Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Discussions on Half-Blood Prince > HBP Character Discussion

HBP Character Discussion Any facts or details from HBP on new and old characters

Old 16-01-2007, 16:13   #1
secret seeker
The Half Blood Prince

The founder's Horcrux's powers ...

A lot of attention has been placed on the Horcrux's and their creation and behaviour when formed.
We know that Voldemort placed his own protection on the Founder's relics, but what powers do they possess, when they weren't or aren't being used as Horcrux's...
We can only assume on the properties of the relics, but any idea's ????.

Last edited by secret seeker; 17-01-2007 at 14:58..
secret seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 16:49   #2
Sir Cadogan
Noble Heart, Steely Sinew

Re: The founder's Horcrux's powers ...

The title of this thread is misleading, I'm afraid. You don't mean the founders' "horcruxes", but the highly symbolic objects which were once in the founders' possession. A locket as such is not a horcrux, but only after somebody's soul fragment has been put into it.
An interesting thought though: Could Slytherin have made a horcrux for himself, i.e. could he have split his soul in order to live longer?
Old 17-01-2007, 07:07   #3
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

I think that what you are asking SS, is if the relics Riddle used were used because they were at least believed to have some power of their own, would that make a horcrux made within them even stronger or more powerful? A good question there. Riddle/Voldemort sought power pure and simple and sought any means possible to empower himself further. He would have seen a benefit in using the personal objects of powerful people to contain his soul bits, thus believing that that part of his soul would also inherit in some way the power of the original owner. That could also make it quite significant that to the best of our knowledge, Riddle never got his hands on an object of Godric Gryffindor's. That being so, it could also become significant if Harry is indeed an heir of Gryffindor's . . . JKR did say that it was important that Harry be alone, no family on James' side . . . seeing some relevance here!

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 08:12   #4
Dr Winterbourne
Time Turners

I believe that were any of the objects used as horcruxes, it would seriously demish He Who Must Not Be Named's evilness.

These objects, these horcruxes, are ultimately evil devices.

Surely the founder of Europe's greatest school would not valorise evil wizards.

Sure, Slytherin may have been prejudiced, but not evil. I have always thought we need to get through a simplistic understanding of Slytherin as 'evil' and see that there is a legitimate place for the ambitious in the wizarding world.
Dr Winterbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 12:25   #5
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Have to object with you there Dr. Winterbourne, I would say you could easily classify any person who could create the chamber, and leave it with a deadly monster designed to kill all muggle born witches and wizards as evil! that is, unless you think of Adolph Hitler as a good guy . . .

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 02:13   #6
secret seeker
The Half Blood Prince

Re: The founder's Relic's powers ...

Apologies to everyone for the slightly mis-leading title, I think I've changed it?.