Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Future Book Speculation > Discussions on general Septology

Discussions on general Septology "The One with the Power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches ... "

Old 22-02-2007, 13:22   #1
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Who spread the news?

Something just hit me like a ton of bricks . . . There were wizards out celebrating in the streets just hours after Voldemort's "death". . . Who spread the news? Only someone who was there would have known. If a DE was watching they would keep the info to themselves and try to maintain their reign of fear. I don't think many of the Order would be in a hurry to spread the news . . .

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 16:02   #2
Glumbumble
TFH Graduate

Re: Who spread the news?

Well we certainly know how the messages were passed on. The report of owls flying all over the place. We also know that almost 24 hours after the murders of the Potters' McGonagal had only heard rumours herself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS/SS
said, "The owls are nothing next to the rumors that are flying around. You know what everyone's saying? About why he's disappeared? About what finally stopped him?"
It seemed that Professor McGonagall had reached the point she was most anxious to discuss, the real reason she had been waiting on a cold, hard wall all day, for neither as a cat nor as a woman had she fixed Dumbledore with such a piercing stare as she did now. It was plain that whatever "everyone" was saying, she was not going to believe it until Dumbledore told her it was true. Dumbledore, however, was choosing another lemon drop and did not answer.
"What they're saying," she pressed on, "is that last night Voldemort turned up in Godric's Hollow. He went to find the Potters. The rumor is that Lily and James Potter are -- are -- that they're -- dead. "
Dumbledore bowed his head. Professor McGonagall gasped.
"Lily and James... I can't believe it... I didn't want to believe it... Oh, Albus..."
So it seems clear that the information didn't come from the order. Still strange that she should sit at Privet Drive all day on the basis of a rumour!
The individuals that are mentioned, Diggle for example, are not associated with the Death Eaters.
I look back to the time that Diana, Princess of Wales, died in a car accident in France. People in this Country were phoning each other, it was the first thing that people spoke of so I guess that when something significant occurs, that affects us we feel the need to talk about it, to confirm what they have heard and what they feel about it. Rumours go rapidly around small tightly knit communities, and the wizarding community is quite a small and tightly knit community.
As to who was the original "leaker" of the news, who knows? I have always thought that a place like Godric's Hollow would be likely to house more than one wizarding home.
There was -- and then no more of Thee and Me.

It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
Glumbumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 16:27   #3
Piper
TFH Graduate

Hagrid is one possible source. The reason that Professor McGonnagal was waiting all day at Privet Drive was that she had encountered Hagrid, and he had informed her that Dumbledore would be going there later in the day.

We don't know what Hagrid might have told her, like if he told her that Lily and James had died, but she had definately heard something because she asked Dumbledore to confirm it. She didn't know that the Muggles in number 4 were relatives of Harry's and was shocked that Dumbledore would leave him with such people.
So Hagrid is one possible source of a leak. And we know that Dumbledore sent him to get Harry.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 17:25   #4
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Well . . . we know that Hagrid is real good at keeping secrets . . . (cough - cough!) Certainly he would have began slipping once he heard, but do you think maybe he was the one there that night?

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Old 22-02-2007, 20:35   #5
Piper
TFH Graduate

Well I kind of doubt that Hagrid was there. I think Dumbledore contacted him to pick up Harry . If Hagrid had witnessed any of it, Harry would have known about it by now.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 13:59   #6
tobias
TFH Graduate

Hagrid was there comforting Sirius, so I bet on his spilling the beans. He seems the sort to find himself in the Leaky Cauldron for a pick me up and from there it would go everywhere...

I can see DD pushing Hagrid to the act-" Have a pint, you look a bit peaky... Sure thing Professor..."
Old 26-02-2007, 15:08   #7
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias
I can see DD pushing Hagrid to the act-" Have a pint, you look a bit peaky... Sure thing Professor..."
You know . . . I can see that too . . . and even more, since I read finished my re-read of GoF last night (OK, early this morning) something occured to me, and I make a thread on it, but it bares mention here as well. Hagrid said when talking to Harry at the end of GoF that he knew all along that Voldemort was going to come back some day, (which reminded me that he told Harry something similar to that in SS/PS as well). So, perhaps Hagrid was indeed there that night and saw something that made him think that . . . or, Did DD tell him that at the same time he suggested the drink in Hogsmede? Only . . . would Hargid fit under the cloak?????

_Willy Wonka

Old 26-02-2007, 18:19   #8
tobias
TFH Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius Potter Fan View Post
Only . . . would Hargid fit under the cloak?????
But our friend Dumbledore does not need a cloak to become invisible, so he could just take Hagrid's arm and share the invisibility...