Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone

Discussions on Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone "The dog must be guarding Flamel's Philosopher's Stone ..."

Old 12-08-2006, 11:12   #11
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Re: mistake in hbp linked wit this book

Nice to see you back SM
You have to wonder the DiE implications on the DADA thing thou right - I mean being the personification of goodness and knowing that the DADA job seemed cursed, I don't believe he ever made the DADA candidates aware in advance ... so perhaps we was strategically lining up people for failure ... OohHhhh
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2006, 10:52   #12
SnarkologyMajor
TFH Graduate

Thanks Alz And I can't fault the reasoning-I know most fans refuse to see alot of clues that point to DiE(and there are alot of them!), because it's really, really difficult to balance the idea against what JKR has said about Dumbledore. Plus there's an emotional connection and much to love-to pull the rug out from everyone could be traumatizing! Unless she was able to pull off another switched or mistaken identity on a truly huge scale....

Was thinking about this subject in regards to Snape taking the DADA job and it's possible there's more to it than giving him an out. Considering this is Voldemort who cursed the position-do we really think it would be something as simple as whoever takes the job, loses it in a yr.? I should think Voldemort would use a curse to his advantage-he uses everything to his advantage. Just throwing around a couple of ideas-one of which is that the curse could have included whoever takes the job belongs to Voldemort. Quirrell is a no-brainer, he had Vapormort actually in his head , if Lockhart would have been able to obliviate Harry and Ron-they never would have disrupted Tom's plans w/Ginny, Mad-Eye (Barty) was certainly doing the bidding of Voldemort, Umbridge tried to get Sybill removed from Hogwarts, and Voldemort would have hit paydirt w/her, Snape ends up killing Dumbledore-the one to throw off the pattern is Lupin which puts my guard up! The other idea involves all of them having a secret revealed-which Lupin would fit(Umbridge too-she was the one who sent the dementors to Privet Drive)-it just seems that finally giving Snape the position at that specific time made it magically impossible for him to do anything but kill Dumbledore. I'm already convinced Snape is on the right side, so this isn't a defense of that position-rather an attempt to decipher details about Dumbledore's plan. What do you guys think...

Last edited by Alz; 14-08-2006 at 11:19..
SnarkologyMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2006, 11:23   #13
Alz
Head Unspeakable

I suppose this is all down to if you believe in fate - but in a book fate is easily faked and I am sure JKR made sure each DADA left before book 6 information to ensure it looked consistent. What makes me wonder is for the longest time since that meeting between Dumbledore and Voldemort - a lot of DADA teachers would have come and gone ... I mean it couldn't have gone unnoticed considering pretty much all of them would have been at Hogwarts at some point in time ... why did no-one else make the link!
I think you could attribute this to a continuity error on behalf of JKR - would have been a tall order explaining how each DADA was gone after a year and yet no-one seemed to bat an eyelid!
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2006, 19:55   #14
secret seeker
The Half Blood Prince

Lightbulb Re: mistake in hbp linked wit this book

It was a common rumour at Hogwarts that the DADA post was cursed, maybe Dumbledore started the rumour, knowing only he himself and Tom riddle knew its real implications. I think Dumbledore wanted the rumour to spread throughout the wizarding community, that way, any wizard who took the post would be, at least a little, fore-warned. It could be that when Dumbledore interviewed potential candidates for the post he half jokingly mentioned the curse, and then more seriously mentioned the track record, and left it up to the applicant to decide whether to contiue or not. I cant see Dumbledore not telling people they were going to be unwitting casualties of the curse, especially when their life could be at risk, yet he could not tell them of the curse.
We know how easily rumours are started, dont we Rita skeeter.

Last edited by secret seeker; 13-10-2006 at 20:02..
secret seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2006, 07:42   #15
Lovegood54
Luna's Biggest Fan!

isnt the rumor amoung the students that the DADA position is jinxed not cursed? because in my mind jinxed has a different tone than curse. it also implies that while no one can hold the position for more than a year and this has been hapening for many years, that before harry arrived most of the teachers left for non-fatal reasons like they were really bad a teaching and were fired, they lost interest in teaching and resigned (like lupin resigned so he wouldnt be fired cause everyone knew he was a werewolf), or something else? otherwise we would have to think that if every DADA teacher left for reasons that were lethal, the ministry would have stepped in and investigated many times why all the DADA teacher were being maimed near the end of each year, you know?

"Mistletoe," said Luna dreamily, pointing at a large clump of white berries placed almost over Harry's head. He jumped out from under it. "Good thinking," said Luna very seriously. "It's often infested with nargles."

If it's wrong to think Tom Riddle is attractive, then i don't want to be right.
Lovegood54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 13:02   #16
secret seeker
The Half Blood Prince

Sorry, should have stated clearer.
Obviously, not all the reasons were lethal or, as you so rightly said, the ministry would have enquired, but I just cant see Dumbledore not telling prospective candidates for the dada post, that its jinxed/cursed.
Not sure of the difference between the two, better at potions .....
secret seeker is offline   Reply With Quote