Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Wild Speculation Forum > Storyline conspiracy theory

Storyline conspiracy theory "It's obvious what this means, there'll be loads of fog tonight"

Old 13-11-2004, 13:03   #1
Tinkerbell
Graduating

Separated at birth?

Now this really is a bit of wild speculation!!

Don't remember ever seeing anything like this mentioned before, but does anyone else ever wonder whether Harry and Neville are brothers (not so much twins, as although they have similarities, they do not look identical!) and that in order to give them both the best chance of survival against Voldemort, they were separated and brought up differently?

I have further thoughts here, which will be the subject of another thread!

Growing older is mandatory...Growing up is optional... laughing at yourself is therapeutic... laughing with others is fun!!
Tinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2004, 17:37   #2
Tonks
Unspeakable

Re: Separated at birth?

Alright, well, first of all - if they were both born in July of the same year, then they would have to be twins for this to work, otherwise its impossible, unless they're half brothers. Fraternal twins obviously since they aren't identical, but I find even that pretty unlikely as they probably would've noticed they had the same birthday at some point...

Half brothers though, is pretty interesting in itself. I suppose they could be, but at the moment I'm feeling relatively close-minded when it comes to this and am thinking it is pretty much impossible, especially because of how much Harry looks like James.

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."
- Albus Dumbledore
Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 21:25   #3
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

It is possible to be twins and have different birthdays

They would just have to be born 10 minutes apart, either side of midnight.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:06   #4
Boing
Pops in randomly

Yeah, and we know that he and Neville were born at the end of July . . . and since they don't have school during that time, it might never have come up that they were born on the same day (or one day apart, as the case may be). I guess it is possible (and completely wild). However, this does sound like one of those Star Wars theories that JKR is always shooting down . . .

Peskipiksi Pesternomi!
Boing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 21:46   #5
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Best way to solve this one - watch JKR's site.
She likes to post Birthdays of main characters on her site - as such I think we will see Nevilles birthday appear on there - if not then you have to wonder if there is more to this than meets the eye.
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2005, 12:28   #6
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise
Best way to solve this one - watch JKR's site.
She likes to post Birthdays of main characters on her site - as such I think we will see Nevilles birthday appear on there - if not then you have to wonder if there is more to this than meets the eye.
I usually don't go into too much wild stuff, but this is really a possibility. JKR said Neville was born 7/30 and Harry was born 7/31. In SS/PS, Harry was watching Dudley's watch for midnight to come so he'd know when he was officially eleven. This could be a hint that Harry was born just after midnight and Neville just before. I don't see them being half brothers though; I don't think James was that kind of guy, and I don't expect Lily was that kind of woman. The theory that they were separated at birth, and possibly for their protection they were split up, and Neville was given to the Longbottom's to insure one of them was spared.

But the only way this would work since JKR said Neville is a pureblood, is if James was Neville's father and messed around with Neville's mother. If Neville is a pureblood, Lily couldn't be his mother - then Harry and Neville couldn't possibly be twins.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2005, 17:14   #7
Tonks
Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortescue
But the only way this would work since JKR said Neville is a pureblood, is if James was Neville's father and messed around with Neville's mother. If Neville is a pureblood, Lily couldn't be his mother - then Harry and Neville couldn't possibly be twins.
Has JKR actually said herself that Neville is a pureblood, or are we just going by what is said in the books by characters who have always known his parents as Alice and Frank Longbottom..?

Because then these characters could all just simply be thinking that Neville has to be a pureblood because of who his parents are, when in fact they really aren't his parents after all..

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."
- Albus Dumbledore
Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2005, 17:35   #8
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonks
Has JKR actually said herself that Neville is a pureblood, or are we just going by what is said in the books by characters who have always known his parents as Alice and Frank Longbottom..?

Because then these characters could all just simply be thinking that Neville has to be a pureblood because of who his parents are, when in fact they really aren't his parents after all..
Good question, Tonkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR from her website
What is the significance of Neville being the other boy to whom the prophecy might have referred?
So what would have happened if Voldemort had decided that the pure-blood, not the half-blood, was the bigger threat? What would have happened if he had attacked Neville instead?
JKR said Neville is a pureblood.
Dumbledore said he was a pureblood, and Dumbledore would know if there had been a split up of Harry and his twin brother as he would probably have been the one who suggested it.

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2005, 00:48   #9
kashlie
afraid of my own shadow

Neville himself also says he is a pureblood 'But everyone knows I am almost a Squib' ... not that he'd really know anything if it was a secret.
They could be twins in another sense. Sharing something alike that nobody else has. I am still working on that though.
What if, apart from the prophecy, there was something else at play the night they were born (assuming they were born either side of midnight).
They could have been seperated at birth for the prophecy reasons. Kept apart after it was made so they could never be caught and killed at the same time. But as I said, I am still working on that theory.
Old 15-11-2006, 14:25   #10
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by OotP
Harrys stomach, already uncomfortable, clenched as he looked at Alice Longbottom; he knew her round, friendly face very well, even though he had never met her, because she was the image of her son, Neville.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS/SS
She was a very pretty woman. She had dark red hair and her eyes Ė her eyes are just like mine, Harry thought, edging a little closer to the glass. Bright green -- exactly the same shape, but then he noticed that she was crying; smiling, but crying at the same time. The tall, thin, black-haired man standing next to her put his arm around her. He wore glasses, and his hair was very untidy. It stuck up at the back, just as Harry's did. Harry was so close to the mirror now that his nose was nearly touching that of his reflection.
"Mum?" he whispered. "Dad?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoS
"It's about the most insulting thing he could think of," gasped Ron, coming back up. "Mudblood's a really foul name for someone who is Muggle-born - you know, non-magic parents. There are some wizards - like Malfoy's family - who think they're better than everyone else because they're what people call pure-blood." He gave a small burp, and a single slug fell into his outstretched hand. He threw it into the basin and continued, "I mean, the rest of us know it doesn't make any difference at all. Look at Neville Longbottom - he's pure-blood and he can hardly stand a cauldron the right way up."
Canít really see this one.
There was -- and then no more of Thee and Me.

It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
Glumbumble is offline   Reply With Quote