Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Half-Blood Prince > HBP Character Discussion

HBP Character Discussion Any facts or details from HBP on new and old characters

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 31-08-2006, 11:28   #41
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Re: Slytherin's Locket

I did think the necklace was the locket - but apparently was educated that a necklace is like a set of links etc - a locket is a necklace with a pendant kind of thing - I know it can mean just the case kind of thing but I am lead to believe via discussion it will be attached to a necklace - I suppose logically that also makes sense ... I mean someone wearing a the locket on a chain would be less conspicuous than the locket on it's own ...?
I think RAB was very clever to ensure his fake replicated what he stole just in case Voldemort didnt fancy drinking the potion and looking in there instead ... see what I mean?
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2006, 17:51   #42
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alz
I did think the necklace was the locket - but apparently was educated that a necklace is like a set of links etc - a locket is a necklace with a pendant kind of thing - I know it can mean just the case kind of thing but I am lead to believe via discussion it will be attached to a necklace - I suppose logically that also makes sense ... I mean someone wearing a the locket on a chain would be less conspicuous than the locket on it's own ...?
I think RAB was very clever to ensure his fake replicated what he stole just in case Voldemort didnt fancy drinking the potion and looking in there instead ... see what I mean?
I posted it in another thread. How informed RAB have to be? Not only he knew about the Horcrux and it's location, he also knew what it was. He also knew what exactly he wanted to do with fake horcrux.
I kept thinking that Dumbledore was cooking a bigger soup than was shown to us. But recently JKR killed that option by saying DD is done.
Oh well, lets keep predicting what is going to happen, regardless.

"Let me tell you the secret that had led me to my goal. My strength lies, solely in my tenacity."
-Salazar Slytherin the founder of house Slytherin

"Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which all difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air."
-Godric Gryffindor the founder of house Gryffindor

"We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge all around us. And the more we gain, the more is our desire."
-Rowena Ravenclaw the founder of house Ravenclaw
cagedcactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:36   #43
Alz
Head Unspeakable

RAB was unique in how much detail he had on horcruxes and also for keeping it very well concealed!
He really was putting his butt out there - I mean at this time Voldemort's horcruxes would have been somewhat fresh ...
What surprised me is that Voldemort didn't go visit his horcruxes before the fateful night - you know, one last check all is in place ... evidently his arrogance didn't afford him this last check otherwise I am sure he would have worked out something wasn't right ...
But as for RAB - could someone as understated as Regulus be the mighty RAB - on paper I would certainly argue ...
If the locket is that of the one Ginny came across in OoTP - I really hope we get a glimmer into what made this young guy probably the most intelligent wizard of the time ... I mean, the complexity of working out horcruxes and the likes ...

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 05-09-2006, 04:45   #44
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alz
RAB was unique in how much detail he had on horcruxes and also for keeping it very well concealed!
He really was putting his butt out there - I mean at this time Voldemort's horcruxes would have been somewhat fresh ...
What surprised me is that Voldemort didn't go visit his horcruxes before the fateful night - you know, one last check all is in place ... evidently his arrogance didn't afford him this last check otherwise I am sure he would have worked out something wasn't right ...
But as for RAB - could someone as understated as Regulus be the mighty RAB - on paper I would certainly argue ...
If the locket is that of the one Ginny came across in OoTP - I really hope we get a glimmer into what made this young guy probably the most intelligent wizard of the time ... I mean, the complexity of working out horcruxes and the likes ...
I agree.
You see, when that locket is mentioned in OoTP, I begin to wonder. RAB would have to be killed or upto something. If RAB is that Stubby, why hasnt he tried to get back to Grimmauld place to retrive and destroy that Horcrux?
Maybe, he just wants to ignore the Wizard world !!!!
Maybe, he got tired of playing with, and then against Voldemort !!!
Maybe after his death was declared, he just wanted to take advantage and live a life of an outcast.
I think a little twist in story with Harry convincing RAB to come back would be good too.

"Let me tell you the secret that had led me to my goal. My strength lies, solely in my tenacity."

"Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which all difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air."

"We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge all around us. And the more we gain, the more is our desire."
Old 10-09-2006, 20:45   #45
Alz
Head Unspeakable

What makes me wonder here is if RAB actually had it to conceal - and after going to the trouble of getting it why didnt he destroy it straight away.
I mean, we have to assume Voldemort had no idea RAB took the horcrux - so means he was killed between getting the horcrux and then dissapearing ...
Now common sense kicks in here and thinks, why hide it versus destroying it straight away - all he did was aid Voldemort.
He went to the trouble of getting it - so I wonder if he hasnt already destroyed it .. i mean why conceal it?

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 15-09-2006, 11:34   #46
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alz
What makes me wonder here is if RAB actually had it to conceal - and after going to the trouble of getting it why didnt he destroy it straight away.
I mean, we have to assume Voldemort had no idea RAB took the horcrux - so means he was killed between getting the horcrux and then dissapearing ...
Now common sense kicks in here and thinks, why hide it versus destroying it straight away - all he did was aid Voldemort.
He went to the trouble of getting it - so I wonder if he hasnt already destroyed it .. i mean why conceal it?
Well, that is a good point.
The only logical conclusion to that question is, RAB probably didnt know how to destroy it. He was probably still working on it when he was killed. ( or we assume he is killed)

Old 17-09-2006, 12:13   #47
Alz
Head Unspeakable

... well here is the thing - how exactly easy is it?
Harry stabbed the diary with the basilisk tooth ... job done ...
Dumbledore 'cracked' the stone in the ring and lost a hand ...
I still cant help but feel the real protection with the locket was the hoops you had to jump through to get to it - once you had it Voldemort expected the person to be dead (potion and all) so I reckon that once out of the potion that locket should have been easy to destroy?
This would fit in with the diary - but then again if HiaH might explain why he was able to destroy his one with little side effect

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 18-09-2006, 07:12   #48
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alz
... well here is the thing - how exactly easy is it?
Harry stabbed the diary with the basilisk tooth ... job done ...
Dumbledore 'cracked' the stone in the ring and lost a hand ...
I still cant help but feel the real protection with the locket was the hoops you had to jump through to get to it - once you had it Voldemort expected the person to be dead (potion and all) so I reckon that once out of the potion that locket should have been easy to destroy?
This would fit in with the diary - but then again if HiaH might explain why he was able to destroy his one with little side effect
well, looking at the note RAB left, and that locket from OoTP, the horcrux might have been destroyed too. We dont know for sure that the locket horcrux is still there or not, do we? We assume that it would be, and need to make sure that it is destroyed, because the locket in OoTP sounded undamaged. In fact no one could open it. Maybe because it needed more effort.

Old 19-09-2006, 12:09   #49
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Well, if that is the case - isnt that a redundant plot?
I mean I still struggle to believe RAB is more important than the fact he took the locket and maybe hid it ... if he actually destroyed it - where could this lead Harry?
I dont believe RAB is that important - how he come to be in possession of the locket etc is and also where it ended up ... but if that is Regulus, then all JKR has done is conceal some data into the past books and can say - 'see, the clues were there' ... mind you though this is scraping into another one of my threads so sorry for the digression!
One thing I would say - considering the sentimental value of the locket, being his mum's and also a relic of Salazar - you wonder if it also represented the highest level of protection on any horcrux and so what is left would be easier to get to?

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 20-09-2006, 04:19   #50
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

Yes, you make a point that I cant argue with.
If RAB comes out of no where after 6 books and plays a role similar to DD, then it would qualify to making up for mistakes made in earlier books, or even concealing for that matter. The plot that JKR follows, I am sure she wont throw that kind of thing at us.
But the only thing that bothers me about Harry W/O DD is, he is not even close to face Voldemort. Who in the world is going to show him how to finish Voldemort from existing characters. These people couldnt even say Voldemort's name before Harry joined Hogwarts. He and DD only were the people who said it and didnt fear it. Maybe RAB can be inserted in just like Slughorn was in book 6.