Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Welcome to The Final Horcrux > All the information you need about The Final Horcrux

All the information you need about The Final Horcrux "Whoever's nearest the receiver, dial six two four four two!"

Old 12-10-2007, 23:04   #11
Dr Winterbourne
Time Turners

Re: Final Thoughts?

I spent most of the first half of this year rereading, rereading, and thinking about Harry Potter when I wasn't at work. Once I'd finished DH the second time, I picked up In Search of Lost Time, and something that had been niggling for a while became conscious.

The books don't actually say that much.

There have been several attempts this year to begin a thread that points out relevant observations the books have regading the modern world. Despite the minds of the contributers, which are clearly active in many other places, these threads never really took off, and they all sank very shortly after appearing, without too much coming of them.

I have found Harry Potter to be a very comfortable place to hide, Hogwarts a very enjoyable place to visit, but really, beyond this Lethe-like solace, I can't say that I've learnt anything from the books, or, beyond escapism, gained anything.

Some may say that is enough - and at times of overwork, of stress, of pain, sometimes it is. But there are books that offer much more than that, I've remembered.

I have felt no compulsion to return here for a while now, and I notice tonight that many others are staying away too. I'm left feeling that I enjoyed Harry Potter, but that they're not wise, they are not profound. They may have started people reading again, and I hope that that means they'll move on to other things; that can teach them more, challenge them more, and are in themselves more poetic.

Hmm. It seems a shame to feel all these things, after the interest I had; but the study of Harry Potter has become, I'm afraid, a dead end. There may come a time when I seek solace in Hogwarts once again, but I think I'll know it's a guilty, lazy pleasure - like watching television - and that there are better ways I can spend my time, and books that don't just entertain so effectively, but nourish and extend my mind.
Dr Winterbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2007, 22:03   #12
Snuffles
the keepr of the Veil

Dr. Winterbourne, I have to disagree with you. Yes, the Harry Potter books might not offer you the "profundity" that you might expect from the old classics, but it is a truly innovative series--- a major reason for its huge popularity is, i'm sure, is because of JKR's originality. It was, if I remember correctly, intially intended to be children's book; what more could children learn from reading books than thinking beyond what could be narrow, mundane minds?

I am just glad that we have left our children in the future with such great pieces of work. The generation before us had the LOTR series to pass down to us, and we have Harry Poter to pass down to the next generation.

I am sorry that not many people seem to be staying away.. as if to say, "harry Potter's finished.. i've already graduated," mostly becaue I myself grew along with the series. i doubt I'll ever read such page-turners as Harry Potter ever again.
"Saintlike," he murmured.
"What's wrong with him? croaked Fred, looking terrified. "Is his mind affected?"
"Saintlike," repeated George, opening his eyes and looking up at his brother. "You see...I'm holy. Holey, Fred, geddit?"
"Pathetic," he told George. "Pathetic! With the whole wide world of ear-related humor before you, you go for holey!"

"NOT MY DAUGTER, YOU B****!" -Mrs. Weasely

We did it, we bashed them, wee Potter's the one,
And Voldy's gone moldy, so now let's have fun!
"Really gives a feeling for the scope and tragedy of the thing, doesn't it?" said Ron.
Snuffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 14:25   #13
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Well, I suppose if you choose to look at it as a complex piece of literature to challenge the average PHD then . . . yeah, I imagine it would fall short of expectations. However, if you instead to look at it as a children's fantasy series . . . I think it is phenominal! This series has tested limits in several ways for the younger generation: exploring loyalty, government coruption, racism, good vs evil, and just what does constitut true evil, social prejudice, self sacrifice, family. These are just off the top of my head, I'm certain that if I were to start through the books again (which I plan in the next few months once I finish King's Dark tower series again) I would find many more prudent issues that have been brought into our children's lives through the Potter series. And yes, it has caused many who were not eager readers to discover the reward of sticking with a good book even if it is long. And . . . as this site and others as well show very vividly. They have been thinking. they have turned from reading just for pleasure, but reading and thinking about what they've read, and attempting to deduce an ending based on their comprehension of what they've read. I would say that this series has and will continue to be very benificial to all who choose to read it.

Why have there not been more traffic on the site? primarily, I would say simply, as this site was largely geered toward gathering clues, and predicting an ending which we now know, that is mostly selfexplanitory. Some of us, myself included will keep checking in a few times a week to see what is going on, if someone has picked up something we missed in the earlier books in hindsight. or as here, to discuss ideals and thoughts concerning the series.

The site will pick up when the films are close to release, as well as when the supplementary book that JKR has promised becoms available. Also when the theme park opens . . . can't wait for that!

Ok I'll get off my stump for now.

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 12:17   #14
Seeker615
Ghosthunter

What can I say? I came into the series very late. It was right after the release of the POA movie. I have enjoyed the movies with my kids and after the POA movie I felt I was missing something. Well that was a huge understatement. I took the first 4 books and spent an entire summer reading them. I was hooked! I read them in the evenings and by the pool on my summer vacation. I had to buy a hardback OOTP as it was not released in paperback yet. After I finished that I needed an outlet for all the questions I had and came across a few fan boards and sights and met many other “crazy” potter adults. I loved speculating with everyone as to what would happen next.

Well now that it is all over I am a bit sad. No more theories, no more speculating.

I reread Deathly Hallows once so far. I imagine I will eventually reread the series again. Currently I am reading other things but I know my HP books are on a shelf waiting for me to pick up again. I just know it won’t be the same as the first time as there is no speculating on how it will end but nevertheless it will still be a great ride!

Last edited by Seeker615; 17-10-2007 at 12:19.. Reason: typo
Seeker615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 12:40   #15
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Wow Seeker, that is strange . . . you sound just like me. I also got into the series "late" only slightly before you, in Jan. before PoA came out in the movies. My one of my kids got a paperback of PoA for Christmas, and well . . . I had been told that HP was "evil" and I should'nt let my kids read it. well, I decided to check into things for myself. I rented the first two movies and watched them by myself . . . they were great! Certainly not evil. So then I let the kids watch the movies, and after that I read PoA to them . . . then bought Gof . . . then just like you, I gave in and bought OotP as a hardback too impatient to wait for a paperback! Then went back and read them the first two since they had only seen the films, then . . . read PoA again (it was right before the movie premiered . . . big mistake!!!!)

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 13:43   #16
Mr_Bandman
TFH Graduate

Sorry you feel that way, DW.....I personally find it a far better written example of Children's literature than anything written by Roald Dahl, E.B. White, L. Frank Baum, or even C.S. Lewis. I found the books engaging, as I know you did, but I don't find them devoid of relevant observations. Ironically, the books' antagonist repeatedly dismisses (and sneeringly so) the central theme of the entire series---love conquers all. It is as if JKR anticipated the cynical eye-rolling of lots of jaded people who were looking for something else, something deeper. When it comes down to it, I suppose there is something very profound in the simplicity of the idea....John Lennon said it all....All You Need is Love....and as trite as that may seem, perhaps that is exactly what She was getting at----we have made love cliché, and tragically it is the one thing we all need to embrace and spread around and greet with the enthusiasm, open-mindedness, and un-cynical acceptance of a child.
Mr_Bandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2007, 10:56   #17
Seeker615
Ghosthunter

SPF- That is pretty wild that our adventure into HP was so similar. I just knew there was more to the story than what I saw in the movies. I am sure glad that I followed my hunch and read the books. In the process I got my oldest daughter to read them as well as my sister. They are happy they did!