Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Half-Blood Prince > HBP Character Discussion

HBP Character Discussion Any facts or details from HBP on new and old characters

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 21-09-2006, 11:57   #51
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Re: Slytherin's Locket

I think Harry is near on complete - a little niave in magic maybe but he has all the other weapons he needs ... I think we have seen that in Harry over the series.
Harry doesnt need or even want to become just like Voldemort - it is his direct opposition of all that makes Voldemort ... well Voldemort that is Harry's biggest strenghts - as Dumbledore said, Voldemort's weakness is Harry's greatest strength.

RAB confuses me to be quite honest - there is no doubts of his links to the locket and of course that is relevant considering horcruxes, destroying and then taking Voldemort on - but still not convinced it is back at Grimmauld Place.
Why would JKR have Dung stealing Black items and selling them - I mean that doesnt really add much to the story unless amoung what he took from the house is something Harry is looking for!
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2006, 03:58   #52
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alz
Why would JKR have Dung stealing Black items and selling them - I mean that doesnt really add much to the story unless amoung what he took from the house is something Harry is looking for!
Or maybe she did it intentionally to make us think all over the place. You see JKR would know that smart fans will track down that Locket from OoTP. She needed to put Dung story in to make her readers go in all directions. Now we cant track the locket properly and story becomes even more interesting.

"Let me tell you the secret that had led me to my goal. My strength lies, solely in my tenacity."
-Salazar Slytherin the founder of house Slytherin

"Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which all difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air."
-Godric Gryffindor the founder of house Gryffindor

"We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge all around us. And the more we gain, the more is our desire."
-Rowena Ravenclaw the founder of house Ravenclaw
cagedcactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2006, 11:09   #53
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Touché - agreed Dung selling Black items could be a red herring to make us believe he moved the locket but that would be intricate as a red herring - not saying JKR is beyond that but having Dung the thief seems to fit in well if that locket in the Black's house really is our missing RAB Horcrux ... especially if RAB is Regulus - there is almost a logical link to follow there ...

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 13-10-2006, 03:59   #54
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

Yes I agree on that point.
The whole idea about Dung showing the items to people in Hogsmeade struck me like a needle.
that also on a weekend when almost half of the Hogwars student were there, not to mention Harry and the friends.

"Let me tell you the secret that had led me to my goal. My strength lies, solely in my tenacity."
-Salazar Slytherin the founder of house Slytherin

"Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which all difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air."
-Godric Gryffindor the founder of house Gryffindor

"We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge all around us. And the more we gain, the more is our desire."
-Rowena Ravenclaw the founder of house Ravenclaw
cagedcactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2006, 13:05   #55
Angelis
TFH Graduate

Yea i think i started a post about this locket before ! .but could jkr just be mentioning dung just to throw us off the trail, we knew they put ine locket into a black bag, but did kreacher take it , i know it's not mentioned he has it ,but jkr does like to keep us guessing & if dung has it harry will have to find it as well as the others how big will this last book be.but dumbledore said the rest of harrys possions was safe , so the bag could be still at the house , i hope it is . hasn't harry got enough to do
Angelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2006, 04:19   #56
Meagan091484
I'm a N00b

It is hard to assume just where the locket is, isn't it. I do agree that it probably does not have tons of spells attached to it, seeing as how it was a death mission just retrieving it. But I do have a theory as to why it could not be opened in OoTP. While there may not be (tons of spells attached to it), does not mean that there is not any. And it only takes one.... Voldy made it unopenable to any but him. And since he transfered some of his powers to Harry on that fateful night, Harry is the only one who can open it. In OoTp, it never states if Harry had tried it before it was thrown in the waste bag. Would you hand a teenager a resiliant jar to open, or give it first to another adult who then determines that it just will not go? A little far fetched, but then again maybe not. Let me know what you think.
Old 22-10-2006, 07:25   #57
Mr_Bandman
TFH Graduate

When Sirius died he left #12 Grimmauld Place to Harry....that included Kreacher. I think it is reasonable to assume that it also included everything in Grimmauld Place. If #12 Grimmauld Place & Kreacher are bound by some sort of enchanted & unbreakable contract to Harry, would it not stand to reason that all of the things in the house are bound by that same enchantment? Here's a great possible twist---if this is the case, and that locket that Harry so conspicuously can't remember is a Horcrux, then Harry owns a piece of Voldemort's soul. Wow. That could be a huge advantage or an enormous disadvantage.
Mr_Bandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2006, 08:40   #58
Padma Patil
Dumbledore's Girl

Okay, just a small thought here. Below is what is said in the message that was found in the Locket...

To the Dark Lord
I know I will be dead long before you read this but I want you to know that it was I who discovered your secret. I have stolen the real horcrux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can. I face death in the hope that when you meet your match, you will be mortal once more. R.A.B.

I bolded the part I want you to notice. How do we know that the Locket was the hocrux? What if it was what was inside the Locket? Think to yourself, can you honestly imagine someone of Slytherin's reputation to be wearing a locket? Why would he even own one unless it was for a girl he liked, and if that is the case, it wouldn't be Slytherin's locket, it would be the girl's.

So, all I'm saying is, how do we know the horcrux is the locket and not what was inside the locket?

"Look . . . at . . . me. . . ." he whispered.
- Severus Snape
DH pg. 658 Ch. 32 (US edition)
Padma Patil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2006, 19:27   #59
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Interesting thought there PP ...
I think the relevance of the locket wasnt who wore it etc - it was who it belonged to and also what it was - it was a perfect horcrux object for Voldemort ... owned by his mother and passed down through the years as a Salazar heirloom ...
But that said, you could be right there ... perhaps the locket was the real locket and it was the contents of the locket that was the real 'magical essence' of the object, I mean it would have helped conceal what he did wouldnt it - put the locket back but take what was inside ... food for thought maybe?

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 26-10-2006, 05:45   #60
Padma Patil
Dumbledore's Girl

hmm, I'm gonna have to burst my own bubble here. Because I just got done re-reading HBP and it says that when Harry finds the locket lying next to Dumbledore, (this is after Dumbledore is dead and everybody has just found the body) it says that the locket isn't as big as the one Harry remembered in the pensieve and it didn't have the 'S' which means it didn't belong to Slytherin. So it just goes to show that one must eat one's words every now and then.

Though I'm still not convinced that it was the locket that was the horcrux versus what might have been inside the locket.

"Look . . . at . . . me. . . ." he whispered.
- Severus Snape
DH pg. 658 Ch. 32 (US edition)
Padma Patil is offline   Reply With Quote