Left Page Border
Makes the header linkable

Go Back   The Final Horcrux > Future Book Speculation > Discussions on general Septology

Discussions on general Septology "The One with the Power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches ... "

Old 27-02-2007, 19:58   #1
jimbo716
TFH Graduate

Who's Your Buddy? SNAPE

It just dawned on me that Snape is particularly hard on Neville as well as Harry. Could it be that he expects more out of these two? Neville is after all another son of two great and acclaimed aurors. I think that Snape knows that these guys are gonna have to pull it together, and is using a little "tough love" to get the message across. Any thoughts?
Old 27-02-2007, 21:56   #2
Piper
TFH Graduate

Re: Who's Your Buddy? SNAPE

I don't think it's tough love, I think Snape is a deeply disturbed person because of his own childhood.
I can half understand his treatment of Harry, because Harry does look like James, and James did pick on Snape horribly.
But the treatment of Neville just infuriates me to no end, I think that is the main reason that I cannot envision Snape as the good guy here. It's not tough love for a teacher to pick on a student so badly that they become that students worst fear.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 04:50   #3
cagedcactus
Sherbet Lemon

Yeah, I dont think Snape is a character you can realy define in good or bad terms. He cares only for himself. He hates Harry for James and Marauders. He picks on Neville because Neville is dull and less grasping than others, and most importantly a Gryffindor.
I agree with Piper. Snape had a tough and rude upbringing. He saw a hope in Lily, and that even was taken away by James. He had tough schooling with everyone around him picking on him. That is the reason he is just a negative minded wizard. A very clever and capable, but not friendly, of course.

"Let me tell you the secret that had led me to my goal. My strength lies, solely in my tenacity."
-Salazar Slytherin the founder of house Slytherin

"Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which all difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air."
-Godric Gryffindor the founder of house Gryffindor

"We have a hunger of the mind which asks for knowledge all around us. And the more we gain, the more is our desire."
-Rowena Ravenclaw the founder of house Ravenclaw
cagedcactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 07:05   #4
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

You know there is an interesting point here, both Nevil and Harry were possibilities with the prophecy, and Snape heard the first part of that prophecy . . . almost has to be a connection here.

I believe Snape does use a form of "tough love" with Harry. No . . . it isn't "love" but he does try to intimidate Harry to get him to work harder to prove himself. Even at the end of HBP when running from Hogwarts with Draco, he is telling Harry to close his mind, and to quit saying his spells out loud. At first glance that sounds like a taunt, but it isn't is it . . . If Snape were realy wanting Harry defeated, just don't say anything right . . . Just let Harry go on with his mind open and his spells heard . . .

With Nevil . . . I think that that is just Snapes cruelness. There are many who will pick at those less adept, thus making them feel inferior an nervous around them . . . in turn causing them to make even more mistakes . . . in turn increasing the severity of the taunts. BUT Nevil is comming round isn't he . . . He doesn't have to take potions any more, and he DOES excell in other areas, and is picking up steam in others . . . I say, watch out!

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 09:33   #5
Dr Winterbourne
Time Turners

I mentioned this before somewhere...[in Snape:JKR's Clue] but I think it is a combination of the hatred for Harry's dad, tough love, and a desire to defeat the Dark Lord that motivate Snape's behaviour.

Snape hated James; and now, he sees all that he once despised in him in Harry. He hates Harry's arrogance, his laziness, his mediocrity. But these things particularly grate on Snape because Snape knows as well as anyone that it is Harry that must defeat Voldemort - and Snape cannot stand it that this arrogant, lazy pup, who will not practice or get over himself, or acheive his potential abilities, is their only hope.

Hmm. I said it better before.

Last edited by Dr Winterbourne; 28-02-2007 at 09:38..
Dr Winterbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 11:28   #6
jimbo716
TFH Graduate

The sorting hat's song mentions something about slytherin being "where you'll find your friends" (paraphrase). possibly a clue as to the final relationship between HP/SS? Or, someone else. maybe Mal...
No, couldn't be.
Old 28-02-2007, 13:12   #7
Seeker615
Ghosthunter

Snape of course dosn't like Harry because of James. But I think he knows he has to "help" him so he can defeat Voldy. I think there is resentment for having to do this though.

As for Neville. I am not sure why he takes such great pleasure in shooting him down. Is it to to toughen him up? Does it make him feel better to knock someone down who is weaker than he is? Maybe he just doesn't have the patience to teach kids who can't grasp what he is trying to get across. At any point it isn't very nice and I always feel bad for Neville when Snape berates him.
Old 28-02-2007, 15:11   #8
Rory
TFH Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker615 View Post
At any point it isn't very nice and I always feel bad for Neville when Snape berates him.
I think that IS the point. We, as readers/observers, are supposed to dislike Snape. If he was lovely and kind to everyone except Harry, the feelings toward him would be more ambiguous.
Rory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:50   #9
Sirius Potter Fan
Night Patroll

I'm not certain about your wording Rory . . . I think that if Snape were only "mean" to Harry, it would make his feelings and intents toward him quite crystal clear. Since however Snape choses to be "mean" to several other students and not just Harry that makes his feelings toward Harry that much harder to decifer . . . Does he realy have it in for Harry due to Harry's father, or is he just a sadistic teacher who picks on the less apt.

There is no place I know to compare with pure imagination; living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be.
_Willy Wonka

Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will."

Mad-eye Moody's Law: "Murphy was an optimist!"
Sirius Potter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 18:59   #10
Rory
TFH Graduate

I do seem to have left out a few important words in that post.

If Snape were kind to Neville etc. the reader's feelings toward Snape would tend to be more ambiguous.

You wouldn't like him, because he's still mean to our boy Harry, but, after the James memory, you could understand his feelings about Harry, and accept Dumbledore's 'He's a changed man.' BUT, since we see the way he treats Neville among others, the reader doubts his change of heart. Can a sadist be a 'good' guy?

As Snape is running away with Draco in HBP is he still trying to 'teach' Harry? Or is he just taunting him?