Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone

Discussions on Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone "The dog must be guarding Flamel's Philosopher's Stone ..."

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 24-01-2006, 23:36   #41
HeleneB
TFH Graduate

Re: Centaurs Prediction

I noticed this yesterday and found it striking:

PoA, p. 426 (U.S. paperback version)
Quote:
. . . Hasn't your experience with the Time-Turner taught you anything, Harry? The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed . . ."
HeleneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2006, 12:33   #42
Alz
Head Unspeakable

That is like a perfect quotes isnt it - it really does show what we are suggesting.
Because the future is so diverse and complicated and can also be affected by change - would the prophecy taken all that into account?
I dont think so ... and in that weakness is the centaurs strength - they are always looking at the stars and as small things are changed - they will see the impact on the future.
Of course - this could also explain Dumbledore's watch - he could be going backwards and forwards with the future observing how the small changes he is making is changing the future ... that is highly speculative
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2006, 20:55   #43
HeleneB
TFH Graduate

It's like the prophecy was a snapshot in time--what might have happened at that time. And if the first part of the prophecy actually was fulfilled in GH, it wouldn't have had that much time to be impacted, whereas the other part about "one cannot live while the other survives" has had lots of time to be complicated.
Old 26-01-2006, 12:49   #44
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Of course - another way to look at that - Dumbledore could do little the night of the attack as he wasnt fully aware - ergo first part or prophecy plays out - but now he knows it has begun and is being played out, he can change things and hopefully will make things very complicated!
Would fit is as well no - 2 parts to that prophecy, one part happens that means the prophecy was real - second part can be changed with a little manipulation.
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2006, 13:00   #45
HeleneB
TFH Graduate

How did DD know so much about what happened at GH? Since it was Halloween and he should have been at the feast, some have suggested perhaps there was a headmaster/mistress portrait at the Potter house, and he found out that way. The portrait could have described what happened. There's also the possibility that DD timed it back and saw what happened--he couldn't change it, but he saw what happened. There also seems to be a bit of time lag between when it happened and Harry was brought to the Dursleys. Hagrid said he took Harry from the house.

Could the prophecy reference about "vanquish" happen more than once?
Old 26-01-2006, 13:55   #46
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

The prophecy can be manipulated all they want, now that Voldemort set it in motion. The prophecy doesn't say who wins, or how they battler. Once Voldemort chose Harry, the rest was left for Dumbledore to set up., to give Harry the best possible chance of making it to the age where he could go up against Voldemort.
The centaur's prediction works much in the same way.
This is what they have seen-but nothing is set in stone. At any point, something can happen to alter the course, but perhaps at the moment, while Harry still doesn't truly understand what it is he has inside him, what they see is not a good outcome.
Old 26-01-2006, 13:58   #47
HeleneB
TFH Graduate

Something that strikes me every time I read it is in GoF, when Krum gets the Snitch--to end the game on his terms. I hope the future seen by the Centaurs includes Harry having the chance to take the game to LV's turf (so to speak) and end this on his (Harry's) terms. Thinking back on Firenze's support, I think perhaps it may.