Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Future Book Speculation > Discussions on general Septology

Discussions on general Septology "The One with the Power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches ... "

Old 14-02-2007, 16:50   #1
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate

Who else has a Phoenix?

Mr Ollivander said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ollivander. PS/SS
We use unicorn hairs, phoenix tail feathers, and the heartstrings of dragons. No two Ollivander wands are the same, just as no two unicorns, dragons, or phoenixes are quite the same.
He goes on to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ollivander. PS/SS
"Maple and phoenix feather. Seven inches. Quite whippy. Try --"
Harry tried -- but he had hardly raised the wand when it, too, was snatched back by Mr. Ollivander.....

"Tricky customer, eh? Not to worry, we'll find the perfect match here somewhere -- I wonder, now - - yes, why not -- unusual combination -- holly and phoenix feather, eleven inches, nice and supple." ....

It so happens that the phoenix whose tail feather is in your wand, gave another feather -- just one other. It is very curious indeed that you should be destined for this wand when its brother why, its brother gave you that scar."
Harry swallowed.
"Yes, thirteen-and-a-half inches. Yew. Curious indeed how these things happen. The wand chooses the wizard, remember.... I think we must expect great things from you, Mr. Potter.... After all, He- Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things -- terrible, yes, but great."
If Fawkes only gave two feathers, for Harry's and Voldemort's wands whose Phoenix gave the feather for the "Maple and phoenix feather. Seven inches" wand? And if Ollivander's only makes wands with "unicorn hairs, phoenix tail feathers, and the heartstrings of dragons" where have all of the other phoenix feathers come from?

Given that the relationship between Fawkes and Dumbledore is so significant is there another important Phoenix owner hiding somewhere?
There was -- and then no more of Thee and Me.

It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
Glumbumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2007, 20:09   #2
Mr_Bandman
TFH Graduate

Re: Who else has a Phoenix?

Interesting question, G. I had occurred to me that Ollivander might have a supplier or 2 who raise certain animals to harvest for their various magically charged body parts. My first thought was a livestock farming industry, which could be considered a noble occupation. But then, the heartstrings of dragons and unicorn hairs can't be all that easy to come by----that suggests to me a black market of sorts----maybe there's an outlet in Nocturne Alley, or maybe it's a side business for the likes of Mundungus Fletcher (& Aberforth Dumbledore?). Maybe Mr. Ollivander just knows the right places to look for and purchase quality ingredients for his wands. If the latter is the case, where does he go for phoenix feathers?
Mr_Bandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 05:41   #3
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

The phoenix is a magical bird about the size of a swan. The phoenix has crimson feathers on its body and a golden tail as long as a peacock's. Its claws and beak are gleaming gold and its eyes are black. (These colors happen to be the colors of Gryffindor House, interestingly enough.) The scarlet body feathers glow faintly in darkness, while the golden tail feathers are hot to the touch. Phoenix tail-feathers are a powerful magical substance according to Mr. Ollivander, and are suitable for use as wand cores.

The above was found on HP-Lexicon.
see the sentence in Red.
Do you think Godric Gryffindor had that other Phoenix?
Maybe Olivander didnt really want to give that up. And maybe that 7 inch wand is more than just that, a WAND?

"Let me tell you the secret that had led me to my goal. My strength lies, solely in my tenacity."
-Salazar Slytherin the founder of house Slytherin

"Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which all difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air."
-Godric Gryffindor the founder of house Gryffindor

"We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge all around us. And the more we gain, the more is our desire."
-Rowena Ravenclaw the founder of house Ravenclaw
cagedcactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 07:30   #4
Vold. E. Mort
Crucio!

Who is to say that Goddrick didn't have Fawkes? A phoenix is, afterall, immortal. That thought alone keeps me believing that Dumbledore will return, despite JKR's proclamation that he's "truly dead". "Truly dead" for someone with pheonix-like properties means nothing.

From the ashes........
Vold. E. Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2007, 07:41   #5
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate

JKR has said this;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Humphreys for BBC Newsround
-Who did Fawkes previously belong to and will he play a vital role in the next book?

JK Rowling: I am not going to answer about the role in the next books, which probably gives you a big clue, and he has never been owned by anyone but Dumbledore. You will notice that when Harry goes back in the Pensieve in this book, Fawkes is never there, and ** no, I am sorry, not in this book, I take that back. When Harry has previously seen the study with a different headmaster he saw it with Dippet and Fawkes was not there then. Fawkes is Dumbledore's possession, not a Hogwarts possession.
There was -- and then no more of Thee and Me.

It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
Glumbumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2007, 12:54   #6
Vold. E. Mort
Crucio!

Ok, considering all the phoenix themes running rampant in this book, who is to say, and this is wild speculation, but who is to say Dumbledore isn't actually Goddrick Griffindor? It's been said that Dumbledor is ancient, his patronus is a pheonix, meaning he possesses characteristics of a phoenix. According to mythology, a phoenix is immortal. When it reaches the end of its life, it bursts into flame and is reborn from the ashes. Who is to say that Goddrick Griffindor hasn't changed his name over the eons and became someone else? Afterall, Dumbledor was very tight with Nicholas Flamel.. If July doesn't hurry and get here, I think I'm going to burst into flames!
Vold. E. Mort is offline   Reply With Quote