Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussion on Deathly Hallows > Deathly Hallows Speculation

Deathly Hallows Speculation A place to get in your early predictions about what is going to be unveiled

Old 07-08-2007, 06:10   #1
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Cover Art wrong?

OK, first, I am talking about the US cover art (The UK versions are right on!)

There was so much speculation on the cover art, but after reading the book, I find that The US cover doesn't really match the story . . . What we previously thought was a collesium or possibly the Quidditch pitch, is actualy the Great Hall . . . and I can see that well enough as it was greatly damaged. But . . . Harry and Voldemort/Riddle not facing each other? And neither with a wand? Both of their hands show, and there are definately no wands drawn . . . IT just doesn't fit the story! And . . . it actualy presents a bit of a spoiler of sorts too . . . as we have seen Harry and Voldemort together in the cathedral situation on the cover, and it hadn't happened yet, couldn't we have assumed that the trip to the forest wouldn't be the end of Harry?

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:07   #2
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

Re: Cover Art wrong?

The more we look, the more we find that she really messed it all up.
I at first was surprised that Piper showed very little likeness for the book. I have begun to think down the same route. I think JKR didnt do a good job. The final statement of this being book 7, is becoming more and more lame.

"Let me tell you the secret that had led me to my goal. My strength lies, solely in my tenacity."
-Salazar Slytherin the founder of house Slytherin

"Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which all difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air."
-Godric Gryffindor the founder of house Gryffindor

"We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge all around us. And the more we gain, the more is our desire."
-Rowena Ravenclaw the founder of house Ravenclaw
cagedcactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:18   #3
Seeker615
Ghosthunter

From looking at the picture it appears that Harry is catching the wand that has been expelliarmised from Voldemort. It looks like Voldemort is trying to recover it and Harry is catching it. So that makes sense except Harry does not have his own wand.

The background itself seems wrong to me. It looks like pillars around them (unless they are windows, I think the great hall has windows) It doesn't really look like anything you could imagine the great hall would be.
Old 08-08-2007, 18:23   #4
happy_hannah
TFH Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagedcactus View Post
The more we look, the more we find that she really messed it all up.
I at first was surprised that Piper showed very little likeness for the book. I have begun to think down the same route. I think JKR didnt do a good job. The final statement of this being book 7, is becoming more and more lame.

awwww! don't think that! i for a brief moment thought the same thing, but i really think i rushed it and due to lots of speculation thought things that ended up not being true, i agree with the cover art but dont let that tarnish your view of the series, think of it more as 'i can't be disappointed in this book for being something it isn't, what i am reading is what happens and i must accept that.' also i recommend a re-read, im currently re-reading at a few chapters a night (as opposed to a few hours to finish the whole thing) and im really enjoying it more this time around, all the smaller details and humour are there like they were in previous books
Old 08-08-2007, 21:13   #5
Hoggy Warty Hogwarts
Outside Playing Quidditch

Ok i know that the Great Hall ended up short of a wreck but really i cant and didnt imagine when i was reading the book that the Great Hall looked like that (maybe if i was reading the US version i wouldve but i was reading the UK childrens version) anyway it just didnt look like the Great Hall in the picture i mean wouldnt there have been a bit more in the background to show that it was a castle like anything at all i mean it didnt have any background of any other rooms or the Entrance Hall or anything like that but maybe im wrong and thats what it was supposed to be, and in turn showing a spoiler but i thought it was something else (dont know what yet), or just was nothing in particular, or the artists interpretation of the scene in the Great Hall but i did think of this after reading the book.. i thought what was the picture about on the US version it didnt make much sense to me... because thats not at all what i pictured the Great Hall to look like in that scene anyway iv rambled enough.. sorry
Hoggy Warty Hogwarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:51   #6
Mr_Bandman
TFH Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius Potter Fan View Post
OK, first, I am talking about the US cover art (The UK versions are right on!)
Not quite....the UK children's version has a picture of Harry with an off-center scar---that was a change made for the movies that is inconsistent with the books---the scar is in the center of his forehead. That is not nearly the huge gaffe that is the US hardback cover, but it is a mistake.

I agree---the cover art is misleading at best. It seems far more specific than past dust jackets have been, and I think therein lies the mistake----if it were a bit more vague, we probably wouldn't have noticed the obvious differences between the picture and what actually transpired.
Mr_Bandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:17   #7
Piper
TFH Graduate

It appears the pillars etc, are weathered, which I guess could be chalked up to damage from fighting, but look at the shadows, people appear to be seated, watching, in stadium like seating. It looks like there is a weathered stump beside Harry's hand.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 22:43   #8
happy_hannah
TFH Graduate

in DH harry mentions that people were watching the main duels from higher seats, maybe i missed this but is that where dumbledore and the teachers ate?
Old 11-08-2007, 00:07   #9
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

i have been thinking about the cover, and wondering whether it was the artists impression of several incidents throughout the book.
or perhaps he/she was given a short synopsis of events, and was to illustrate an overall picture?
breaking down the cover, i think it demonstrates the struggle or effort that Voldemort and Harry have finding the horcruxes and wand. it may impress that it all comes down to Harry and Voldemort by having the other figures as shadows in the background.
i don't think the cover was meant to be translated literally, as in, Harry and Voldemort reaching for the same 'thing' in a derelict arena, but rather, reaching for similar goals in a world devastated by evil. or something like that.
Old 12-08-2007, 00:15   #10
Snuffles
the keepr of the Veil

these comments are surprising. I think the cover art captured the scene pretty well, albeit the Harry-having-no-wand thing. The Great Hall was pretty much how I had imagined it; huge pillars, round domed roof that takes on the appearacne of the sky outside. shame it made everyone in the background look like Death Eaters though--all shadowy, which is why I first thought (before i read the book) that there will be another scene like at the end of GoF, beside the graveyard: Voldemort vs. Harry, with death eaters all around.
"Saintlike," he murmured.
"What's wrong with him? croaked Fred, looking terrified. "Is his mind affected?"
"Saintlike," repeated George, opening his eyes and looking up at his brother. "You see...I'm holy. Holey, Fred, geddit?"
"Pathetic," he told George. "Pathetic! With the whole wide world of ear-related humor before you, you go for holey!"

"NOT MY DAUGTER, YOU B****!" -Mrs. Weasely

We did it, we bashed them, wee Potter's the one,
And Voldy's gone moldy, so now let's have fun!
"Really gives a feeling for the scope and tragedy of the thing, doesn't it?" said Ron.
Snuffles is offline   Reply With Quote