Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Character Discussion > Discussions on Muggles, magical creatures and everything else ..

Discussions on Muggles, magical creatures and everything else .. "Them! Don' listen properly, do they? Don' look properly either."

Old 01-02-2007, 07:57   #41
Arwan
TFH Graduate

Re: Magic Late in Life

JKR has said that neither Petunia or Dudley will do magic late in life. That leaves us with very few Muggles left. She has also said that no new characters will be introduced in book 7. So this only leaves Vernon! Is it possible that somewhere in his family there is a witch or wizard that he too is pretending to not have. He did seem to know the Hogwarts logo, without asking Petunia what it was. Could it be Deatheaters will show up and in his effort to protect his family will do magic?
Arwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 17:02   #42
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate

There is more than one category of "non-magical" people. There are Muggles, Squibs and Witches/Wizards who have lost their magical powers because of some traumatic incident.
I do not think that JKR would mislead us in terms of Petunia and Dudders. Uncle vernon seems, on the face of it, an unlikely candidate although some of the views of his sister Marge are very similar to to the worst of Voldemort's followers, "bad blood" etc.

My immediate guess is Mrs. Figg for the simple reason that she has had continued and significant contact with the magical community, that she has had had a continued role in the protection of Harry, that she appears to have accepted that she is a squib, in contrast to Filch who has tried to overcome this problem.

When I think about Madam Pomfrey I cannot remember any magic that she has performed. She has used potions and unctions created by other Witches/Wizards but nothing specifically magical instigated by herself. Dumbledore always preferred to be taken to Snape.

The other significant figure that I have just thought of, and I now take back what I said about Mrs. Figg, is that old fraud Sibill Trelawney, who, as far as I recollect, has never performed any magic in her life.

Thoughts?
There was -- and then no more of Thee and Me.

It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.

Last edited by Glumbumble; 02-02-2007 at 06:34..
Glumbumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:58   #43
Mr_Bandman
TFH Graduate

Whoa---hold on there----Sybill Trelawny may not be able to read tea leaves or crystal balls, but we have seen her prophesy, even if she was completely unaware of it at the time. I think that we've not seen her whipping her wand around changing rabbits into flower pots or disapperating is simply because that part of her character is really not relevant.
Mr_Bandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:04   #44
Mr_Bandman
TFH Graduate

On the Leaky Cauldron website, they held an online chat with JKR. Someone asked the question of who it was who performed magic late in life---Her reply was that She was sorry, but She had changed her mind on that idea.

So much for our clinging to Her every utterance as if it were gospel....
Mr_Bandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 17:40   #45
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

I know how you feel MB . . . there were actualy many things she changed her mind on, left out all together. I'm still satisfied with the book, but I feel that we were a bit cheated, that she just wanted to finish it off and be done with it.

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:45   #46
Piper
TFH Graduate

I read an opinion that has softened me a little on it all, a man was saying that books 1-6 were a labor of love for her, they were fun to write, but book 7 was the end, and that alone was enough to have made it pure work alone to write. And from her interviews after HBP, I could tell that she was needing a break, with a new baby, 2 years were not enough for her to really do this and do everything right either. She felt pushed and pressured. Everyone grumbled and groaned about it taking the 2 years. (I feel guilty for that).
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:32   #47
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
I read an opinion that has softened me a little on it all, a man was saying that books 1-6 were a labor of love for her, they were fun to write, but book 7 was the end, and that alone was enough to have made it pure work alone to write. And from her interviews after HBP, I could tell that she was needing a break, with a new baby, 2 years were not enough for her to really do this and do everything right either. She felt pushed and pressured. Everyone grumbled and groaned about it taking the 2 years. (I feel guilty for that).
Piper, I agree word to word.
But then you have to also account the amount of money she hauls in by writing these books. This sort of stress and rush and push come with the money.
Same thing goes for the chairmen, CEOs and Presidents and Prime ministers. The fame aint cheap.....
I would not think twice if I was offered the same stress, push, shove and rush with the amount of gold she got in her account. In fact I can take even more.... maybe even Crucio.......
So my suggestion. Dont feel guilty. You and me both have contributed to that amount of gold.
We have rights to complaint........ all we want.....

"Let me tell you the secret that had led me to my goal. My strength lies, solely in my tenacity."
-Salazar Slytherin the founder of house Slytherin

"Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which all difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air."
-Godric Gryffindor the founder of house Gryffindor

"We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge all around us. And the more we gain, the more is our desire."
-Rowena Ravenclaw the founder of house Ravenclaw

Last edited by cagedcactus; 03-08-2007 at 12:34..
cagedcactus is offline   Reply With Quote