Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Future Book Speculation > Discussions on general Septology

Discussions on general Septology "The One with the Power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches ... "

Old 05-03-2007, 09:03   #11
Seeker615
Ghosthunter

Re: Voldemort's Body

Well he could have been ripped from his body and then the body vaporized. I don't see there being any body left because no one ever mentioned it anywhere. They found the Potters.

Dumbledore said it appears that Voldemort was destroyed but he didn't say so for certain. He must have been already trying to piece together what happened that night. If he saw physical evidence of Voldemort such as a dead body then he would have said "Well we saw his body so he is dead."
Old 05-03-2007, 17:12   #12
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius Potter Fan
Is this how it feels to be left as only a small fragment of a scrambled soul?

"ripped from my body" Somehow when he says that, it seems to me that he didn't expect that to happen. I think he had expected his body would survive as well as soul . . .
Voldemort was warned about this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slughorn. HBP
"Well, you split your soul, you see," said Slughorn, "and hide part of it in an object outside the body. Then, even if one's body is attacked or destroyed, one cannot die, for part of the soul remains earthbound and undamaged. But of course, existence in such a form ..." Slughorn's face crumpled .... few would want it, Tom, very few. Death would be preferable."
I find difficulty in seeing why Voldemort's body should react any differently to the AK curse than anyone else's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledore. HBP
"The Muggle authorities were perplexed. As far as I am aware, they do not know to this day how the Riddles died, for the Avada Kedavra curse does not usually leave any sign of damage. . . . The exception sits before me," Dumbledore added, with a nod to Harry's scar.
I also find difficulty in seeing why Harry should survive, as a baby, but not Voldemort's body. The protection given to Harry related to Voldemort not to other situations.

Interestingly Snape says to Bellatrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snape. HBP
.... but kill him, or allow him to be killed in front of me? I would have been a fool to risk it with Dumbledore close at hand.
which suggests that Harry could have been killed by someone else.

But where would that leave the prophecy? I would be tempted to say that the prophecy gave Harry protection against all but Voldemort but Dumbledore says of prophecies in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledore. HBP
"Do you think every prophecy in the Hall of Prophecy has been fulfilled?" and "Got to?" said Dumbledore. "Of course you've got to! But not because of the prophecy! Because you, yourself, will never rest until you've tried! We both know it! Imagine, please, just for a moment, that you had never heard that prophecy! How would you feel about Voldemort now? Think!"
There was -- and then no more of Thee and Me.

It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
Glumbumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:21   #13
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GB
I find difficulty in seeing why Voldemort's body should react any differently to the AK curse than anyone else's.
So that given, and I agree, there should be a body. We weren't told that there was one, and we were not told that there wasn't one either. Now we are left to solve not only the mystery of what happened to said body, as well as, and possibly more important, why the ommision? Is this why we are told that Lestrange & co. were looking for him?

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:13   #14
Lovegood54
Luna's Biggest Fan!

maybe there was a body, but they couldnt identify whose body it was because, i dunno, the roof collapsed and a beam fell and the face and skull was smashed and therefore it couldnt be identified? and dumbledore thought that there was a possibility that Voldemort had created a horcrux (well, obviously since he wasnt surprised when harry said "hes back" in book 4, or even "I saw him" in PS) and because of that, he knew voldemort survived. after all, most of the wizarding world thought he was dead and gone (even if they wouldnt say his name outloud, just in case he did find a way to survive death or revenge his ghost upon the world) so yeah, there very well could have been a body, and that many wizards believed he couldnt be dead even though there was a body because of rumors of how powerfully magical and evil he was.

"Mistletoe," said Luna dreamily, pointing at a large clump of white berries placed almost over Harry's head. He jumped out from under it. "Good thinking," said Luna very seriously. "It's often infested with nargles."

If it's wrong to think Tom Riddle is attractive, then i don't want to be right.
Lovegood54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 17:22   #15
Rory
TFH Graduate

Perhaps it's Voldemort's body in the Deathly Hallows. Hidden perhaps by Dumbledore? While Hagrid was caring for Harry?
Old 08-03-2007, 09:19   #16
Lovegood54
Luna's Biggest Fan!

but why hide the body? it wouldnt make sense to. after all, a dead body cant host a soul (at least not in my mind) and given that the wizarding world feared Voldemort may return says that maybe the body couldnt be identified 100% as Voldemort. like i said, maybe his face was smashed by a falling beam or something, and they couldnt identify him. i doubt Dumbledore went to the house after Hagrid picked up harry, after all, if Dumbledore went to the house, i am sure he would have picked up harry himself then, or at least arrived with hagrid and handed harry to hagrid and said "Hagrid. i trust you with my own life, and therefore i trust you with Harry's. i want you to watch over him today while i arrange where he will be raised. i will send word later to let you know where to bring harry and when. Keep your wits about you, there are some who will want him dead, so i ask you not to drink today....(etc, etc)" but hagrid says that dumbledore just sent hagrid to get harry and make sure he was safe. afterall, we know hagrid loves Dumbledore like a father, and if Dumbledore had personally handed harry to him, he would have said so. hagrid would have said something like "Great man that Dumbledore. Trusted me to take care of ye while he arranged your affairs. handed you to me, he did, and told me....." afterall, whenever hagrid talks about his interaction with dumbledore, he says pretty much what dumbledore says, and anything important he did.

"Mistletoe," said Luna dreamily, pointing at a large clump of white berries placed almost over Harry's head. He jumped out from under it. "Good thinking," said Luna very seriously. "It's often infested with nargles."

If it's wrong to think Tom Riddle is attractive, then i don't want to be right.
Lovegood54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:20   #17
Rory
TFH Graduate

I can think of 2 good reasons to hide his body.
The "Dumbledore's Horcrux suspicions" has convinced me that DD knew Voldy had made at least one horcrux - maybe more. So:

1)He would want to keep the body away from the DE - Just In Case - any of them also knew about the Horcrux and would try to maybe re-animate with a soul bit.

2) If the rest of the wizard world saw the body they would never believe he was back. They were very resistant to the idea even with no body. What would the reaction have been like if they had buried him?

This last is weak, being that DD is the top wizard, but DD may not have known if Voldy would need some of his own blood, bones, or flesh - or not - to create a new body.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:15   #18
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate

I think, Rory, that Horcruxes, do not work that way. They cannot reanimate a body they work by preventing the original soul, no matter how damaged, from being destroyed.
Dumbledore would face a dilemma if it were known that Voldemort's body survived. Firstly he would have to explain how Voldemort could still be alive if he was "demonstrably" dead. This would involve a discussion of Horcruxes which would not only show Voldemort that he was aware of what he had been up to but would also bring awareness of Horcruxes to a greater audience. Voldemort has rightly kept his Horcruxes a secret from his death eaters, with the exception of R.A.B. perhaps, because he knows that they would have no proble killing and thus being as immortal as he is.
the search for Voldemort's body gives the attack on the Longbottoms into a different perspective.
There was -- and then no more of Thee and Me.

It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
Glumbumble is offline   Reply With Quote