Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Wild Speculation Forum > Storyline conspiracy theory

Storyline conspiracy theory "It's obvious what this means, there'll be loads of fog tonight"

Old 28-02-2007, 11:04   #11
Lovegood54
Luna's Biggest Fan!

Re: Why is the vanishing cabinet painted black and gold?

the ring most likely is not connected to Hufflepuff, because Gaunt says in the memory that it is an heirloom of the Peverell family, since it is said to have the Peverell coat of arms. and it is also centuries old, which means that it has always had the peverell coat of arms, and we can be sure that if Gaunt were also related (no matter how remotely) to Hufflepuff, he would have known and would have bragged about it. he always bragged about being related to Slytherin.
but, to return to the topic on hand, i doubt painting the cabinets would have any effect on the enchantments, after all, harry's broom care kit that he gets from hermione comes with polish (not the same thing as paint, but is similar in the fact that you are coating the broom with something) and tail clippers. to me, this means that the enchantments on a flying broom will continue to work perfectly if the broom is polished or has its tail twigs clipped. but of course, they do cease to function if the broom itself is broken (Whomping Willow anyone?). similar things can probably be found in the books, like wands (very poerful magic items since they focus the wizards power) are also polished. since thecabinets are enchanted, i can bet that it is the wood they are made from that is enchanted and not the paint. after all, let me pose this: i give you two cabinets. you are a wizard and decide to enchant them to make them into Teleportation devices. Which would you enchant? The cabinet or the paint? please tell me you would enchant the cabinet itself. if you said you would enchant the paint, i am sorry, but you are very dumb indeed. sorry to be mean, but it must be said.

oh, and i thought of something, maybe the reason the cabinets are not known to be artifacts of Hufflepuff is becasue they dont have the Hufflepuff coat of arms on them! because, with slytherins locket and the cup, they have the Slytherin and Hufflepuff seals on them. they are branded with a "Property of _____" thing, kinda like how farmers brand cattle. that could be why they dont know the cabinets belonged to hufflepuff.

"Mistletoe," said Luna dreamily, pointing at a large clump of white berries placed almost over Harry's head. He jumped out from under it. "Good thinking," said Luna very seriously. "It's often infested with nargles."

If it's wrong to think Tom Riddle is attractive, then i don't want to be right.
Lovegood54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 13:32   #12
Seeker615
Ghosthunter

Well we don't know for sure the cabinets really did ever belong to Hufflepuff. Black and gold seems pretty common for magic type things. (but it is posible)

Another question would be how long the other cabinet has been in B&B's shop. Has it been there for many many years? Or did it arrive there recently? And how come when Harry hid in it he wasn't transported or anything? The one in the shop wasn't broke so why didn't attempt to transport him anywhere?

I think possibly the cabinets were set in Hogwarts many years ago. Maybe one set up in a primary place and the other in Hogwarts to transport teachers to the school. Over time that practice was stopped (possibly when Voldy was rising to power the cabinets were put out of use so Death Eaters couldn't enter the school. ) I don't know how B&B obtained the other one though. Maybe someone found it and took it the shop for some money.

I wonder if the answer will even be in the last book...
Old 28-02-2007, 19:20   #13
tobias
TFH Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker615 View Post
And how come when Harry hid in it he wasn't transported or anything? The one in the shop wasn't broke so why didn't attempt to transport him anywhere?
This bothered me as well. Neither was broken when Harry hid in it- the one at Hogwarts was broken after he got back to school.

Maybe you have to ask/cast a spell to be moved back and forth, but Fred and George just shoved Montague into the other and they knew it was a vanishing cabinet.

I hope it makes book 7 but I'm not holding my breath. After 7 is released I'm going to email/write JKR and ask. She might just say at that point.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:15   #14
Lovegood54
Luna's Biggest Fan!

the easy answer is that harry wasnt hiding in the vanishing cabinet. he may have been hiding in an iron maiden, like in the movie. another solution may be that since harry didnt fully close the door of the cabinet he wasnt vanished. i can see fred and george shoving montague into the wardrobe and slamming the door behind him. where as in the shop, harry hid in the cabinet but kept the door open a crack so that he could watch what was happening.

"Mistletoe," said Luna dreamily, pointing at a large clump of white berries placed almost over Harry's head. He jumped out from under it. "Good thinking," said Luna very seriously. "It's often infested with nargles."

If it's wrong to think Tom Riddle is attractive, then i don't want to be right.
Lovegood54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 20:02   #15
tobias
TFH Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovegood54 View Post
...since harry didnt fully close the door of the cabinet he wasnt vanished. i can see fred and george shoving montague into the wardrobe and slamming the door behind him. where as in the shop, harry hid in the cabinet but kept the door open a crack so that he could watch what was happening.
That's brilliant- I wish I'd said it!

That makes it right in my eyes: the transport spell activates when the door closes.