Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Half-Blood Prince > HBP Character Discussion

HBP Character Discussion Any facts or details from HBP on new and old characters

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 27-09-2006, 11:35   #1
Alz
Head Unspeakable

Question Another Unbreakable Vow?

Thought just occurred to me - could it be that Snape made an unbreakable vow to Dumbledore to keep Harry Potter alive?
Just thinking on here ... Snape gives Voldemort the information which sets Voldemort on the path of the Potters ... when Snape finds out, he goes to Dumbledore and wants to try and stop the events he started, redeem and also become the double agent ...
So, Dumbledore in order to make sure Snape is true and honest - makes him take the Unbreakable vow over keeping Harry safe?
That is why Dumbledore trusts Snape completely - because he knows Snape cant participate in Harry's downfall and in fact has to do the opposite and keep him alive ...
Dumbledore knows neither can live while the other survives - and knows that if Harry is left protected and safe ... in order for the prophecy to fulfil Voldemort would have to buy it instead ...
So, Snape was the ideal tool and probably the best person for an Unbreakable vow - he could access and influence Voldemort as well as keep an eye on Harry?

That scene in PoA film where Snape stands in front of and protects Harry and co from werewolf Lupin just shows so completely how he is trying to keep Harry safe!

Thoughts all?
'Please, please, please, no ... not that, not that, I'll do anything ...'

Dumbledore - HBP Pg536

'Merely taking your life would not satisfy me..'
Dumbledore - OoTP "The only one he ever feared" Pg895
Alz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 12:36   #2
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

Re: Another Unbreakable Vow?

That seems brilliant.
what ever the side Snape might have chosen finally, he cant hurt Harry. Or cant let him be hurt from someone either.
Yes, that is excellent suggestion.
We all know how knowledgible and powerful Snape is. Dumbledore knows that too. Snape willingly, or unwillingly can become a huge support for Harry.
Oh boy, I cant wait to see Snape reveal that to Harry face to face in Book 7.
Snape really got himself done in with the Vow he had to save Malfoy then, didnt he? That was a close escape for him. He was trying to save two of the most trouble seeking young men in Hogwarts whole year?
I pity him.

"Let me tell you the secret that had led me to my goal. My strength lies, solely in my tenacity."
-Salazar Slytherin the founder of house Slytherin

"Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which all difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air."
-Godric Gryffindor the founder of house Gryffindor

"We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge all around us. And the more we gain, the more is our desire."
-Rowena Ravenclaw the founder of house Ravenclaw
cagedcactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 16:57   #3
gbogbo
TFH Graduate

Nice idea. An office mate mentioned today that she believes Snape made such a vow to Harry's mother. There certainly seems to be something "protective" involved between Snape and Harry, despite the terrible tension between them. There also have been allusions to "everyone" loving Lily, and Snape seems to have been under her spell as well.

If the vow was made to Dumbledore, then do you suspect this was Dumbledore's way of burning Snape's bridge back to the dark side, and thus why he trusted Snape so profoundly?
gbogbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 13:05   #4
Fortescue
Totally Potterfied!

It makes sense, but also puts Snape in a peculiar situation. He now has sworn his life to protect Draco and Harry? What would he do if he were to walk upon a confrontation between the two? Which one would be protect or would he still have to protect both of them? You know Draco and Harry are going to have some type of face off before the end!

"I miss having you in my classes, Harry, you were never much of a Seer . . . but you were a wonderful Object . . . "
Sybil Trelawney
Fortescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 04:20   #5
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

Nice point Forte.
I thought along that same lines too.
But as we have talked in another thread, Draco still has a chance to turn.
Draco couldnt kill, he may be a nutcase, but he is not cold blooded killer.
He was practically forced by Voldemort when given that task.
So if Draco actually ends up supporting Harry's side, openly or hidden, it may actually become easier for Snape to help Harry and others.

"Let me tell you the secret that had led me to my goal. My strength lies, solely in my tenacity."

"Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which all difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air."

"We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge all around us. And the more we gain, the more is our desire."
Old 29-09-2006, 08:14   #6
Padma Patil
Dumbledore's Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagedcactus
But as we have talked in another thread, Draco still has a chance to turn.
Draco couldnt kill, he may be a nutcase, but he is not cold blooded killer.
He was practically forced by Voldemort when given that task.
Yes, in fact, if I remember correctly, his main motivation for killing Dumbledore in the end was his fear of what Voldemort would do to Draco's mother if he failed.

I do like this theory, it would definatly explain why Dumbledore trusts Snape so much. Even if it was to Lily that Snape gave the vow to, Dumbledore would still trust Snape because of it.

If Draco and Harry ever came into a situation though that it became lethal enough for Snape to have to save both of them, then his identity as a double agent would be exposed and he would probably be killed by Voldemort, unless the Order can learn to trust him again and take him into hiding.

Wow, like cagedcactus said, I pity the guy!

"Look . . . at . . . me. . . ." he whispered.
- Severus Snape
DH pg. 658 Ch. 32 (US edition)
Padma Patil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 10:06   #7
peanutgal1
TFH Graduate

Don't forget that the Unbreakable Vow requires a binder. If there was such a binder, it would likely be one of the OOtP members. Remember that all of them doubted Snape at the end of HBP.

What I think is that DD was correct and Snape can be trusted. At the end of HBP, Snape taunts Harry with all of Harry's weaknesses, inability to use nonverbal spells and occlumency. I think that was a lesson for Harry.
peanutgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 12:28   #8
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

That is also an excellent point Peanutgal.
Yes there probably would have been a binder too if the Vow was taken. But Who?
It cant be anyone we know from the Order. Because no one showed any hints when they learned what Snape just did at the end of HBP.
It has to be a person we barely know.

Old 29-09-2006, 14:56   #9
peanutgal1
TFH Graduate

If its not someone from the Order, and like I said before, Tonks, McGonagall, Lupin and the Weasleys said that they'd always doubted Snape, the only person that comes to my mind is the barman at the Hog's Head.

I don't think that DD made Snape take an unbreakable vow though. It seems against his trusting nature to force someone make a promise under penalty of death. I think there's something else (love for Lily, perhaps), that made Snape switch sides and genuinely recant.
peanutgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 15:45   #10
halliemei
TFH Graduate

Possibly, Peanut, but it is possible. We haven't "talked" to Dumbledore's brother (said barman) since Snape's escape, so that's easily possible.

That said, I've speculated in the past that the reason Dumbledore trusts Snape so implicitly is because of an Unbreakable Vow that had been done "back in the day." Of course, that would also have required a binder. Seems like someone needs to talk with Aberforth Dumbledore!
halliemei is offline   Reply With Quote