Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone

Discussions on Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone "The dog must be guarding Flamel's Philosopher's Stone ..."

Old 15-12-2004, 21:55   #1
Weasleyfanforever
TFH Graduate

Dumbledore's Watch

OK, I have wondered about this for some time, and I just decided to post it up to see if anyone has any thoughts. We are introduced to Dumbledore's unique watch in PS/SS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS/SS
Dumbledore gave a great sniff as he took a golden watch from his pocket and examined it. It was a very odd watch. It had twelve hands but no numbers; instead, little planets were moving around the edge.
It is mentioned again in OotP, after Dumbledore begins talking to Fudge:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OotP
Dumbledore pulled a watch with twelve hands from his pocket and surveyed it'
Could there be something special about this watch, and if so, what is it? We know that Molly Weasley has the special clock in her kitchen, and I was wondering if this could be similar to hers?
Old 16-12-2004, 12:54   #2
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Re: Dumbledore's Watch

OohhHh that is interesting!!
Number 12 again I see as well ....

OK, anyone here the saying 'Time and space matter in magic Potter' ....
We have a clock with little planets ...
We know that the centaurs use the stars to gauge the future ...

Wondering - just wondering - could this be an elaborate timeturner?
I know it goes against all I have said ... but it does seem rather unusal ...
I wonder if the 12 hands are fixed on certain times, periods or events?

I need to think on - but I am loving this!
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2004, 15:16   #3
MissWhizbee
Mature Graduates

So I just read the Golden Compass, by Pullman, and in this book there is a device that seems very similar to DD's watch (infact, DD watch was the very first thing that came to mind when this device was described in the book). This device tells the truth when asked a question, I wonder if DD's watch isn't something similar. I don't know much about astrology or fortune telling but perhaps by the placement of the planets in relation to the dials he is able to discern some sort of truth from the situation that is happening at the moment or maybe he thinks of a question and then the hands of the watch respond to his thoughts and the planets align to give him a cosmic answer.

Thats my best guess
Old 16-12-2004, 21:32   #4
Weasleyfanforever
TFH Graduate

I am really liking that it has something to do with travelling and time. I am not sure what it is about this watch, but it is so far from the ordinary, and there is only one other clock that is mentioned that is really odd, and that is the Weasley Clock. I am wondering if this one sort of works in a similar fashion, perhaps giving Dumbledore clues to where people are, and if they are in danger.... Really out there, but I don't know....
Old 17-12-2004, 12:13   #5
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Yah, I can see the point you are making with regards to the Weasley's - but I would have thought he had more than 12 people to look after being the headmaster - or perhaps it is just 12 special people he is tracking?

With regards to MW point - I wonder if that fits?
I will need to track the references and see what was going on at the time ... really I should have done that already ...

I think the fact is was mentioned twice - references 12 and is time related - defo worth more investigating

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 17-12-2004, 14:26   #6
Nagini
Time Turners

Oooh nice observation Weezy!

Do you know what this reminds me of? JK Rowling's site where she has the watch. You cant click on the watch and I wondered why it was there. But if you wait a while a wind comes and the hands change. The hand goes round faster and the numbers disapear to be replaced by circles - or at least it looks like circles. Some are bigger than others - do you think they could be planets?

Perhaps this is JKR's way of making a reference to time travel?
Old 18-12-2004, 04:26   #7
Tinkerbell
Graduating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagini
Oooh nice observation Weezy!

Do you know what this reminds me of? JK Rowling's site where she has the watch. You cant click on the watch and I wondered why it was there. But if you wait a while a wind comes and the hands change. The hand goes round faster and the numbers disapear to be replaced by circles - or at least it looks like circles. Some are bigger than others - do you think they could be planets?

Perhaps this is JKR's way of making a reference to time travel?

Wow, I have never noticed this before Gini! Good eyes you have there mate!

I also wonder whether this watch has anything to do with the fact that Dumbledore seems to know everything that is going on in Hogwarts - maybe it is a little like a CCTV camera and he can tune into anywhere in the castle and watch what is going on!!

Growing older is mandatory...Growing up is optional... laughing at yourself is therapeutic... laughing with others is fun!!
Tinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2004, 08:13   #8
Boing
Pops in randomly

MissWhizbee - another good thought. This does seem to be close to the alethiometer in Pullman's books. Hmmmm. I think that even if it is not exactly a "truth teller" that it could definitely be a way to tell what is going on with regard to the planets and their alignment. The twelve hands are interesting and perhaps point to the different relationships between the planets and that gives Dumbledore some indication of what to expect next or what people's emotions will be like at that moment.

The time travel theory is interesting, but I'm just not sure why he would consult the watch if it just had specific events that he could travel to . . . unless it's sort of a watch of the timeline of Voldemort's downfall.

Now this is kind of silly, but that made me think of Back to the Future (the movie) where the picture of the kids starts to fade and the kids disappear because the future isn't turning out the right way, but then when the parents kiss at the dance, everything comes back into focus . . . wacky here, but what if the watch is similar? As I said above, what if it is a timeline of Voldemort's downfall and Dumbledore is checking it to make sure that events are unfolding as they are supposed to in order for Voldemort to be defeated in the future . . . perhaps there are twelve key events that need to take place to set the stage correctly .. .

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2004, 13:56   #9
Alz
Head Unspeakable

As far as time - I think they are checkpoints of when and where Dumbledore messed with time - by recording and monitoring the events - he can ensure he is on the right track ...
There might be 12 events in the timelines that required Dumbledore to make changes - as he keeps moving backwards and forwards - he uses the watch to make sure a change he makes doesnt impact another event - if that makes sense?

Gini - where is that watch?
The only one I have ever seen is the one on the front page and it shows the correct time - as in the hands move first off to adjust to your local time ...
I need to go investigate that some more - so where is it please!

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 18-12-2004, 14:00   #10
Nagini
Time Turners

I like that idea that Dumbledore has 12 check points in time he has to make for everything to run as he plans.

The watch is am referring to is indeed the watch on the front page Blaise - if you go to the site, wait a while, you get music too. Then a wind blows, the watch glows then the face changes - once the wind has gone, it goes back to normal. Check it out and let me know what you think the circles could be.