Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone

Discussions on Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone "The dog must be guarding Flamel's Philosopher's Stone ..."

Old 02-05-2007, 01:10   #1
happy_hannah
TFH Graduate

re-reading ps/ss part 2

okay, now for a proper post on my re-read of philosophers stone. first of all i have to mention just how much of a childrens book i found it compared to the rest, it so short! but even still it is packed with so much i never noticed.

1. I love the beginning narration 'this is where our story starts', i was so used to harry's point of view that this threw me off guard, and i wondered, is this how the book will end as well, e.g 'and here we finish our story about harry potter, the boy with the scar' -or something like that?
2. when hagrid comes he mentions two key things to harry about his history, one his parents were killed by voldemort on halloween and harry's scar is a result of a dark curse touching him which also apparently took care of the house ('pulled you out of the rubble me'self'). now i know hagrids knowledge of spells and their effects may be limited owing to his expulsion from hogwarts , but can we presume he is correct and that the avada kedavra curse blew up the house? or was it perhaps the backfire of a horcrux spell? (the killing of harry being the seventh splitting of voldemorts soul to put into an object? perhaps the locket...?)

how will the fact that his parents were killed on halloween play into DH?

3. firenze-again, i know but i am obsessed with what he tells harry in the forest, namely 'the planets have been read wrongly before now, i hope for your sake this is one of those times' (not exact words). it frustrated me to no end whether he was talking about the end of PS/SS or the end of the septology? i am inclined to hope that his 'planets have been read wrongly before...' bit is true, and hermione also says that mcgonagall told her divination is a very imprecise brand of magic. On one hand we have trewlaney who did make a real prophecy but in every other case i do not think we should trust fortune telling and planet reading too much.
4. hagrid kisses mcgonagall on the cheek at christmas lunch and she giggles , sorry i had to add this, gross!
5. there is a lot of mention of 'in years to come' and 'harry would never understand' etc, which made me think he indeed lives.
6. hagrid also says voldemort didnt have enough human left in him to die...horcrux foreshadowing!

Just general thoughts now, the forest scene where harry see's voldemort/quirrel drinking the unicorn blood, the hooded creature is described as 'crawling out of the bush towards the unicorn' that scared me so much! what a creepy image. There is also so much reference to harry comparing the wizarding world to the muggle world, he also says there were spiders in his cupboard. for some reason when i read that i envisioned a 'and harry woke up in his cupboard, it was all a dream' kind of ending, only because he was obviously treated so horribly who wouldnt want to escape it?
Old 02-05-2007, 01:49   #2
Morfin Gaunt
dumbledores army

Re: re-reading ps/ss part 2

oh no i would be completely gutted if it was all a dream its like jk admitting theres no magical word.
it would be horrible
Old 02-05-2007, 11:18   #3
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

No Joke! I think we would all be dumbfounded! Not only that but to think of this poor orphan boy who must now continue to grow up with the Dursleys, and continue staying in the cupboard (remember the Dursley's only moved him into "Dudley's second bedroom" because they were scared that they were being watched and that DD would be cross for them keeping him in the cupboard!) What a sad life for her to leave him with!!!!! (I don't think it will happen!)

Is the children's edition realy so different? I have heard both that it is exactly the same but for the cover illustration, and that it is different, more kiddish. Which is it??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH
and hermione also says that mcgonagall told her divination is a very imprecise brand of magic.
OK, just a note . . . Rowling has said that she speaks to us through Hermionie, so, that could very well be her saying that we shouldn't take too much stock in prophesy or divination. Even DD in HBP tells Harry that most prophesy's don't come true, but it is the actions taken by those who hear it and believe it that cause them to come true. That Harry could walk away and never defeat Voldemort if he so chose. But of course we know he will choose to . . . or do we?

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 19:36   #4
happy_hannah
TFH Graduate

i feel i should explain a bit more about my 'it was all a dream' theory. when i read the 'harry was used to spiders, they were always in his cupboard, and thats where he slept' line, i couldnt help but think the wizarding world is one he could create so easily, spiders (COS) and uncle vernon and dudley being the villains voldemort, draco etc. plus he lived in a cupboard for goodness sake, that explains why he is so skinny, i wouldnt be surprised if everything from his 11th birthday was a schizophrenic fantasy, screw voldemort the real villains are his so called relatives.
Old 02-05-2007, 21:58   #5
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH
screw voldemort the real villains are his so called relatives.
Agreed there too! I can see what you are saying, and yeah, wouldn't be surprised, but it would be the cruelest thing imaginable for an author to do. I grew up in some not so great circumstances, and certainly had my share of fanciful dreams. It's always hard to wake up from a wonderful dream of love, friendship, and freedom to find your old friend despair is still there to greet you. Maybe why I like HP so much . . . I know I wished many a time that I could be taken far away to a magical world . . . but my salvation came through faith instead of a 9 foot tall teddy bear!

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote