Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Future Book Speculation > Discussions on general Septology

Discussions on general Septology "The One with the Power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches ... "

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 27-05-2007, 04:00   #21
Hoggy Warty Hogwarts
Outside Playing Quidditch

Re: DIATSSISE Theory

You know i didnt much like the rudeness in the tone of voice so to speak that he was using something abou if he wasnt right then JKR would be insulting him or something like that i only read it once and cant remember his exact words for it all and something about idiocy anyway it was enough to turn me off the theory he may be right but i will only believe it when i read it in deathly hallows. sorry it wasnt very factual...
Hoggy Warty Hogwarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2007, 05:49   #22
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

I was taken in at first. I had thought that I should check it more carefully, since I have the means to search for words and phrases throughout the entire series, but it just seemed like he had realy worked that out, he had book refferences etc. Then when I saw notposs' find on "fiasco" I decided I would check for more and for the other key "forgive me" I'm glad I did.

You know . . . on the internet you can be whoever you want to be . . . with more or less annomys screen names, you can say you are whoever and whatever you want. For all you guys know, I am Paris Hilton, and I just don't want the press to know I'm addicted to Harry!

But really, after thinking this over with a clearer head (no one with 5 kids ever hasa totaly clear head!) I realy doubt that this guy is a lawyer, or the 50 or 60 years old he claims. For one, a lawyer would make absolutely sure of his facts before he presented them as evidence to prove a point. Yes, there were some spelling mistakes, (and probably many more that I didn't notice as I am a lousy speller) but when typing up his theory, could h not have used a spell check? an experienced lawyer should know how to use word and spellcheck, secretary or not! I'm thinking about going back and looking at these other theories and knocking them down as well!!! . . . Maybe I should go to law school!

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2007, 04:06   #23
Luna
TFH Graduate

I totally agree with you HWH, I was offended by the tone of this site. The repeated references to it being an idiotic plot should Harry achieve the task of finding and destroying the horcruxes and it concluding in a fantasy tale versus a mystery one belittles the fans of the series. At the end of the day, this is an inspired series that has given us hours of fun deliberating plot twists, potential story lines and character conspiracies and to suggest that it would become a farce should an underage wizard achieve the 'impossible' shows contempt for the readers.

Enough ranting, mustn't take it personally!!

On to the theory he puts out...... I do find it interesting. Like many others I lapped this up on first read and found myself believing it, I buy that DD might have been impersonating Snape to find out more from Wormtail. Use of the words 'Forgive me', although not used by DD in previous books too much as proved by SPF, but repeated several times by DD in HBP could be a JKR literary clue to point us in this direction. We're into the 8 week countdown now so not much longer to wait......
Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2007, 08:45   #24
Seeker615
Ghosthunter

I found all of his theories to be well written on a first go over, but after clearing my head and really thinking them through I agree that like any theories there are holes in them. (Just like the Dumbldore is not Dead Theory and site)

I think any of us can come up with a good well written theory and present it and have people mull over it.

It's not to say that his theory will end up proving right in the end. It might or it might not. same as the Harry is a horcrux theory. There are a lot of good theories saying he is one but it doesn't mean he is.

I love reading everyones theories. It makes for great discussion and passes the time before we get our answers.
Old 29-05-2007, 18:04   #25
Dr Winterbourne
Time Turners

Quote Seeker : Like all theories there are holes in [it].

Well, there is one theory that will not have holes in it - if one of us manages to guess exactly what happens/ happened.

I wonder if I'd be disappointed or proud if that happened.
Dr Winterbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2007, 05:22   #26
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW
I wonder if I'd be disappointed or proud if that happened.
Well that just about sums it all up! I have thought the same thing so many times. I get onto a clue, something starts to click, I research it and it's looking good . . . then the thought hits me . . . What if I'm actualy right? I mean none of us want to read any spoilers before the book comes out . . . but . . . Why then do we dig and discuss trying to figure everything out? I guess it just all comes down to human nature! We often want things that aren't good for us.

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Old 30-05-2007, 11:34   #27
paintball
TFH Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna
I totally agree with you HWH, I was offended by the tone of this site. The repeated references to it being an idiotic plot should Harry achieve the task of finding and destroying the horcruxes and it concluding in a fantasy tale versus a mystery one belittles the fans of the series. At the end of the day, this is an inspired series that has given us hours of fun deliberating plot twists, potential story lines and character conspiracies and to suggest that it would become a farce should an underage wizard achieve the 'impossible' shows contempt for the readers.

Enough ranting, mustn't take it personally!!
Sirius Potter Fan kind of invited me to visit this forum, so excuse me for butting in, but I did see a few comments I wanted to reply to.

First of all I realize that my bluntness on my site does come off as rude to many people. I am not going to appologize because I meant my comments to effect people this way. I hope most people realize that my logical and illogical comments on my forum pertain more to my two trap theories then the DIATSSISE theory.

Second I am not talking about Deathly Hallows when I talk of an illogical plot. I am talking about the plot of HBP at face value. To me Dumbledore would never have assigned the solo task of finding and destroying the Horcruxes and then finding and defeating the most evil wizard in the world to a 16 yr. old wizard, especially since he doesn't believe the prophecy must come true. Since this to me is an idiot plot, I have concluded there is a hidden plot to HBP. This discussion is off topic to the DIATSSISE theory, so I'll just limit my discussion of this subject to this short explanation.

Next: Yes I am a 59 yr; old criminal trial attorney. Yes my spelling and grammar is horrible, and no I didn't use spell check since I don't have my word processing programs on my laptop. I mainly just use my laptop for legal research. I dictate everything to my secretary.

Next: The fiasco and -forgive me- clue isn't a count of how many times these words were used in the series. It is more the manner in which JKR had them used. The reason the -forgive me- clue is sooo huge to me is the fact that it was used in the middle of an insult as an apology for the insult being given. I call this trait politeness to the extreme and it would only be used this way when writing Dumbledore's character. To me this clue is so strong that JKR might just as well have posted that it was Dumbledore in Spinner's End.

In my opinion the best way to test a theory is to assume the theory is true and then test all the facts against the theory and see if something doesn't fit. This is difficult to do with DIATSSISE, but one person told me she was able to do this by substituting the word Snapledore for the word Snape in Spinner's end when rereading HBP. Almost everyone who has reread HBP after assuming DIATSSISE is true comments that everything in HBP totally made sense to them and most have accepted DIATSSISE as the solution to the question of Snape's loyalities for this very reason.

I realize we all must accept the theories that to each of us seem the most likely. This to me is DIATSSISE.

Thank you

Paintball
paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2007, 12:25   #28
Mr_Bandman
TFH Graduate

I, for one, took no offense to your theory. Correct me if I'm wrong, Paintball, but it sounds to me as if you are saying that JKR is far too brilliant and crafty a storyteller & writer to commit to such an elementary and obvious plot. Taken in that light, it really is quite a nice compliment.

I think there is merit in the DIATSSISE theory. I am not buying it lock, stock, and barrel, but I am including among the more lucid, well-argued ideas I consider to be legitimate possibilities. I would not be surprised if Dumbledore has impersonated a good many people throughout the series. He was, after all, Professor of Transfiguration before becoming Headmaster. He is "away" a good deal of the time, or at least out of the picture---could he have been there all along, unnoticed? He told Harry that he has watched him more closely than he could have imagined---how, and from what vantage point?

There is much beneath the surface----we all know that----and we all know from experience that some of them are going to make us feel foolish when they are revealed because the hints, in hindsight, will seem obvious. I would be insulted if everything we see on first glance represent all there is to the story. That would constitute an "idiot plot" and would be beneath Her and insulting to all of us who have spent so many hours going through the books with a fine-toothed comb, debating amongst each other, and just staring into space wondering. If the apparent answer is THE answer to all the questions I have, I will feel really cheated. There's no way She will do that.
Mr_Bandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2007, 19:42   #29
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Thanks Mr Bandman, I couldn't have said it any better.

Paintball,
I meant no offense to you personally in my critique of your theory. Heaven knows that I have had many a great theory of my own disputed, or downright trampled into the earth. I was just pointing out that your key evidence is not unarguably conclusive. If you look at my post where I listed the occurrences of “forgive me”, Dumbledore is not the only one to use the phrase in the overly polite manner. Trelawney, Wormtail, and Fudge, have all offered “forgive me” before a perceived insult, in the very manner that Dumbledore uses. I never said that Dumbledore absolutely did not impersonate Snape . . . only that the use of a phrase does not prove that it is so (I actualy think that it would be really cool if it is indeed true).

I have read all of the books to my children, and as does Jim Dale, I have voices that I use for each character (although not exactly the same as Mr Dale, as I was reading to my children before I ever listened to one of the audio books) I read the chapter out loud (to no one but myself) and used the voice of Dumbledore in place of Snape's, and well of course it did fit. I did not however have time to try the same thing with Hermionie or Mad Eye’s voices, but I suspect that you will see the character of each if thinking of that character as you read. (but it may be interesting to see if I find the time)

In any event, I do apologize if I offended you in any way, which was not my intent. I do not visit other message boards, (no time!) so I don’t know how others work, but on here we often pick each other’s theories to pieces . . . if we can. It certainly wasn’t anything personal directed at you. . . . You are certainly free to chase down some of my theories on here that remain and shoot away at them. That’s all in the fun of sleuthing!

As far as questioning your occupation, age etc. Why should it be important or necessary to mention in the first place? Does the fact that you are older than I, or the fact that you hold a more highly esteemed position than I do make you any more knowledgeable than myself or others here? Those on this board whose occupations I am aware of are varied, and, although all here are “mature” we range in age from late teens, to over 60, yet we all respect each opinion voiced here . . . yes we may shoot them down, or praise them as we see fit, but either way it is done with respect.

I believe we reacted the way we did, not to ridicule you or your theory, but because we all were overexcited upon first reading your theory, as it is very well presented and convincing. Then we started to see holes where there was reason to question or doubt and we felt upset with ourselves for not being more critical in the first place.

I hope you will continue to visit our site and join in on our theories and speculations. Intelligent conversation, which I am certain you can provide, is always welcome here!

_Willy Wonka

Old 31-05-2007, 06:18   #30
paintball
TFH Graduate

Mr_Bandman

Sometimes I wish my obsession was limited just to checking the internet sites for new theories on a regular basis. For some stupid reason my mind thinks I should spend a lot of my time and money to explain to people on fan sites "why" to me many things they are saying to each other are totally illogical. I spent one whole weekend and $132 setting up a Harry Potter web site. Maybe I should consult a shrink. After all like you said it's just a book.

SPF

Don't worry about offending me. I have thick skin and don't take things personally. I do, however, also don't worry about hurting other people's feelings. I really do feel like a good many people (including children) are lost behind the looking glass on some of the larger fan sites. My problem is I can't make myself just leave them alone. For some stupid reason I want to talk logic with them. For example on the issue of whether or not Scrimgeour knows about the Horcruxes, I would give them this example of logic:

Assume the Chief Justice of the Supreme Cout discovers the only way to defeat public enemy Number 1 and he has decided he needs to pass this information on to one other person. Which one of these possible choices is totally illogical?

(a) The president of the United States
(b) The head of the FBI
(c) His closest friend on the Supreme Court
(d) A 16 yr old highschool student who works in his office

When I tried to discuss this example on the Hapana forum I was banned for rudeness for my blunt responses to a moderator's post claiming my logic was flawed. I told him my logic wasn't flawed he was just stuck behind the looking glass lost in wonderland and what was really logical was illogical in wonderland.

So don't ask me to participate in discussions unless you want me to speak frankly. I'm tied of beating around the bush with people.

Thanks

Paintball
paintball is offline   Reply With Quote