Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Welcome to The Final Horcrux > All the information you need about The Final Horcrux

All the information you need about The Final Horcrux "Whoever's nearest the receiver, dial six two four four two!"

Old 24-09-2006, 05:00   #1
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Exclamation Major Forum Software Upgrade

Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know that I have now completed the major software upgrade to the site.
Apart from a couple of cosmetic issues, the site is fully working!

The makers of the forum software introduce updates to the software regularly in order to keep it secure. Occasionally they also do full version upgrades that introduce new functionality as well as address on-going issues.
The latest update was a full version, major upgrade that required every file, template and even the skin be upgraded.
Thanks to Sir for coding the new skin version!

There was a lot of new features added to the 'back end' Admin systems as well as a few new features for you all to play with ... a couple noted below!

- Multiquote
You can now quote multiple posts by using the 'multi' button.
If you click on it - it will activate and the left corner will change from grey to purple.
Once you select the multiple posts you wish to quote - click the reply button on the bottom left hand side of the thread - you will then see all the threads you wanted to quote!

- Quote Tags Link to Quoted Post
Now if you quote a post - it will include a link back to the quoted post - that can be handy if you are quoting back from a post on a different page!

- Mark Forum Read
You can now double click on a forum icon and mark the forum read

- Private Message Preview in Notification Emails
If you have selected to receive an email each time you get a PM - the email will contain a preview of the message

- Unique Unsubscribe Link in Emails
If you wish to cancel a subscribed thread, the email message will now contain a link to do just this

- Default Thread Sorting Option per Forum
You can now sort the forums via a few different ways including number of replies, thread starter, last post time etc

OK - there are a lot of changes but I doubt most of you will be able to tell!

As part of the upgrade system I also had to update the forum and post counts - this will mean that some of you may notice a reduction in your post count if any of your posts or threads have been deleted in the past - apologies but it was required!

Basically, I have tested the site as best I can and am now ready to re-open it.
If you could all please keep me informed of any issues or problems you experience over the coming days to help me try and locate any post upgrade blues!

Thanks in advance for your patience and understanding and also for your continued support of The Final Horcrux!

Alz
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 04:40   #2
Ana C.B.Rodrigues
Day dreamer

Re: Major Forum Software Upgrade

Well Congratulations for the hard work you're having for us. I know it must tak a lot of time to keep all thiis working Thanks Alz
Old 01-10-2006, 02:25   #3
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Re: Major Forum Software Upgrade

Thanks Ana - it can be time consuming during upgrades but generally if all goes well then it isnt so bad ... tempting fate and all I know!

Things seem pretty stable over the past week and not many issues I can find so I think it all went well!
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote