Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone

Discussions on Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone "The dog must be guarding Flamel's Philosopher's Stone ..."

Old 15-06-2006, 00:35   #1
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

Re: Did rowling make a mistake in hbp

I don't think it was specified how long Hagrid had known Quirrel. He may have started at Hogwarts late in the year, and gone to Romania during the school holidays.

However, this is just me trying to keep JKR faultless in my mind
It is quite possibly a fault in the plot, but i don't think it effects the series too much.
Old 15-06-2006, 05:43   #2
adamember
I'm a N00b

mistake in hbp linked wit this book

ok in the hbp dumbldore says to harry that they have not been able to keep the position of defence against the dark arts for more than one year, because dumbldore refused to give the position to voldemort the second time he asked. but by the way hagrid was telling harry about quirel it sounded like quirel had been teaching for more than that first year. now i may be wrong please set me straight. but wasint it when harry came to school that they could only keep the position for one year?
Old 15-06-2006, 09:43   #3
dancer2006
Hippo Lover

Re: mistake in hbp linked wit this book

Sorcerors Stone P70 soft cover After Harry asks Hagrid if Professor Querrell is always that nervous:

Quote:
"Oh, yeah. Poor bloke. Brilliant mind. He was fine while he was studyin' outta books but then he took a year off ter get some first hand experience..."
To me it sounds like either Quirrell did teach for a year but then took a year off or more likely that he was studying to teach but wanted some experience. Either way it still goes with what JK is saying in HBP. They can't keep a position for more then one year. Even if Quirrell did teach more then once, it was never for two or more years in a row. I tend to go, though, with the second thought. That he was just studying to be a teacher when he went to get his first hand experience, not that he had taught. Maybe this doesn't make much sense. It kind of works in my head but I've had a long day so...
dancer2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2006, 11:57   #4
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Actually - I'm not seeing a problem here ...
Hagrid is a bit of a drinker and it seems so was Quirrel - just because Hagrid was able to identify him and also know he was going to be next DADA teacher - dont think that meant he was before ...
JKR has gone to great lengths to show us that over the past 6 years - no DADA teacher has lasted a year - I think it is true and not an oversight ...
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2006, 12:40   #5
Seeker615
Ghosthunter

I noticed that too but I am thinking that it could be possible that Quirrel taught another subject, then went out to get some experience and came back to teach the defense class.

Either that or maybe he taught elsewhere before coming to Hogwarts. Hagrid probably knew him from the local watering holes he frequents.
Old 02-08-2006, 22:17   #6
Blanche A. McFusty
TFH Graduate

I'm thinking that the "no one has held the DADA position for more than one year" bit was still intact. After all, it wasn't Quirrell we met in the Sorcerer's Stone. That was really Quirrell/Voldemort. Voldemort could not have selected a more appropriate victim, could he? A weasel and a DADA professor. Tom Riddle must have been in his glory to be in that position!
Blanche A. McFusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:36   #7
Alz
Head Unspeakable

LOL - actually that is a good point - but shouldnt that have set the alarm bells ringing with Dumbledore - he knew the position was cursed and that no-one has lasted more than a year - so if Quirrell was the DADA the year before - the fact he came back has to scream 'interesting' - not least when wierd stuff started to happen!
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 12:02   #8
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alz
LOL - actually that is a good point - but shouldnt that have set the alarm bells ringing with Dumbledore - he knew the position was cursed and that no-one has lasted more than a year - so if Quirrell was the DADA the year before - the fact he came back has to scream 'interesting' - not least when wierd stuff started to happen!
Aha, but Alz you see, Dumbledore suspected of that position being cursed after seeing Quirrel, Lockhart, Lupin, Moody, and Umbridge depart in various reasons. He didnt suspect that at the time of Quirrel.
And My thinking is, if Voldemort has to do anything with that cursed position, as DD suspects, Voldemort certainly wouldnt mind Quirrel hanging around for a few years, would he? After all, he had the benefit of sticking out of the back of Quirrel's head.

"Let me tell you the secret that had led me to my goal. My strength lies, solely in my tenacity."
-Salazar Slytherin the founder of house Slytherin

"Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which all difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air."
-Godric Gryffindor the founder of house Gryffindor

"We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge all around us. And the more we gain, the more is our desire."
-Rowena Ravenclaw the founder of house Ravenclaw
cagedcactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:03   #9
Tonks
Unspeakable

Dumbledore did say that he hasn't been able to keep a DADA teacher for longer than a year since he refused the post to Voldemort. That is definitely longer than 6 years.. and longer than Harry's been alive.

I think that when Hagrid said he was fine when he was "studyin' outta books" he meant that he was a good student.. and the experience was meant to get him ready to become a professor.

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."
- Albus Dumbledore
Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 02:15   #10
SnarkologyMajor
TFH Graduate

Re: mistake in hbp linked wit this book

First, I would like to apologize for being away so long-been in the process of moving and finalizing insurance claim (yuck )-it's good to be back! I have to agree that there is no concrete evidence pointing to Quirrell being the DADA teacher before SS/PS-and since the wizarding community is relatively small, it's highly likely that Hagrid and Quirrell could have been acquainted w/each other before Quirrell got the job. Given Dumbledore's statement on the matter of the curse, then this was a problem even when the marauder's, Lily, and Snape were at school. This certainly makes one wonder about Dumbledore's decision to hire all of the DADA teachers that we do know about-did Dumbledore just not like those that he chose? Was he suspicious of them? OR-Did he just have a way of knowing the future outcome? I'm guessing the latter..
SnarkologyMajor is offline   Reply With Quote