Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone

Discussions on Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone "The dog must be guarding Flamel's Philosopher's Stone ..."

Old 06-02-2005, 14:33   #21
yarvelling
TFH Graduate

Re: The wand chooses the Wizard ...

I'm not sure...I like that idea, but I 'feel' that the bond between the wands and their respective owners is more important than has so far been suggested; it was significant enough to make a 'bit of a big deal' out of it in both book and film, and as Ollivander said, "we can expect great things"....I don't think this has yet happened; the wand may even become the pivotal point to the whole story as it is so deeply linked to Harry and Voldemort!
Old 06-02-2005, 15:18   #22
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Well see - this might be a little off-topic - but some of us have questioned Ollivander's motivations and just say for a second he is a little shady and leans a little towards the dark side - he would be pleased that young Potter took the brother wand because he might have expected the kind of Priori Incantem moment we saw in GoF ... just a thought again
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 02:04   #23
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

I think Harry has a bit of Voldemort in him, the magical aspects he got the night Voldemort attacked him, but I think the connection to the wands is all phoenix. Fawkes is Dumbledore's pet, and I believe the bird comes with the job of headmaster. As for the Sorting Hat - it saw in Harry the power and determination to match and defeat Voldemort, not specifically a part of Voldemort.

The connection of wand cores makes sense.

1. Dumbledore owns Fawkes and his Patronus is a phoenix.
2. Dumbledore is Tom/Voldemort's prior headmaster and the only one You-Know- Who ever feared and he is Harry's current headmaster and mentor.
3. Voldemort and Harry's wand cores come from a single feather from Fawkes tail, obviously, a very powerful magical substance.
4. In the Chamber of Secrets, Tom/Voldemort recalls too late, the legend of the phoenix as Fawkes tears heal Harry's wound from the basilisk, saving Harry's life.
5. The phoenix song gives Harry courage allowing him to do more and go on when his strength runs low, not only in the chamber, but also in the graveyard with Voldemort. The phoenix song emanates from the web of lights and gives Harry the courage and strength to hold his wand and force the bead of light toward Voldemort.
6. After the Triwizard Tournament, just the simple noise Fawkes makes as he sits on Harry's knee gives Harry the courage to tell his story to Dumbledore and Sirius.

There are many phoenix legends in print, and all of them indicate that there can only be one bird alive on earth at a time - some say the bird lives a hundred years before it ignites and others say eight hundred to twelve hundred. I've read several over the years and none of them are the same. That is why, in Harry's second year, it is so amazing that Fawkes picked that exact moment when Harry walked into Dumbledore's office to burst into flames. Even if Fawkes follows a hundred year cycle, it was quite opportune for him to catch fire at that exact moment.

There seems to be a direct connection between Dumbledore, Harry and Fawkes. It could be that this is the force that will win out over Voldemort. When Harry's wand chose him that day at Ollivander's. Mr. Ollivander immediately sent Dumbledore a letter to tell him the news. It could be the wands and their connection to Fawkes and Dumbledore are key to Harry's strength in the final battle. In Ollivander's that day, he told Harry that Lily's wand was good for Charms and James's wand was good for Transfiguration, but he never told Harry what his wand was good for!?! It could be that Harry's wand is the key. It has already helped him against Voldemort once in the graveyard; it's possible it will help him again.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 02:19   #24
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

See this is another reason why I think Dumbledore is definately up to something and knows more than we thought possible.
*What if* he KNEW way before Riddle became Voldemort, that it was going to happen? *what if* he had those two wands made, knowing they would one day face each other?
Yes, the wand chooses the wizard, but there isn't just one wand made per wizard or else they couldn't get a new one!
Is it just a coincidence that the bird that gave his feathers for the wands, is 'owned' by Dumbledore?
Old 11-04-2005, 14:49   #25
Alz
Head Unspeakable

The question I have is why does the same core wand afford one bearer more protection that the other?
What I am saying is everyone is saying that it gives Harry this and gives Harry that - but remember as far as we can see - both holders of the wands were chosen by the wands - both should offer the same protection and indeed both are using the power of the phoenix.
Interesting is what you associate with a Phoenix - and what Voldemort was ultimatly trying to achieve .... makes me think long and hard exactly how matched and what powers this wand can give to a bad magic person as well as the good
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 15:34   #26
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise
The question I have is why does the same core wand afford one bearer more protection that the other?
What I am saying is everyone is saying that it gives Harry this and gives Harry that - but remember as far as we can see - both holders of the wands were chosen by the wands - both should offer the same protection and indeed both are using the power of the phoenix.
Interesting is what you associate with a Phoenix - and what Voldemort was ultimatly trying to achieve .... makes me think long and hard exactly how matched and what powers this wand can give to a bad magic person as well as the good
We see different people using wands that were hand-me-downs. Ron used Charlie's old wand until he broke it in the Ford Anglia, and Neville used his father's old wand, who was a powerful auror, yet Neville has little talent as a wizard. In Ron's case, he got a new wand at the beginning of his third year, but we have seen no huge increase in magical talent from him. Just because they didn't hum and glow when they first touched their wand doesn't mean the wand won't work for them.

Harry is the only person we've actually witnessed testing wands to find the right one. If he would have kept trying wands, might he have found one that hummed, or shot one or two sparks out of the end instead of the light show he created with the wand he ended up buying? Maybe a few sparks is enough to indicate that the wand is compatible with the wizard, but in Harry's case, his wand was an exceptional fit.

Maybe in Voldemort's case, his wand was't quite as much of a "perfect fit" as Harryís was. It was obvious in the graveyard. Either Harry had more sense of mind, or Voldemort was too freaked out about what was happening. Harry's the one who focused his mind and made the light bead move back toward Voldemort's wand. I'd say that's pretty powerful magic for a young boy pitted agains the most powerful Dark Wizard in the world. I think the phoenix core gives Harry a slight advantage over Voldemort. Just guessing though

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Old 11-04-2005, 15:41   #27
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

I don't think Harry's wand gave him more protection, but I do think he had the right state of mind at that moment. Voldemort was thrown off by what was happening, just long enough for Harry to get the upper hand.

I think that there is more than one wand compatible for each wizard. As Fortescue said, some have used hand me downs, others have had to buy a second. I think it has all to do with the core, the wood, and the wizards time of birth etc, to find a suitable one.
Old 11-04-2005, 16:28   #28
Sir Cadogan
Noble Heart, Steely Sinew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortescue
I think the phoenix core gives Harry a slight advantage over Voldemort. Just guessing though
Well let me add another guess:

First, let's assume that the phoenix who gave the feathers is Fawkes.

Second, let's remember that Harry has established a special relationship with Fawkes in the meantime - especially visible in CoS, when Fawkes fluttered along bringing Harry the sword. The reason Dumbledore gives Harry is something like: "You must have shown particular loyalty to me, otherwise Fawkes wouldn't have done this", and it's true, Harry defended Dumbledore in Tom Riddle's face.

Third, we could as well assume (based on solid speculation) that there is some kind of link that still exists between the phoenix feathers and their owner - and that Fawkes can somehow still influence (to some degree) how well this wand works. This would mean that Harry's wand always works a little better because Fawkes likes him (because, in turn, Harry trusts and supports Dumbledore) - and that Voldemort's wand will always work less than ideally because Fawkes can somehow reduce its effect, even if only a little bit.

Oh maybe I should go to bed now - it's almost half past two in the morning here ... Night, everybody.
Old 11-04-2005, 20:58   #29
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

Sir Cadogan I believe somewhere in OotP, Dumbledore tells Harry that the feather in his wand came from Fawkes...
Old 12-04-2005, 01:39   #30
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Cadogan
Well let me add another guess:

First, let's assume that the phoenix who gave the feathers is Fawkes.

Second, let's remember that Harry has established a special relationship with Fawkes in the meantime - especially visible in CoS, when Fawkes fluttered along bringing Harry the sword. The reason Dumbledore gives Harry is something like: "You must have shown particular loyalty to me, otherwise Fawkes wouldn't have done this", and it's true, Harry defended Dumbledore in Tom Riddle's face.

Third, we could as well assume (based on solid speculation) that there is some kind of link that still exists between the phoenix feathers and their owner - and that Fawkes can somehow still influence (to some degree) how well this wand works. This would mean that Harry's wand always works a little better because Fawkes likes him (because, in turn, Harry trusts and supports Dumbledore) - and that Voldemort's wand will always work less than ideally because Fawkes can somehow reduce its effect, even if only a little bit.

Oh maybe I should go to bed now - it's almost half past two in the morning here ... Night, everybody.
As kashlie said, Dumbledore admits in GoF that the feathers used in Harry and Voldemort's wand did come from Fawkes, that's why the whole Prior Incantatem event happened. Fawkes is drawn to Harry as Harry is to Fawkes - not only did he go to Harry's aid in the chamber, but in GoF, when Sirius ushered Harry into Dumbledore's office after the graveyard scene, Fawkes immediately flew to Harry's side. I think there is a big connection between the two - and as I mentioned before, Harry draws great strength from Fawkes - unlike Tom Riddle in the chamber who called Fawkes a songbird.

Voldemort's wand gives him power as Mr. Ollivander confessed in the wand shop, but I think Harry's connection to the phoenix feather is much stronger and more direct.

Sir Cadogan I like your theory on Fawkes being able to control the power of the wands - I never thought of that, but that would definitely give Harry the advantage.

Sybil Trelawney