Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Books 1 thru 5 > Discussions on Chamber of Secrets

Discussions on Chamber of Secrets "In my fifth year, The Chamber of Secrets was opened ..."

Old 11-02-2005, 15:30   #11
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Re: Why didn't Dumbledore notice....

That is all true - but Dumbledore being the power he is - he must have at least located an entrance ...
I cant believe he knew of the significance of it back all those years and never got round to finding more details about it ...
I think there is a possibility that this could ne a tiny indicator of Dumbledore and his willingness to end it all - as in he seems to want things to play out - no matter the ending - if that isnt cold dont know what is ...

Fact is - he was aware, he has all method at his disposal - and he has a good few years - and I am with Kinger - how can a trio os young teens solve such a mysery when a person most of the magical world respects and looks up to cant even find it in all those years of looking?
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 16:16   #12
HPfan4ever
Mature Graduates

Yeah.. Dumbledore doesn't necessarily have to be evil but maybe he could be helping a bit more. I know he can't really speak parseltongue but atleast he could have located the chamber. As far as we know, he didn't even though where the chamber was. There could've been a solution if he knew the area in which teh chamber was. To think about the trio didn't have any proof that no one else could've got. They didn't know about Moaning Myrtle that time... all they noticed were the spiders and other people must have noticed that...
HPfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 10:48   #13
Alz
Head Unspeakable

What strikes me is he knew the relevance of the Chamber - he knew that one day someone might try getting in there ..
With all those years he had to look - he just didnt seem to be that interested ...
Also couple that with the events of CoS - I would have thought it would have been re-addressed and we would have heard how Dumbledore had located and sealed the Chamber now - Harry could have lead him there ...
But once again - no mention - we are told that the Chamber might be re-opened - you ahve to ask your question how that is possible now ... surely Dumbledore would have it all closed, destroyed or made unusable - or at least discovered the secrets it holds ...

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 12-02-2005, 12:47   #14
Tonks
Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagini
It is a bit odd, but the school was searched many times by the teachers and it was never found. I am assuming that because none of the teachers, including Dumbledore don't speak parseltongue that they did not hear the basilik in the walls. That would have been a big clue to have put them onto it.
Damn you Gin for reading my mind!

I think that one of the only reasons Hermione realized the Basilisk was moving around in the pipes was because Harry said he heard them through the walls. Now, without knowing that there was a pipe connection here - who would even begin to think that the entrance would be in a girl's bathroom?

Now, I do think that it is a bit strange that Myrtle was killed by the "monster" in that bathroom, yet it was not searched from ceiling to floor for any possible connections to the Chamber. You'd think they would have noticed the tiny snake scratched on the side of the sink tap.

However, I guess you do have to keep in mind that 50 years ago they thought Hagrid had opened the Chamber and that Aragog was the monster and so they wouldn't have a need to search the bathroom since they thought they had already caught the culprit.

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."
- Albus Dumbledore
Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 17:31   #15
Boing
Pops in randomly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise
Also couple that with the events of CoS - I would have thought it would have been re-addressed and we would have heard how Dumbledore had located and sealed the Chamber now - Harry could have lead him there ...
But once again - no mention - we are told that the Chamber might be re-opened - you ahve to ask your question how that is possible now ... surely Dumbledore would have it all closed, destroyed or made unusable - or at least discovered the secrets it holds ...
Wow - now that's something that never even crossed my mind. Harry killed a basilisk down there, but who's to say there aren't others or other secrets (the Chamber of Secrets does imply there is more than one!). And you're absolutely right - why wouldn't someone have tried to go down and sort it all out?

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2005, 11:10   #16
Alz
Head Unspeakable

The fact is Dumbledore could have used Harry at any time to lead him deep into the Chamber after the events of CoS - but no - nothing zlich!
Why would Dumbledore be so unintrested in something that was created by the Great Salazar - something that could or might even help Harry in the prophecy - there could be things in there that could help lead to a better understanding of the heir of Slytherin - but we close CoS and no-one seems that concerned - never referenced or re-addressed!
This neglect of post facts means that it is going to be used in some manner again - and that is why the CoS hasnt been put of of action ...

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

Old 12-04-2005, 15:49   #17
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonks
I think that one of the only reasons Hermione realized the Basilisk was moving around in the pipes was because Harry said he heard them through the walls. Now, without knowing that there was a pipe connection here - who would even begin to think that the entrance would be in a girl's bathroom?

I think this is the key to the question. Hermione knew Harry was hearing voices, Dumbeldore did not. Harry didn't confide this information to Dumbledore. This was the key to Hermione's realization regarding the basilisk. Harry was the one wizard around who could speak parseltongue, and he was the only one who heard the voices - 1 + 1 really. Dumbeldore knows a lot, but he doesn't know everything.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 16:37   #18
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

Dumledore didn't know the location of the Chamber, as far as we know. It is possible that he did know, but couldn't get into it because he didn't speak Parseltongue.

Then again, it is also possible that he does speak Parseltongue, but didn't know the location. Clutching at straws, really, but if DiE, then I'd expect him to harbour a secret like that!

He may not even need Harry to open the chamber now. They may have whacked charm after charm on the doors and such so they could open them (the professors, i mean).

What I did notice is that Myrtle's bathroom is no longer used...in GoF Harry only sees Myrtle in the prefects bathroom...well other than that I can't recall her popping up in her own bathroom. This means that DD has it sealed off, probably because they have to investigate it, right? So, having not asked Harry to open it again means they have either left it for now, and JKR brings it back in HBP, or Harry isn't needed.

No, DD does not know everything, but the stuff he does know, he knows a lot about!
Old 16-04-2005, 11:52   #19
kausarqadir
TFH Graduate

now, this is what i think.
1. nobody knew that it was Ginny who is doing all this. may be there are suspicions about different people doing it.
2. secondly dd wasnt on talking terms with Martyl. martyl only told them that when she died she saw a pair of yellow eyes over there.... this could only help, if you know something else, to join up the clues and make the whole story.
3. dd does not know parsel tongue. if he knows then why didnt he hear basilisk moving around. if he doesnt, then he must not have known something is happening in real. could be a made up story to frighten students.
4. last time when CoS was opened a muggle born died. this wasnt happening this time. they were not dying, but becoming petrified. dont you think this could have raised suspicions.
5. last time when it happened, volde in form of tom riddle was there in school. dont you think, dd must be trying to find out who's doing it? and for what reason?sometimes in medical science we should subside the pain to know the root of the problem. may be he thought that until and unless there is no great danger to it, first trying to find out who's doing it is important.
6. the consequences of the events have many advantages, like Lockhart's a fraud.
7. last but not the least, the trio did it in a different fashion. it was in a muggle sort of way, investigating and joining up clues, not the wizard's work. we miss something that all three have different qualities, with which they match most powerful wizards like at the end of PS/SS. many of the wizards couldnt do that alone.
kausarqadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2005, 14:59   #20
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Hermione is very good at making associations between clues - we have seen her do it many times ..
I refer to the point made by Tonky - that fact that Hermione worked out that behind the walls are pipes - and that Myrtle died in those bathrooms was a leap - but not unheard of by her standards ...
I think the removes away from the point and that being the questioning of Dumbledores actions - he of all people should have gotten a bit more on an indication of what was going on there because he had past knowledge and what's more - he knows how to keep a check on everything that is going on in his school.
I still feel the fact he never went back and asked Harry or indeed Fawkes to take him there is either a huge over-view by JKR or she wanted to use it again!

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536