Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Chamber of Secrets

Discussions on Chamber of Secrets "In my fifth year, The Chamber of Secrets was opened ..."

Old 29-12-2004, 11:00   #11
Kingsley
TFH Graduates

Re: House Elves as Killers?

I think Wink would have done anything for the Crouches and so that time is over since the family line has ended

Kreacher on the other hand would probably kill for Belatrix if given the chance

I know we have never heard of house elves killing but Kreacher seems to happy to punish "blood traitors"

Trying to be normal these days

Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2004, 14:54   #12
Nagini
Time Turners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasleyfanforever
It has also been mentioned in other places that house elves have powers that wizards don't, and vice versa. Could some of these powers be used by Voldemort or another Death Eater to order a house elf to Hogwarts to kill Harry, or anyone else for that matter?
This is a tricky one but its a good question Wheezy

I think that Wizards will have put some form magic on all House Elfs that restricts their magic somewhat and it also restricts them from killing wizards. I think this because of the way Dobby was treated and no doubt other House elves and the way they will have been treated in the past and present. But in saying that, I do believe that they may be able to get round this if given a direct order or instruction by their master - maybe they can set up a fatal accident, but not actually harm anyone by hurting them.

Winky was accused of using a wand though but may not have the right kind or powerful enough magic to perform the AK curse.
Old 29-12-2004, 15:36   #13
Alz
Head Unspeakable

I think you need to look at it as a supression of their magical powers - as in they have magical powers more than any wizard - but they choose not to use them ...
If this is some over magic I am not sure - but by very nature you cant supress nature - in this case all it takes is cracks to appear - Dobby - and then you could end up bringing the dam down!
With Dobby he is harmless - but someone like Kreacher that seems wicked but cant be because of supression could really be a handful if the binds that hold him are released!
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2004, 18:13   #14
Weasleyfanforever
TFH Graduate

OK, Dobby said that house elves were treated even more horribly when Voldemort was powerful than now, and he creditted that to Harry. Now that Voldemort is back, will they endure the same conditions? Will it cause the cracks that Blaise mentioned? Could some of them blame Harry, for making them think that Voldemort was gone and they could continue on with their existances, and now Voldemort is back? Could JKR have been making an example of Dobby, who was freed, and proud of it, for future reference in HBP, when things will again be terrible for the house elves?

I think that things will definatly get worse for the house elves. I think Voldemort is gonna be even more powerful, and that this will not cause any good things to happen to the house elves. I think it is likely that at least one house elf will cause some damage to it's family, almose definatly if it is a DE's house elf. I am not sure about the house elves blaming Harry, but I think it would be interesting....
Old 30-12-2004, 11:59   #15
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Well - the goblins had a rebellion and now the relationship between them and the Wizarding world seems almost equal ...
I know that the Wizarding world and the House Elfs must have clashed as well at some point - but an uprising could lead to a different outcome second time around ...
I think if the House Elf's did draw arms against the Wizarding world - they could be capable of many things that would shock us - especially since we have been lead to look at them as harmless home helps ...
Perhaps that is why JKR wrote as such - so that when she has them running amock we will all be shocked at the supressed sides of them

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 30-12-2004, 22:17   #16
Weasleyfanforever
TFH Graduate

The only problem I have with this is that the House Elves don't really seem to stick together as a race unless they are doing housework. Look at how they ousted Winky and Dobby, just for being different. I also think that they are very loyal to their masters, and that a majority of them would feel that they were bound to them... I think that if there were a rebellion, it might be only the house elves who were being treated horribly, such as the DE's house elves...
Old 31-12-2004, 08:40   #17
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Umm - they all seem to have thier liberties removed - as such they all seem to have at least that in common - i mean defining treating badly in that circumstance would ultimatly mean they were all the same.
Years of repression make them belive that they are better off being surfs to the magical world - but we have seen a few of them work either on the line or just over it ... I mean Kreacher was loyal but not that loyal ...
I think that they are capable of many things - I suppose it is if they actually realise themselves ...

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 30-03-2005, 16:40   #18
Haley's Comet
Mature Graduates

Anything is possible I suppose. One very disturbing point is the fact that house elves can apparate and disapperate in the Hogwarts buildings. JKR says this is how they get about without being noticed. If the house elf is loyal there's no problem. But what happens if we get one or two house elves that are not so loyal, and are operating (invisibly) within Hogwarts under the orders of their evil masters? Oh boy, could this open a can of worms! Think about it!
Haley's Comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 13:06   #19
Alz
Head Unspeakable

No I agree - the master act like a suppresser to the true nature of an House elf - we have never been told what they were like before they were enslaved - as such there is always a thought in the mind that they could really pose problems if they wanted to.
We know their magic is a special kind of magic and as such - well we have no real understanding of the contraints or indeed the limits of what they can do if they were so inclind to do so.
I'm not convinced it is important the past of the elf's - but it might certainly answer what they are capable of in defense or attack of the wizarding world if someone was able to 'turn' them

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 31-03-2005, 13:14   #20
HPfan4ever
Mature Graduates

I can't see House Ellves as killers but I think they might have some evil in them. Maybe before they were enslaved, they worked for Voldemort. Only some of them though.. it's just now they're so innocent and it doesn't look like they'd do much to people... But maybe a part of some evil plan they made went wrong and they were faced with the consequences of enslavement. A bit far-fetched... but since we don't know much about their past, it's possible.
HPfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote