Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > "Divination's at the top of North Tower" > Predicating Septology

Predicating Septology Septology Predictions on the 'running' events and happenings of the whole series.

View Poll Results: We will be given the reason why Petunia despises Lily so much
Agree - this will be investigated fully 10 100.00%
Disagree - we will never really know 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2005, 15:04   #1
Tinkerbell
Graduating

Petunia and Lily's Relationship

Prediction:

Following a post in another thread, I now think that we will see more information coming forward about the relationship between Petunia and Lily, and why there appears to have been no love lost between them, despite their apparent sister relationship.

Reasoning:

Petunia was extremely scathing about Lily in PS/SS and stated quite categorically that she thought, unlike other members of the family, that Lily was a freak. Throughout the Septology we know that Petunia rarely mentions Lily, never mind any usual grieving she would have had at the beginning of PS/SS when someone discovers that their sister has been murdered.

Growing older is mandatory...Growing up is optional... laughing at yourself is therapeutic... laughing with others is fun!!
Tinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 15:25   #2
Tonks
Unspeakable

Re: Petunia and Lily's Relationship

Voted:

Agreed - but just barely...

Reasoning:

I feel that we will learn more information about the relationship between Petunia and Lily, but I do not think that it will be completely investigated and concentrated upon. I think we will learn what we need to know, but not necessarily everything...

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."
- Albus Dumbledore
Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 22:17   #3
Weasleyfanforever
TFH Graduate

Voted:

Yes

Reasoning:

I agree with Tonks a bit, that we will not really be given all information about their relationship, but what we need to know. I also think we have already been given a bit about why Petunia despised Lily so much, and that was because of her ability to do magic...
Old 07-02-2005, 12:25   #4
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Voted:

Agreed - I am with Tonky - there is a story but the full details won't be apparant

Reasoning:

There is no doubts that there is a 'painful' past these 2 shared - and we know from the 'remember my last' that Dumbledore seems to be aware as well.
I think once we find out about the last - we will quickly see more details about the 2 sisters and the decline in the relationship.
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2005, 20:40   #5
Boing
Pops in randomly

Vote: Agree (we will find out more about the reason for the bad feelings, but I don't think it will be investigated "fully."

Reason:

There's no need for a "full" investigation, but I do think it is important to the story to find out about the relationship between the sisters and why Petunia hates the magical world so well. Agree with Blaise - the "last" from Dumbledore will give us more clues . . .

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 11:53   #6
Hermione
Auror

Voted

Agreed, it will be investigated.

Reasoning

I think we will find out about "remember my last" and that will explain a lot about why Harry is given the protection of his aunt's house.

We already can look at Petunia's dialouge and draw clues from there. I think she is jealous, her sister was the "special one" the "magical one" and maybe Mum and Dad liked her better.
Old 02-03-2005, 13:29   #7
Sirius-fan-forever
TFH Graduate

Voted:
Agreed

Reasoning:

I think since we are going to learn more about Lily and Petunia...we will be shown why they never got along. I think we'll find out enough but it probably won't be covered in much detail unless their relationship plays a major role in the book.
Sirius-fan-forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 13:48   #8
Nagini
Time Turners

Voted

Yes

Reasoning

I think Harry will gain more knowledge of why Petunia hates her sister Lily so much. I just dont think it will come from Petunia herself but from a second hand source, someone who knew both sisters at that time. As for it being investigated fully, I think it will be fully explained but I am unsure whether or not it will be enough to satisfy readers.
Old 11-04-2005, 14:44   #9
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Voted:

Agreed

Reasoning:

There could be a lot of useful information yet to be revealed about Lily and Petunia. Petunia is very jealous of Lily, it's obvious by the way she speaks about her - "My dratted sister being what she was?" (SS/PS, pg 53) -- "I heard - that awful boy - telling her about them - years ago." (OotP, pg32) She can't even say her sisters name. There is definite animosity there - it could be that Lily was favored by their parents, and really, who would blame them.

There is something special about Petunia, as JKR has said. We will have to learn more information about the two in order to find out what the author means by "special." I think some of it will come out in the beginning of HBP, right before Harry is wisked away from the Dursley's. That is my prediction for the day

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote