Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone

Discussions on Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone "The dog must be guarding Flamel's Philosopher's Stone ..."

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 16-10-2005, 06:38   #1
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

Centaurs Prediction

This was brought up on another forum i chat in (not a harry potter one though, so the answers aren't satisfactory).

is it possible that the warning Firenze gave 'The planets have been read wrongly before now, even by centaurs. I hope this is one of those times.' was referring to Voldemort being in the school, or looking into the future to the final battle?
We know they are secretive, but it is just silly for the centaurs to be wrong so soon...i mean, i like to think they have seen past Harry's successful escapes over the 6 years, to the final battle, where Firenze hopes they have read the planets wrong...
Old 17-10-2005, 07:58   #2
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Re: Centaurs Prediction

Actually the way I see that part - it seemed a little eerie ...
I wonder if perhaps that the centaurs have seen Potter die - It just seems to fit in with the tone of the conversation.
Of course - we could perhaps point towards the death of Dumbledore and them seeing it - but I think it would be more exciting as far as a story that what they are fearing was the fate of the person stood in front of them.
There is much debate on Harry's fate and this really isnt a topic I want to extend to in here ... but I feel it was loaded by JKR.
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2005, 06:15   #3
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

I think you are right not to go into Harry's fate here, but lets face it, he either lives or dies

what i want to understand, is whether the centaurs had looked further into the future than we were led to believe. I haven't got HBP here with me to check what Firenze has to say in it, but i like to think that Harry is going to prove them wrong, by surviving the final fight.
Old 19-10-2005, 06:22   #4
Alz
Head Unspeakable

The centaurs seem to want to live in solitude.
Experience has probably shown them that the Wizarding world isnt trustworthy and as such they choose to live out there exisitance away from it all.
This doubt could also come from what they have observed in the stars.
It interested me when in OoTP there was that fountain that had the likes of a centau, house elf etc looking up at Wizarding folk - we know now the House Elfs are - I wonder if at the same time the Wizarding world did something to the centaurs - once again I am drifting.
I think there is something that the centaurs can read in the stars - not that I agree with it IRL - but for the matter of the books they seem to take something from their observations and Dumbledore seems to trust Firenze enough to have him teach Divination.
I think it is very possible and also probable that the Centaurs feel they have seen what will happen in the future with the wizarding world and decided not to intervene - otherwise they might get pulled into it.
Alas - it is a poor call on their behalf - because at some point Voldemort and his supporters are bound to come calling.

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 08-11-2005, 14:31   #5
Padma Patil
Dumbledore's Girl

Hmm, I think that was a little 'Look at this, this says something about the 7th book' clue from JKR.

It either means that the Firenze is wrong and the centaurs were not proven wrong yet, just that Harry will die in the 7th book. Or it means just what was said, the centaurs were wrong about Harry's death the first time and so there is doubt to what they say.

Okay, does that make any sence to anybody else but me?

"Look . . . at . . . me. . . ." he whispered.
- Severus Snape
DH pg. 658 Ch. 32 (US edition)
Padma Patil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 12:38   #6
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Well the centaurs live by the stars - that means they invest a lot of faith in them.
This would suggest there is something to it - but then again if you read horoscopes there is one person who that info applies to - it's a case of numbers and odd's.
But still I am a little more inclind to belive that the centaurs have faith in this star gazing based on their correct readings.
When I first read PS/SS, the centaurs discussion stood out at me even back then - there is something they are seeing that they felt should not be shared!

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 15-11-2005, 20:56   #7
HeleneB
TFH Graduate

I am in the process of reading the series again. Good old HBP has changed how I view the entire series! I've been curious about the significance of the things the centaurs have said. I think they are going to play a big part in Book 7.

Why are we given little reminders of the the centaurs? This following excerpt is from PoA, p. 265 (U.S. paperback version) and seems to come out of no where and go no where--so why put it in?
Quote:
He had a very strange dream. He was walking through a forest, his Firebolt over his shoulder, following something silvery-white. It was winding its way through the trees ahead, and he could only catch glimpses of it between the leaves. Anxious to catch up with it, he sped up, but as he moved faster, so did his quarry. Harry broke into a run, and ahead he heard hooves gathering speed. Now he was running flat out, and ahead he could hear galloping. Then he turned a corner into a clearing and --
And of course Harry wakes up when Ron yells after Sirius attacks.
HeleneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2005, 14:19   #8
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Silvery white screams to me memories - as in pensive memories ...
They are always described in that manner.
Maybe we will see someone produce a memory that leads to the centaurs - something that might help Harry?
I still think the centaurs are niave to think Voldemort wont come after them and that maybe they still have a bigger part in this series - notice JKR kept Firenze at Hogwarts in HBP ... a great link into the thinking and mindset of the centaurs ... and their star gazing!

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 16-11-2005, 16:14   #9
HeleneB
TFH Graduate

Yes, and I'm looking especially for a reference I remember where Firenze (I think) said that you can't trust the readings. Everyone is putting so much stock in how the prophecy MUST be fulfilled. I don't think it does. Harry must play along to a certain extent because LV believes in the prophecy and won't let Harry alone. But I believe (hope!) that in the end Harry will do something other than fulfill the prophecy as it is written.
Old 02-01-2006, 13:45   #10
HeleneB
TFH Graduate

OotP, p. 604, U.S. Hardback Version
Quote:
Frienze told them . . . that it was foolish to put much faith in such things anyway, because even centaurs sometimes read them wrongly . . . to impress upon them that nothing, not even centaur's knowledge, was foolproof.
I think this applies to the prophecy.