Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Character Discussion > Discussions on Muggles, magical creatures and everything else ..

Discussions on Muggles, magical creatures and everything else .. "Them! Don' listen properly, do they? Don' look properly either."

Old 23-09-2004, 11:31   #1
Finnegan
Bachelor of Arts

Arrow Magic Late in Life

JKR has mentioned that someone who had not previously been able to do magic will find that ability late in life. So this probably means that either a Muggle or a Squib will suddenly stop being a Muggle or a Squib.

The way I see it, we have three obvious candidates: Petunia Dursley (my personal favourite), Arabella Figg, and Argus Filch. Which one of these do you think it'll be? Or will it be someone completely different?
Old 29-09-2004, 12:46   #2
Tinkerbell
Graduating

Re: Magic Late in Life

Nice one Finnegan! Where did you hear this?

I agree with your personal favourite that it will be Petunia Dursley, and wonder whether Dumbledore's 'last', referring to the Howler she received in OotP, may have suggested to Petunia that the time was nearing that she would be able to use magic herself?

I think that Figgy has already resigned herself to never being able to do magic, and Filch has tried desperately to be able to do magic, and if he can't do it even working within the most magical place in England, I don't think is ever going to be able to do it!

Growing older is mandatory...Growing up is optional... laughing at yourself is therapeutic... laughing with others is fun!!
Tinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2004, 12:49   #3
Kingsley
TFH Graduates

I think it would have to be petunia since vernon is more anti wizard than she is and the irony would be appreciated
Petunia's knowledge of the wizarding world is unwelcome also which makes it unlike the other 2 candidates who have no problem being in it

Trying to be normal these days

Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2004, 16:25   #4
PrettyMS.Potter
TFH Graduate

OH! I say petunia - JKR did mention there is somethin more to Petunia that meets the eye. I say Petunia will be a witch or squib.

~~"Don't be so humble, you're not that great."~~

~~ The Dark Lord will Live ~~There is no good and evil, there is only power, and those too weak to seek it...
PrettyMS.Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2004, 18:42   #5
The Laughing Imp
Mature Graduates

Well, you can rule out squib. I read a recent review where somebody asked Jo if Petunia was a squib and she answered in the negative.

~The Laughing Imp
The Laughing Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2004, 13:56   #6
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Given JKR's recent comments on Petunia, you have to be liking the odd's it will be her ...
JKR's comments were almost mocking when you read them but then again you cant take that as a sure fire sign, encouraging none the less ...
Failing that I would love to say Dudley, just because of the sheer irony of all it would mean
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2004, 14:41   #7
Madam Rosmerta
TFH Graduate

I predict it will be... Filch!

During the tumult, Mrs. Norris's life will be in danger, and one of the students (Harry perhaps) will save her.

Suddenly Filch will realize he was wrong all these years to hate the students.

His heart overflowing with gratitude, pointless hate eliminated, he will realize that the magic was in him all along.

The power of love!

Just kidding. I will vomit if anything like that happens. I'm hoping it is Dudley. How will Petunia and Vernon cope?
Madam Rosmerta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 04:02   #8
Finnegan
Bachelor of Arts

Ah, but JKR said "late in life". (I need to find that quote, but she used the word "late".) Now, if Dudley suddenly learned how to do magic at say, the age of 17, it wouldn't exactly be late in life. So I'm still leaning towards Petunia.

I mean, as the only family that Harry has left, the Dursleys would make a pretty obvious target for the Death Eaters - what if Petunia suddenly learned how to magically defend herself, out of sheer necessity? I think it would be cool if she stopped repressing the ability when she simply didn't have any choice any longer - a sort of "do or die" thing. Who knows - Vernon might even be grateful.
Old 01-10-2004, 16:44   #9
Tonks
Unspeakable

LMAO Madam Rosmerta! I agree, that would definitely be sickening.

I think I need to agree with the consensus here and say Petunia as well. She would, without a doubt, be the most interesting possibility. And just imagine Vernon and Dudley- too funny!

I do have to mention that it would be a nice twist by JKR if it was instead Filch. Could the Kwikspell letter have been forshadowing, and not just a bit to inform us that Filch was a Squib?

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."
- Albus Dumbledore
Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 10:54   #10
Alz
Head Unspeakable

In support of Petunia, someone said above she will do it unknowingly - and I tend to agree!
I think Petunia live safe in the knowledge that Voldemort and the other Death Eaters cant touch her or her family as long as Harry is around ...
We also know that Voldemort can now touch Harry, is this protection of Privat Drive now gone?
If so, is it possible to assume that one summer a Dark Lord or his followers will come calling?
If so, Would Petunia be faced with seeing her loved ones in mortal danger and it awakens something inside of her she never knew she had?
Could it be that she is as gifted as sister but never wanted to pursue it, instead to ridicule and make light of it?
What would the effect be on her husband and son when they see Mum do 'freaky magic' in order to protect the ones she loves?
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote