but peter betrayed them...so that is how it ends up now.
jburden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2005, 13:07   #22
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarvelling
How can we be so sure that the Potters would be perfectly safe if they had holed-up at Hogwarts?
Voldemort knows where Hogwarts castle is so he would have no difficulty in finding it, and had he found out that the Potters were there, he would have gone without hesitation. Pettigrew would probably have been able to give him that info.
Do we know yet if Voldemort is an animagus? I'd find it pretty 'odd' if he hadn't mastered that art! If Sirius could enter Hogwarts undetected in his dog form, then I would imagine that the 'Big V' could easily slip in too - I would guess that his animal form would be a serpent, so he could easily keep to shadows, dark corridors etc. He could then have found the Potters with little difficulty, and done whatever he saw fit!
If he couldn't do this, then I would imagine that he could have brought an army of Dementors, trolls, DEs, and giants and wrecked havoc on the castle and its' occupants until he had found Lilly and James. Of course, this would have left him very vulnerable and open to injury, so knowing him, he'd have let his minions do the dirty work until thte Potters had been found and it was safe to come out into the open.
The fact remains my friend - and a point Harry made to Riddle in CoS to great effect - that even at the height of Voldemort's power - he never took Dumbledore or Hogwarts on - and the reason is because it represents a true haven - and given the fact that the Chamber was their - a place where the Dark Lord could have total comfort and maybe protection - he never saw fit to go for it ...
There is a reason he fears Dumbledore and the same reason he never attacked Hogwarts - combine the two and it is formidable - just ask yourself why ...
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2005, 17:26   #23
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Considering the power involved in the Fidelius Charm - and the fact that once it was in place - there was only one way it could go wrong - everyone involved was confident of the Potter's safety. As was mentioned before, Dumbledore was very busy at the time with the Order and Lily was surely good enough at charms to place the spell on whomever they chose to be Secret - Keeper. Sure, Dumbledore was the most qualified for the job - he was completely beyond reproach in the eyes of everyone who knew him. Hogwarts would have been the ideal location to hide someone Voldemort sought, but the fact remains that everyone involved, including Dumbledore knew the power of the Fidelius Charm and believed once the charm was in place that Voldemort didn't stand a chance. Looking back on how everyone who knew James and Sirius when at Hogwarts said they were as good as brothers - there was no doubt that Sirius would do everything he could to protect them.

Part of the reason why Dumbledore immediately began to prepare for Harry's safety and future could have been because of the guilt he felt for not demanding that he take on the role as Secret-Keeper - it could be the same guilt that made him care more for Harry than his plan. I'm sure that if Dumbledore insisted on being their Secret-Keeper, the Potter's would not have argued with him.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2005, 12:10   #24
Alz
Head Unspeakable

..Or maybe - just maybe there was a reason they didnít choose him?
You see my point - supposition works many ways - your interpretation of their actions are one way - I another...
The fact remains that they were looking for the best chances of survival from the biggest risk to the Wizarding race in that time - they surely would have opted for a resource that guaranteed the best chances of survival to their child ... it isnít a gamble...
I think that they chose who they felt offered the best chance of survival - but doesnít mean that he was - just one they trusted above all else ...
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 15:53   #25
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

I don't want to divert into wild spec too far but I can see a possible hesitance in the Potter's choice, but I have to bring Snape back into the picture. At the time of the Potter's death, Snape had only been back to Hogwarts, and to our knowledge, back working for Dumbledore, for a few short months. We know the animosity between James and Snape as JKR has pointed it out to us since book 1.

Maybe the Potter's didn't choose Dumbledore because of Snape. He had been a Death Eater in Voldemort's inner circle, and Voldemort wanted to kill them. I can only assume that Dumbledore told the Potter's the same story he told Harry, that he had his reasons for trusting Snape, and they just weren't good enough for the Potters, therefore, they chose not to place their lives in the hands of one so close to a supposedly reformed Death Eater, and James's old school enemy.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2006, 05:08   #26
kausarqadir
TFH Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashlie
Dumbledore offered to be their secret keeper, didn't he? But they turned him down? This was because of the prophecy, the Potter's knew their son was in danger, but didn't want the entire order to lose Dumbledore should Voldemort over power him.
I think DD is close to all the members of the order, and he got closer to the Potters upon hearing the prophecy, so I daresay he was close to the Longbottoms too.
yes, i agree with you Kashlie, you answered my question here. but about the secret keeper, i am still in doubt, that we know anything of the reason, why they chose peter when they have the best choice available, that's dd, ofcourse.
kausarqadir is offline   Reply With Quote