Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Goblet of Fire

Discussions on Goblet of Fire "I don't know who put my name in the Goblet of Fire ..."

Old 13-06-2007, 21:37   #11
Dr Winterbourne
Time Turners

Re: The Riddle's House Pt. 2

This isn't really related to what was being debated here, so long ago, but does relate to the Riddle house, so...

Who owns the Riddle House? It says in chpt 1 of GoF that someone owns it for 'tax purposes'. Could this be Dumbledore? Could he be keeping it safe and clean, for further hunting and possible clues? Perhaps he will bequeath it to someone, when the will is read.

Or, could it be Voldemort. i find it hard to beleive that he would be interested in his Mugle heritage, but he did go back there, assuming it was a safe place where he would not be disturbed. He would know that for sure if he owned it... but then, he'd been gone for 11 years, so probably not.

So, I'm sticking with Dumbledore. I don't think she would have mentioned an owner at all if it wasn't going to come up again. We're all pretty sure Harry's going to his parents house - perhaps there will be a motif of returning to these ancestral places. it has been suggested elsewhere that Little Hangleton is where they are flying to on that dragon. i disagree, but perhaps.

Back to my main point - I suggest Dumbledore owns the Riddle house.
Dr Winterbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2007, 00:04   #12
happy_hannah
TFH Graduate

it is suspicious that j.k included this whole chapter about the house, perhaps because it is where a horcrux lies? (it was actually me that suggested this in another thread), it would be a place where voldemort felt 'powerful' and the killing would be a significant one. As for harry being the boy the caretaker see's i doubt it, we know tom riddle went to the riddle house as harry saw the memory between tom and Morfin and Morfin tells him he looks like tom riddle senior and where he lives, but then tom did then get morfin to confess to the killings, why then put the ring in the Gaunt house? Its nowhere near as grand as the riddle house would have been at the time....hmmmm
but then riddle has his father killed before he knew of horcrux's because in the pensieve when he asks slughorn he is wearing the ring, so did he then go back and put the ring into gaunt house, then also he could have put one in the riddle house
Old 14-06-2007, 05:57   #13
Dr Winterbourne
Time Turners

The Gaunt house is a link to his illustrious heritage - that is why I think he put the horcrux there. The Riddle House would seen, I think, the more mundane of the two, despite its size.

But then again, he did choose to go back there.

I think it is fairly certain that the dark-haired figure at the house was Voldemort, doing the deed - and not a time-travelling Harry on a Sarah Connor mission.

As to the appearance of Tom Riddle and Harry Potter being similar, my thoughts are that early on, for the first time reader of CoS, it fuels spectualtion that Harry could be the heir of Slytherin, and opens the way for a potential Luke Skywalker/Darth Vadar 'I am your father' confrontation in the mind of that first time reader.

But now, their similarities, I think, are part of a proud tradition of the hero and the villain of a staory being essentially linked - almost two sides of the same coin. The Dark Lord is a murderer, a would-be usurper of power. After he defeats V in DH, the famous Boy Who Lived will be in a position from which he could probably rise to power himself - if he chooses too. (I remember a fascinating thread on this from a few months ago, involving a Bible quote, saying there will be a vacuum when the evil is cast out, that will be filled by evil if it is not filled with goodness). Harry, thus, could be a potential Light Lord.

Where Voldemort is a murderer, Harry is a scourge - putting to death all that should die, like a bolt of divine fire from heaven. But Harry kills not for pleasure or gain, but because it is right that things die, so that life can be born, pheonix-like, from the ashes.

They share the one mind, they share a destiny, many features of their lives are similar, or provide interesting contrasts to each other. They are a point and counterpoint in the debate in the same symphony.

For Tom to plant a Horcrux in the Riddle house would surely be like Harry choosing to honour the Dursleys.
Old 24-06-2007, 19:04   #14
Alz
Head Unspeakable

I believe the Riddle's were the one's using the place as a tax dodge.
I'm sure it was even referred to as the Riddle house and maybe before they were killed and it made it infamous?
As for the 'boy behind the grassy knoll' - I am pretty certain that is Riddle Jnr after reading HBP ... although the 'Sarah Connor' angle would still be pretty sweet!
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 09:11   #15
Arwan
TFH Graduate

I think it is possible that the dark haired boy could be Neville, he also has reason to want voldemort gone, after what happened to his parents.
Arwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 11:26   #16
Dr Winterbourne
Time Turners

Alz, about the tax dodge - it said that the current owner was using it for tax purposes - the one who owned it at the beginning of Gof.