Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone

Discussions on Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone "The dog must be guarding Flamel's Philosopher's Stone ..."

Old 18-12-2004, 13:05   #1
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Question The wand chooses the Wizard ...

This is more of a question - but we had the famous line from Ollivander that the wand chooses the wizard ...
We also know that in Harry and Voldemort's case they share the same type ... we also know the effect when the brother wands meet each other ...

The question is this - did the same wand as Voldemort choose Harry because it sensed Voldemort in him?
We are told that Voldemort transferred some of his powers to Harry that night - as well as some other things - could it be that the wand had the same issues as the Sorting Hat - and sensing Voldemort in Harry?
Could it be that Harry isnt using what is his best wand because of this?
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2004, 13:08   #2
Boing
Pops in randomly

Re: The wand chooses the Wizard ...

I guess I kind of got the impression from that line that the wand would only "perform" for the right wizard. The other wands either didn't do much of anything when Harry waved them or were crazy with the results. I think that what is meant by that is that only the correct person will be able to harness the power of the wand and use it correctly.

In that sense, I don't think Harry has the wrong wand because he has some of Voldemort in him. I think he has the wand that is most powerful for him, one that he can control, and one that "listens" to him in return.

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2004, 13:19   #3
Nagini
Time Turners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise
This is more of a question - but we had the famous line from Ollivander that the wand chooses the wizard ...
We also know that in Harry and Voldemort's case they share the same type ... we also know the effect when the brother wands meet each other ...

The question is this - did the same wand as Voldemort choose Harry because it sensed Voldemort in him?
We are told that Voldemort transferred some of his powers to Harry that night - as well as some other things - could it be that the wand had the same issues as the Sorting Hat - and sensing Voldemort in Harry?
Could it be that Harry isnt using what is his best wand because of this?
In relation to another thread, Harry could have been handed that wand because Ollivander knew or suspected that it would sense Voldemort in Harry. Although Harry does not seem to sense anything bad about his wand, and is indeed quite fond of it and he also in the books tried out several wands before that wand chose him so perhaps I am barking up the wrong tree there.

What is also interesting about this is how Dumbledore comes into play again. The pheonix tail feathers in both wands come from his pheonix. I cannot help thinking that he is mixed up in this somewhere too.
Old 18-12-2004, 14:20   #4
Alz
Head Unspeakable

I think the film best captures what happens when a person gets the wrong wand - so I have to say that in order to perform magic properly - especially at that age of youth - the wand has to match ... in this case is the wand chosen in Harry's case because of him or it is the brother core seeing Voldemort and his initial selection of that wand?
Gini makes a good point - I wonder if fawkes/Dumbledore had any imput into this?

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 19-12-2004, 20:44   #5
Rooster
Lurkers

Harry so far has been able to do some pretty powerful magic for the age he is - Most notably the Patronus which we have learned some adult wizards cannot even perform. I think that the wand he received was intended for him - Otherwise I doubt he would have been able to do some of the things he does.
Old 20-12-2004, 13:25   #6
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Yah but see - is the wand channeling his side or the side imposed by Voldemort?
I think that the hat was seeing Voldemort in him - and just wonder if the same with the wand?

Granted he can do some great stuff - but is that actually him or is it the impression left by Voldemort?
This could go some way to explain Harry's ultimate fate - as in if the wand is channelling the Voldemort touch ... once Voldemort is gone from Harry, his head and life ... where would that leave him?

Just the brother cores and stuff ... just seems a really nice twist in my head

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 20-12-2004, 15:53   #7
MissWhizbee
Mature Graduates

I have never really thought that the sorting hat saw Voldemort's traits in Harry, (they may have been similar traits to those Voldemort had, the thirst to prove ones self, smarts, bravery, but I don't think they were inherently Voldemort's traits alone). It seems that the sorting hat would have probably scene those same traits in Tom Riddle but they would have been self serving, whereas Harry's aspirations were humble in wanting to live up to everything everyone thought he was.

Maybe in the same way the wands could sense a love of the pheonix inside both Harry and Voldemort. Voldemort would love the bird because it represents eternal life (dying and being born again from its ashes). Harry loves the pheonix because it is a gentle animal, can heal, prizes loyalty, can carry a heavy burden, and its song is reassuring to him.

So maybe the similarities in Voldemort and Harry are really at opposition to each other and although both the wands and the sorting hat could see their similarities they also saw the differences that make them unique and as different from each other as they could possibly be. And so it wasn't just because Harry was similar to Voldemort but also because he was so far different from him that the wand with the pheonix feather core chose him and why he was put into Gryffindor instead of Slytherin.
Old 21-12-2004, 12:35   #8
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Personally I dont think Riddles obsession with death happened until he found out his mortaility was in question ....
But on the other hand - what if it runs deeper?
We know he lost his Mum during his birth - perhaps that made him want to live forever?

I agree it is all about choices - and indeed Voldemort's and Harry's paths seem vastly different ... but I really think the Hat was seeing Voldemort via Harry ... the spirit of Voldemort still had a profound effect on Harry even at that stage ...
It just seems to work in my head the similarities that JKR plays out between them - I used to think they would turn out to be related but JKR killed that at world book day chat ...
So I have been looking at other ways they could be linked ... and we know the scar is useful for that ... so I wonder if anyone looks into Harry's head they are seeing the full Harry and not a clouded Harry mixed with Voldemort's passed powers and mental link ...

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 23-12-2004, 11:51   #9
Tinkerbell
Graduating

I don't know if this is going on track a tad, but after reading the other posts here, and particularly Blaise's point about perhaps Harry doesn't have the right wand for him - what if in either HBP or Book 7 Harry gets another wand? Perhaps then the brother wand effect would not 'protect' Voldemort then, and Harry would be able to vanquish him?

Growing older is mandatory...Growing up is optional... laughing at yourself is therapeutic... laughing with others is fun!!
Tinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2004, 17:13   #10
Weasleyfanforever
TFH Graduate

I think that's a good idea Tink. It would certainly get rid of the not being able to defeat him with magic thing. I wonder if maybe Harry would get a new wand and Voldemort wouldn't know about it, so he would be wary to fight him using magic because of what happened the last time...